[comp.sys.apple] Storage Size Limits for Apple OS's

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (08/07/89)

Is there any maximum storage size limits for either GSOS or ProDOS 8 ?
I'm considering building my own HD and I was wondering if it was worth
getting an 84 meg HD.  I'd be using Apple's SCSI card (revision C).
Thanks for any help.

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (08/08/89)

In article <4111@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:

>Is there any maximum storage size limits for either GSOS or ProDOS 8 ?
>I'm considering building my own HD and I was wondering if it was worth
>getting an 84 meg HD.  I'd be using Apple's SCSI card (revision C).
>Thanks for any help.

The ProDOS file system has a limit of 32Mb of storage.  Luckily, SCSI
drives can be partitioned into multiple virtual drives of smaller size.
Thus, you should be able to make 2 32Mb partitions and a 20 Mb partition
which will work fine (although I think ProDOS 8 only recognizes the
first 2 partitions of any drive, due to the fact that not more than two
drives can exist in the same slot)

Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
only?

--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/08/89)

In article <4111@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:

>Is there any maximum storage size limits for either GSOS or ProDOS 8 ?
>I'm considering building my own HD and I was wondering if it was worth
>getting an 84 meg HD.  I'd be using Apple's SCSI card (revision C).
>Thanks for any help.

	All ProDOS volumes (which are the only writable file
	systems under GS/OS) are limited to 32Mb in size.   Each
	file on a ProDOS volume is limited to 16Mb.

	You can, however, partition your hard drive into
	segments <= 32Mb.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com |

dougm@lakesys.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) (08/08/89)

In article <1126@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:

>Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
>formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
>write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
>only?

	The High Sierra FST is a read only FST. No code exists to write.
I'd imagine that it could be used on any SCSI device, as long as it is in
High Sierra format..

--
UUCP: uunet!marque!lakesys!dougm			Compuserve: 70611,2215
INET: dougm@lakesys.lakesys.COM	   GEnie: D.MCINTYRE1		 ALPE: DougMac

In article <1126@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:

>Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
>formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
>write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
>only?
>

>--
>Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX

Yes, there is a reason.  HS.FST (High Sierra/ISO 9660) is a read-only FST;
calls to write to a volume or change it in any way always return the "write
protected" error.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/09/89)

In article <1126@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:
>In article <4111@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:
>Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
>formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
>write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
>only?

	The High Sierra FST does not support formatting, or any other
	call which would attempt to create or alter data on a volume.
	But this does not mean that you can't do it.  I don't know of
	any published programs which would allow you to do this,
	however.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+

V2071A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") (08/09/89)

> In article <4111@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU
>   (Scott D Palmer) writes:
>
>>Is there any maximum storage size limits for either GSOS or ProDOS 8 ?
>>I'm considering building my own HD and I was wondering if it was worth
>>getting an 84 meg HD.  I'd be using Apple's SCSI card (revision C).
>>Thanks for any help.

>	All ProDOS volumes (which are the only writable file
>	systems under GS/OS) are limited to 32Mb in size.   Each
>	file on a ProDOS volume is limited to 16Mb.

>	You can, however, partition your hard drive into
>	segments <= 32Mb.

>Cary Farrier

To answer Scott's question about large HD's.  I have recently purchased
the Seagate ST-296-N  85 Meg SCSI drive and an A-Hive case from Tulin.

Here are some of my observations:

As mentioned in previous messages, the power switch on the case is
pretty lame.  I have an engineering student on my staff who says he
can mount a good switch on the back of the drive.  I used the
hard disk low level format program that is on Apple2-l.  I then
set up 3 partitions with the Advanced Disk Utility.  The first 2
are equal sections of 32M each (the max of ProDOS).  The last
partition used up the final 17M-18M on the drive.  All works fine
except that the last partition can only be accessed by GSOS
applications.  When I go to ProDOS8, I only get the first 2 partitions
mapped in drive 1 and 2.  Here is a list of the Hardware I have and
where it is in my GS:

     Slot 1  Printer Port
     Slot 2  Apple // SCSI Card
             Setting is Your Card
             (I have Mini-8 switch box on this port with:
              A - Appletalk box in Appletalk Network to LaserWriter+,
              B - Zoom Modem 2400)
     Slot 3-6 Normal Default Settings
     Slot 7   Built-in Appletalk.
              (I have mentioned in an earlier message that when I use
               the modem in Proterm 2.1 after booting GSOS 3.0, I get
               junk like there is a lot of line noise.  If I set slot 7
               to Your Card, it works fine.  Also, I don't have to make
               this change if I boot directly to ProDOS8 instead of
               GSOS.)

     I do have one question.  I'm having problems printing to the
LaserWriter Plus from Appleworks GS.  Sometimes I will get 1 page,
other times I will get a few pages, then the program stops and says
it can't print the document.  I know this is happening in the Word
Processor.  I haven't really tried it in other programs yet.  I
do have a lot of Mac traffic on the network (not AppleShare) but
even when there is no Macs printing, I still have the Problem.

Any comments???

Bye for now,

George A. Piotrowski                       Bitnet:     V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Coordinator, Educational Computing Cntr    Genie:      G.PIOTROWSKI
Temple University                          CompuServe: 74046,1304
Philadelphia, PA 19122   (215) 787-6228

The opinions expressed are my own and do not have anything to do with
Temple University. (well, not much)

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (08/10/89)

From article <8908090111.aa21611@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by V2071A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET ("George A. Piotrowski Jr."):
>      I do have one question.  I'm having problems printing to the
> LaserWriter Plus from Appleworks GS.  Sometimes I will get 1 page,
> other times I will get a few pages, then the program stops and says
> it can't print the document.  I know this is happening in the Word
> Processor.  I haven't really tried it in other programs yet.  I
> do have a lot of Mac traffic on the network (not AppleShare) but
> even when there is no Macs printing, I still have the Problem.
>
> Any comments???
I have a feeling you are running into memory problems.  With AppleShare,
System 5.0 takes up quite a bit more memory than 4.0.  How much memory do
you have?  What kind of document is it?  Does it have lots of fonts,
styles or sizes?  How many pages is it?

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (08/11/89)

Comment to message from: rochester!rit!ultb!lmb7421@rutgers.edu (L.M. Barstow)

Les Barstow writes:

> Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
> formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
> write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
> only?

Even if the write capability would be available for the HS format, would you
really want to convert a disk to that format?  If you would convert a hard
disk to HS format, then you could only access the disk from GSOS.  All of your
ProDOS 8 and earlier ProDOS 16 applications would be locked out from your hard
disk.  Sounds a little less than useful to me.

Sam
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT@nosc.mil
INET: SamT@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!SamT@psuvax1

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (08/14/89)

In article <8908121404.AA19486@trout.nosc.mil> samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) writes:
>Comment to message from: rochester!rit!ultb!lmb7421@rutgers.edu (L.M. Barstow)
=
=Les Barstow writes:
=
=> Now for a question:  Is there any reason why a hard drive couldn't be
=> formatted in High Sierra/ISO 9660 format from GS/OS?  Does the code to
=> write to a disk exist?  Or is High Sierra for the GS limited to CD-ROM
=> only?
=
=Even if the write capability would be available for the HS format, would you
=really want to convert a disk to that format?  If you would convert a hard
=disk to HS format, then you could only access the disk from GSOS.  All of your
=ProDOS 8 and earlier ProDOS 16 applications would be locked out from your hard
=disk.  Sounds a little less than useful to me.
=
If the write-capability was available, I would probably switch just
about everything I *own* over to HS format.  A lot of the programs I use
now are not ProDOS-8 dependent.  Loss of some of my disk-space in
exchange for more flexability in filenames, etc...would definitely be a
step up in some cases.  I feel very restricted by the 15-character,
upper-case-and-numbers-only format of ProDOS.  When someone asked a
while back about a GS/OS-specific file system, I was all for it for the
same reasons.  What I'm looking for is a file system which frees me from
some of the constraints of ProDOS, and allows me to do more.  I don't
even care if it's DOS 3.3 updated to handle subdirectories and a larger
disksize.  I just want something which gives me freedom.

--

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/14/89)

In article <1146@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:
>If the write-capability was available, I would probably switch just
>about everything I *own* over to HS format.  A lot of the programs I use
>now are not ProDOS-8 dependent.  Loss of some of my disk-space in
>exchange for more flexability in filenames, etc...would definitely be a
>step up in some cases.  I feel very restricted by the 15-character,
>upper-case-and-numbers-only format of ProDOS.  When someone asked a
>while back about a GS/OS-specific file system, I was all for it for the
>same reasons.  What I'm looking for is a file system which frees me from
>some of the constraints of ProDOS, and allows me to do more.  I don't
>even care if it's DOS 3.3 updated to handle subdirectories and a larger
>disksize.  I just want something which gives me freedom.

	I hope that you are ready to go back to the days of
	using the K(runch disk files option.  Unfortunately, the
	HS/ISO 9660 file systems store files in ranges of
	contiguous blocks, which is good for speed, but not for
	space.  As far as the filename length, you are limited to 32
	characters under HS/ISO.  About the upper-case-and-numbers-only
	format of ProDOS: ProDOS *does* support upper/lower case now,
	and HS/ISO only support upper case.  Also, HS/ISO both limit
	subdirectories to eight levels of nesting, ProDOS doesn't.
	There are also *numerous* structures in the HS/ISO volumes
	which would need to be updated constantly.

Cary Farrier
--
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com | The contents of this article are |