[comp.sys.apple] use of : instead of /

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (System Administrator) (08/06/89)

Network Comment: to #4396 by obsolete!TMPLee%DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL

GS/OS understands using "/" and ":" and can actually use other characters as
well.  FSTs determine which ones are legal for a given file system but the ":"
stuff is there mostly to be like the Mac.  Note that the separators aren't
really part of the file name but only separate directory names on the way to
the file name so using ":" won't keep you from being able to get to a file
from a P8 or old P16 application.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/08/89)

In article <8908052325.AA11880@obsolete.UUCP> delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
>Network Comment: to #4396 by obsolete!TMPLee%DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL
>
>GS/OS understands using "/" and ":" and can actually use other characters as
>well.

	Nope, just '/' and ':' are understood to be path separators.

>  FSTs determine which ones are legal for a given file system but the ":"
>stuff is there mostly to be like the Mac.

	The reasoning behind using a ':' as a separator is to support
	file systems which utilize the '/' as a legal character in a
	filename.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com |

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/09/89)

You say that ':' was chosen as another way of separating paths because some
OSs use / as part of legal filenames.  How do the GS/OS people expect to
handle OSs that use BOTH in legal filenames?

Oh, BTW, since Cary sends mail from there, is the FTP connection to
apple.com (apple.apple.com) down, is the machine down, or is there some
break in the network between andrew.cmu.edu and there?

Thanks!

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/09/89)

In article <3391@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>	The reasoning behind using a ':' as a separator is to support
>	file systems which utilize the '/' as a legal character in a
>	filename.

Harumph.  What about file systems (e.g. UNIX) for which ':' is a legal
character in a filename?

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (System Administrator) (08/09/89)

Network Comment: to #4561 by obsolete!haven!adm!smoke!gwyn%purdue.edu

Harumph?  GS/OS takes as the terminator the first terminator used in a
pathname so if you start out using : then : is the terminator.  If you start
the path with / then / is the terminator and : could be in the file/directory
names.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/09/89)

In article <AYrldP600XoIM18VB_@andrew.cmu.edu> bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) writes:

>You say that ':' was chosen as another way of separating paths because some
>OSs use / as part of legal filenames.  How do the GS/OS people expect to
>handle OSs that use BOTH in legal filenames?

	Unfortunately, we don't.  You will have to take care in naming
	your files, if no other alternative is provided.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/10/89)

In article <8908092340.AA26029@trout.nosc.mil> delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
-Harumph?  GS/OS takes as the terminator the first terminator used in a
-pathname so if you start out using : then : is the terminator.  If you start
-the path with / then / is the terminator and : could be in the file/directory
-names.

So "a:b/c" parses as "a" "b/c" while "a/b:c" parses as "a" "b:c"?
Is that supposed to be rational?

In article <10699@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <8908092340.AA26029@trout.nosc.mil> delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>-Harumph?  GS/OS takes as the terminator the first terminator used in a
>-pathname so if you start out using : then : is the terminator.  If you start
>-the path with / then / is the terminator and : could be in the file/directory
>-names.
>
>So "a:b/c" parses as "a" "b/c" while "a/b:c" parses as "a" "b:c"?
>Is that supposed to be rational?

No, it's not, and it isn't.  It's wrong.

If GS/OS finds a "/" before a ":", then "/" becomes the terminator.  However,
colons are *ALWAYS* illegal in GS/OS pathnames, and "a/b:c" will return an
"invalid pathname syntax" error, unless preceded by something with a colon
to make the colon the terminator.  For example, "10:a/b:c" is a perfectly
legal pathname.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (08/11/89)

From article <10699@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> In article <8908092340.AA26029@trout.nosc.mil> delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
> -Harumph?  GS/OS takes as the terminator the first terminator used in a
> -pathname so if you start out using : then : is the terminator.  If you start
> -the path with / then / is the terminator and : could be in the file/directory
> -names.
>
> So "a:b/c" parses as "a" "b/c" while "a/b:c" parses as "a" "b:c"?
> Is that supposed to be rational?

What he meant is :
 ":a:b/c" parses "a" and "b/c"
 "/a:b/c" parses "a:b" and "c"

I imagine it goes through some serious higgery jiggery when parsing partial
pathnames.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/11/89)

In article <10699@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>So "a:b/c" parses as "a" "b/c" while "a/b:c" parses as "a" "b:c"?
>Is that supposed to be rational?

	Yes, this allows you to use file systems which use the colon
	as a separator and the slash as a character.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com | The contents of this article are |

In article <3478@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <10699@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>So "a:b/c" parses as "a" "b/c" while "a/b:c" parses as "a" "b:c"?
>>Is that supposed to be rational?
>
>	Yes, this allows you to use file systems which use the colon
>	as a separator and the slash as a character.

	Whoops, but only in the first combination.  The second
	combination is illegal *always* in GS/OS, because the
	colon is always illegal in a GS/OS path (because of the
	way things work on the inside).

Cary Farrier

--
+--------------+-------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com | The contents of this article are |
+--------------+-------------------------+ real.  Only the facts have been  |
|      Copyright 1989 Cary Farrier       | changed to protect the innocent. |
|          All Rights Reserved           |                                  |
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (08/11/89)

Network Comment: to #4635 by obsolete!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!indri!aplcen!haven!adm!smoke!gwyn%csd4.milw.wisc.edu

They were going to require nulls as separators but the use of multiple chars
as separators was a compromise.  Which way would you like to see it done to
support using "/" and/or ":" in a file or directory's name?

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (08/13/89)

Don I'll have to go for the '/'.  That keeps thing in line with Many other
systems especailly UNIX.  I'ld prefer the VMS method if I had a choice
DISK:[dir.dir.dir]file but then the periods get in the way on an apple.

Let us all know about ECP16 and GS/OS system software 5.0.  Are their any
compatability problems.

What revisions have been made to TIC in the last year

Grant Delaney

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/15/89)

In article <8908130642.AA28955@trout.nosc.mil> delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) writes:
>They were going to require nulls as separators but the use of multiple chars
>as separators was a compromise.  Which way would you like to see it done to
>support using "/" and/or ":" in a file or directory's name?

Nulls would have been utterly horrible!  Think of the problems in using
that from C programs.

Whenever a character is given a special meaning, e.g. delimiter, one
should at the same time make provisions for an escape mechanism so that
the special meaning can be removed when necessary.