[comp.sys.apple] What languages do you want.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (08/02/89)

Here's on for all of you.  At one of the sessions in Kansas it was present to
Apple that their was a need for more high level languages for the GS.  The
2 most Vocally reprented were Fortran and (heaven forbid) COBAL.  The Vocal
side of Western Designed wanted every language and offered to get money to
get Byte Works to write them as they appeared to be the only developer with
the resources to do it.  Even an unnamed former Canadian at APPLE piped up
with C++ to inhance ORCA C.

Lets hear what your votes are and I'll forward the results on to the
appropriate parties.

Grant

>Here's one for all of you.  At one of the sessions in Kansas it was present to
>Apple that their was a need for more high level languages for the GS.  The
>2 most Vocally reprented were Fortran and (heaven forbid) COBAL.

It's certainly not a BAL, er ball, if you have to write a data division for
COBOL ('O' - as in how you feel if someone asks you to maintain the payroll
written in ...guess what :-(

The best reason for making COBOL, in some form, available on the IIgs is that
the largest number of job VACANCIES for programmers IS for COBOL.  Think of
how many people could pay their own way through college maintaining business
software; it may be mind numbing, but it beats flipping burgers.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (08/03/89)

TO Grant.....

I would like to see C++ eventhough I just got my C compiler. I would also
like to see a PL/I compiler....

Robert

BITNET: RXBROWN@UALR

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/03/89)

From article <121*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn>, by delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney"):

A language that doesn't get mentioned often is FORTH. How many
people know about GS16FORTH? There is a demo version available on
Compuserve and Genie, among others. Keep in mind that the author
wrote the documentation assuming you were fairly conversant in
FORTH so it is especially important that you start with a copy of
Leo Brodie's book, "Starting FORTH," which costs somewhere around
$15.

The author is working now on a version that supports
System Disk 5. I have no idea when it will be available.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

bmc@sun1.MAYO.EDU (Bruce Cameron) (08/03/89)

I would like to see LISP, Smalltalk and C++ for the GS.

--Bruce
We seek a world free of war and the threat of war. We seek a society
with equity and justice for all. We seek a community where every
person's potential may be fulfilled. We seek an earth restored.
                                                          -----FCNL

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (08/04/89)

How about an APL?   I think the Apple II and its operating system have
grown up enough to make a practical APL possible on the II.   We have
a potentially huge memory space (up to 8 megabytes), standardized font
management (APL uses a unique font) and some sophisticated development
environments to write it in.

Seymour

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley the Troll ) (08/05/89)

In article <955@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>A language that doesn't get mentioned often is FORTH. How many
>people know about GS16FORTH? There is a demo version available on ...

First, who is the author and how can I get in touch with him/her?  Is he/she on
the net (UseNet or InterNet) ?

Second, is the demo available on any ftp sites or from APPLE2-L?  If not, would
it be possible for someone to post it (after getting permission from the
author...) ?

Thanks,
- John

      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           | A Bureaucrat is a person who
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | cuts red tape sideways.
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (08/05/89)

>How about an APL?   I think the Apple II and its operating system have
>grown up enough to make a practical APL possible on the II.   We have
>a potentially huge memory space (up to 8 megabytes), standardized font
>management (APL uses a unique font) and some sophisticated development
>environments to write it in.
>
>Seymour

  I agree.  BTW, does anyone know whether there is an APL font available
for the IIGS?

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau) (08/10/89)

In article <8908042018.aa02544@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
>>How about an APL?   I think the Apple II and its operating system have
>>grown up enough to make a practical APL possible on the II.   We have
>>a potentially huge memory space (up to 8 megabytes), standardized font
>>management (APL uses a unique font) and some sophisticated development
>>environments to write it in.
>>
>>Seymour
>
>  I agree.  BTW, does anyone know whether there is an APL font available
>for the IIGS?
>

>Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
>Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
>University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
>32 Hillside Avenue         |
>Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
>(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

Well, I'm working on an APL interpreter for the Apple // series..   I'm
currently writing it in Pascal (Kyan version 2.0).   I haven't worked out
the graphic character set yet, (I'm using ctrl-n to switch between charsets
and then using a picture of the keyboard with the APL symbols.  This is
admittedly clumsy (and hard to edit because you can't tell if a char is an
overstrike (only the strikeover char is shown..  what do you expect in text??)
but amazingly, it actually works)..  I may, if I really get ambitious, make
use of the graphics capabilities of Kyan pascal and make a graphic charset
If not, I'll probably go the route of the dot-commands (.iota etc).
Currently, the source is around 8 pages long, but it executes quite fast
(not even as fast as Applesoft, but for an interpreter written in a rather
inefficient compiled language, I'm quite pleased..)
I suppose, once I complete it, I'll make it shareware for $20 or something
and let someone make a GS-only version with Orca Pascal or the like..

I've also got a Lisp interpreter in the works, but that will take some more
time..  (Do you know how hard it is to implement a good LIST structure in
either C or Pascal??)

Chris Lau
Software Design Engineer
NovAtel Communications Ltd.

Replies->  If it's interesting, post it to the newsgroup.  If not,
	   CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
	   lauch!vaxa@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Disclaimer-> I didn't say it, the computer did!

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) (08/11/89)

Network Comment: to #6251 by obsolete!att!cbnewsd!bird%ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Talking about Forth, I have seen the ad for it in a few of the magazines and
have had some interest.  The question I have is, Is there an Apple Market for
such a language.  I have heard (way back in BYTE magazine) about it and it was
just briefly talked about.  I just wonder what applications can be best
written in Forth?  Is it better than PASCAL in the sense of teaching
beginners?  Is it structured?  Is it commonly used in the REAL world?

Many questions from a simple mind!

Sam Robertson
Applelink:  Lexter               || Sam Robertson   Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
GENIE:      SL.Robertson         || 1357 Santos           Sysop (Saw)
Proline:    Lexter@Pro-Abilink   || Abilene Texas 79605   (915)673-6856
INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com || UUCP: Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter
            ARPA:  Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
        " Tuesday Morning, please go away, I'm tired of you.
           What have I got to lose. "      --   CSN&Y

MGRJTC@ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.EDU ("Jerrod T. Carter, Asst. Manager") (08/12/89)

How about instead of FORTH a compiler for PostScript.  From what I understand,
it is just about like FORTH and with the POSTSCRIPT printers around, it would
seem that a POSTSCRIPT compiler would be the way to go.  It is a REAL language,
not just something for printers and graphics.  That is only about 1/3 of the
language.

Jerrod Carter
"The above opinions might not necessarily be yours, but they should be!"

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/15/89)

From article <8908111748.AA01529@trout.nosc.mil>, by lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson):
> Network Comment: to #6251 by obsolete!att!cbnewsd!bird%ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>
> Is there an Apple Market for such a language.

Yes, however, not in the same sense as C, Fortran, Cobol, etc.

> I just wonder what applications can be best written in Forth?
> Is it better than PASCAL in the sense of teaching beginners?  Is
> it structured?  Is it commonly used in the REAL world?

Any application that can be written in any other language. With
Forth, the executition speed will be faster than most of the above
and the object size will "always" be much less.

Answering the question as to whether this language is better than
that language is never fruitful. Forth does tend to teach one to
"think small" and not waste resources. It is much like Pascal in
that before a Forth word can be incorporated in another, it must
already be defined. It reuses code like no other higher level
language I've ever seen.

As to whether it is structured, if you mean, "does it require
indentation and almost always semicolons?" The answer is, "no." If
you mean, "does it espouse a methodology where the intent of the
design can be imparted to another?" then the answer is, "yes."

One example in the real world I know of is the popular IIgs
program, "Math Blaster."

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356