[comp.sys.apple] System 5.0 run around

eddie@CC.MSSTATE.EDU (Eddie Mikell) (08/02/89)

Yesterday (August 2) I went to a local apple dealer (BESCO in Columbus, MS)
to obtain a copy of System 5.0 for the IIGS.  I was somewhat shocked when
the dealer told me it would cost $265 for an upgrade with the manuals, and
she proceeded to tell me that the System would not be out until "late
October", and I had to buy the manuals in order to get the software.

Well, I whipped out a copy of my apple press release to show
her the release date, and that a software upgrade was free.

The story starts getting more interesting.  She precedes to call the
the regional manager in Memphis, TN, who tells her, no he hasn't
received a copy, it hasn't been released, and he has heard 'there are
very minor changes between 4 and 5'.  She starts reading from the
press release (as well as from some of the notes off of info-apple).

The manager from Memphis calls the Atlanta office.  Guess what?  The
Atlanta office says no, 5 will not be released till this fall, will not
be sold without the manuals, there is no educational discount, and
continue using 4, since there are no major changes between 4 and 5.

I still don't have a clue where to get a System 5.0 disk, how much will
it cost, or should I even keep the Apple.

It's amazing how bad the information flow is between the Apple dealers.  I
can almost understand such problems with a very small dealer in a town where
maybe, 10 or 20 IIgs are sold a year, but Atlanta?

Can anyone give me a clue on how the software should cost with the manuals,
and a person I can talk with at Apple that actually knows what is
going on?

Thanks,

Eddie H. Mikell
Mississippi State University

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.") (08/09/89)

     I have a similar problem.  I ordered System 5.0 from the local dealer
the day after the realease (backorder, of course,) and the release was new
to him.  This doesn't suprise me, but the salesman claims to have not heard
about the release as of today (8-8)
     I'd be great if I could get a copy.  Heck, it's on AppleLink, a 'public'
service, why not before the actual dealers?  Of couse...{=

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/10/89)

In article <8908021459.AA00382@Wally.CC.MsState.Edu> eddie@CC.MSSTATE.EDU (Eddie Mikell) writes:
>It's amazing how bad the information flow is between the Apple dealers.  I
>can almost understand such problems with a very small dealer in a town where
>maybe, 10 or 20 IIgs are sold a year, but Atlanta?

Don't get too shocked, but about a year ago when I was in the Silicon
Valley area (Apple's corporate backyard), I tried getting similar
information (of course about a different Apple product, I think it was
a ROM upgrade, maybe SCSI interface Rev. C, or the ProFile interface)
from several Apple dealers in the area, located via the Yellow Pages,
and the few dealers who hadn't dumped Apple for IBM PC compatibles
were generally as ignorant as the ones you reported.  I finally found
one who was nice enough to try to obtain the information through
AppleLink, with no success despite considerable effort.  (I finally
found out what I needed to know through this newsgroup.)

If the Cupertino/Palo Alto/etc. Apple dealers don't know about such
(absolutely ESSENTIAL) product upgrades, certainly I wouldn't expect
ones farther away to know anything at all.  Something is seriously
wrong with that dealership program..

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/10/89)

In article <10693@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>[...] Something is seriously wrong with that dealership program..

	What you, and everybody else, need to do, is to write down
	your complaints and send them here to Apple!  If enough
	people get audible, then things will change.  Now as far
	as whom to send the complaints to, I can't suggest any
	one in particular (But I'm sure you can think of a few
	names, right?! :-) ).

Cary Farrier

--
+--------------+-------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com | The contents of this article are |

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (08/10/89)

Eddie,
 Your definitely getting the run around.  The upgrade is free as long as you
 bring in your own disks or buy two from the dealer. Oh show them your 4.0 or
 buy the whole thing with manuals for around $45.  I'd definitely let someone
 at Apple know of this.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/10/89)

In article <3437@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <10693@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>[...] Something is seriously wrong with that dealership program..
>
>	What you, and everybody else, need to do, is to write down
>	your complaints and send them here to Apple!  If enough
>	people get audible, then things will change.  Now as far
>	as whom to send the complaints to, I can't suggest any
>	one in particular (But I'm sure you can think of a few
>	names, right?! :-) ).
>
>Cary Farrier

According to Open-Apple, p4.57

	If your dealer is unsuccessful in obtaining asnwers to your
	questions, Apple's Customer Relations wants to know about
	it. They would like the following - the name, address, and
	telephone number to whom you directed your inquiry, name of
	the sales or service person with whom you spoke, the configuration
	or Apple equiptment and software you are using, and a brief
	summary of your inquiry.  Send your report to:

		Customer Relations
		Apple Computer, Inc.
		20525 Marinani Ave, MS 37-S
 		Cupertino, CA  95014
		Attn: Dealer Evaluations.

----

Henry Throop

Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (08/11/89)

Comment to message from: eddie@cc.msstate.edu (Eddie Mikell)

Eddie H Mikell writes:

> Can anyone give me a clue on how much the software (System Disk 5.0) should
> cost with the manuals and a person I can talk with at Apple that actually
> knows what is going on?

It seems to very difficult to find anyone outside of Matt and the other Apple
// developers that knows or cares about the GS and related topics.

The software should cost $49.  It should be on the dealers order lists.  Our
dealers in Houston have received their copies.  You will have to get you
dealer to order the packages.

Sam

AppleLink PE has copies of the System Disk online for downloading.

----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT@nosc.mil
INET: SamT@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!SamT@psuvax1

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/13/89)

In article <8908121959.AA22753@trout.nosc.mil> samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) writes:
>The software should cost $49.  It should be on the dealers order lists.  Our
>dealers in Houston have received their copies.

The dealer I finally copied System Disk 5.0 (please, not "System 5"!)
from told me that the documentation had been recalled due to references
to System Disk 6 in it.  That seems pretty strange to me, but it might
explain why they seem to be late getting the package in stock.

In article <10722@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>The dealer I finally copied System Disk 5.0 (please, not "System 5"!)
>from told me that the documentation had been recalled due to references
>to System Disk 6 in it.  That seems pretty strange to me, but it might
>explain why they seem to be late getting the package in stock.

Please - System Software 5.0 <grin>

The documentation was not recalled for any reason; it's out and available
(and even on the shelves in many places).  This one is one of the funnier
ones I've heard, though.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (08/15/89)

Here's even a better idea to get a problem solved if you have a delaer
problem.  (My reps will probably hate me for this, but they did
say that they wanted to know...)

First, find out where your regional Apple computer office is (I can tell you
if you don't know) and call them.  Politely ask for whomever is the
dealer sales representative for whatever store you are having problems
with.  When you read said person, explain who you are, what computer
you own, whether you bought it from the dealer in question, and your
situation.  DO NOT enter the conversation as if this man is Lord Tarim
and is going to get your hard drive fixed gratis.  Being an ass doesn't
help here.  Instead, explain things in terms like "Poor knowledge
of Apple products", or "incompetent personnel (have names ready and reason)"
or "slow or poor service".  I guarentee you that by the time you hang
up that your Apple dealer rep will already start finding out what's wrong
with his store, and what's it going to take to correct the problem.
Your Apple dealer rep makes his money from the commission based on sales
from the stores in his region.  If one customer called saying that a dealer
has a problem with general customer service, then chances are that several
others have and just haven't bothered to call, and that means he's probably
losing money and customer mindshare.  I get calls all the time from people
with problems that turns out to be a dealer issue.  These things *can* be
fixed.  Apple *does* care.  Just take the time to let us know.

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |