[comp.sys.apple] Appleworks GS communications module

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (08/09/89)

Anybody else have this problem, and more importantly, know how to fix it?  I
tried out the communications module in AWGS and discovered, much to my dismay,
that the font is rather screwed up.  It seems to be shaston 14 point, or 18
point, so the characters all overlap and make each other completely unreadable.
This happens in the edit line, the session record section, and the status bar.
Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,

                                                Bill Dickson
                                                DICKSON@HARTFORD

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (08/10/89)

In article <8908091041.aa29643@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET writes:

> Anybody else have this problem, and more importantly, know how to fix it?  I
> tried out the communications module in AWGS and discovered, much to my dismay,
> that the font is rather screwed up.  It seems to be shaston 14 point, or 18
> point, so the characters all overlap and make each other completely unreadable.
> This happens in the edit line, the session record section, and the status bar.

Sounds like you don't have the right font.  You HAVE to have Monaco 9.  Other-
wise, it's probably scaling Shaston-16 to 9 pt and doing a miserable job.  AWGS
ships with Monaco 9, but System 5.0 doesn't, so if you've been trying that,
you probably need to copy the font off of your original system disk.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (08/11/89)

From article <8908091041.aa29643@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET:
> Anybody else have this problem, and more importantly, know how to fix it?  I
> tried out the communications module in AWGS and discovered, much to my dismay,
> that the font is rather screwed up.  It seems to be shaston 14 point, or 18
> point, so the characters all overlap and make each other completely unreadable.
> This happens in the edit line, the session record section, and the status bar.
> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,
>
>                                                 Bill Dickson
>                                                 DICKSON@HARTFORD
You need Monaco 9, which is included on the standard AWGS.System disk.
What you are seeing is Shaston 9 as scaled by the Font Manager.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (08/15/89)

Speaking of the Communications module, can we expect a fix so that
the comm module will work when Appletalk is enabled under GS/OS 3.0?

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |