[comp.sys.apple] Apple II/GS Died ...

brinkema@fjcnet.GOV (John R. Brinkema) (08/07/89)

My relatively new GS (December) died last night.  There was a 'crackle' and the
computer died.  The green power light on the CPU is off.  The green power light
on the Monitor is on.

I assume that this is a power problem.  I checked all the cables and outlets;
the all seem OK.  I open the CPU box and tried to look at the power supply, but
at the moment I don't have a phillips head small enough to take off the power
supply lid.  Is there anything inside the power supply that a reasonably
competent owner can fix?  What should I be looking for.

If I have to turn this over to a service person, is it any cheaper to give them
just the power supply?  If so, I need to check it; what are the output
voltages.

Lastly, am I missing some obvious (or not so obvious) alternative
analysis of the problemr?  Thanks for your help.             jb.

billh@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Harris) (08/16/89)

I had much the same problem on our IIGS (also bought last December!).  Its
problem was a bit more intermittent than you described; it did start
working briefly twice as I was troubleshooting it.  I first opened up the
computer case and verified that no voltages were coming out of the supply.
I then opened up the power supply case, verified the internal fuse was
still good, and decided to take it to my dealer instead of troubleshooting
a switching power supply with no schematics.  (I couldn't find anything
obvious through visual inspection or simple voltmeter measurements.)

The dealer (Computerland) verified that the supply was bad and replaced it
with a new supply, all for about $180 including tax.  That included the
minimum of 1 hour of labor.  They also tested it with a string of disks
attached.  I suspect that they wouldn't have charged me less for bringing
in only the supply.

Oh yes, I asked, and the repair person said that they have had very few
defective IIGS power supplies.

Bill Harris

billh%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/16/89)

In article <5020003@hplsla.HP.COM> billh@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Harris) writes:
[....]
>Oh yes, I asked, and the repair person said that they have had very few
>defective IIGS power supplies.
>
>Bill Harris

I had on go bad on me - no system errors, but a 'clicking' coming from the
power supply every time a character was printed to the text screen.  Real
annoying.  My dealer had not heard of this before, but replacing the power
supply (under warranty) fixed the problem.  Interestingly, I read a few months
later that this is actually normal (according to Apple) and a by-product
of the switching design.

Incidently, the power supply ws not the only thing to go bad on me - I also
sent through 3 motherboards, 2 keyboard, 2 monitors, and 3 disk drives before
I got everything working.

Henry

Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu