[comp.sys.apple] Accessing those extra font characters on the GS

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (08/14/89)

Thanks to Robert Rosenberg on Compuserve I've discovered that APPLEWORKS Gs
when launched from System Utilities 5.0 GS/OS 3.0 ?(correct me if I'm wrong
 MATT ).

It appears we've caught up with the our Rich Bother or Sister as you might call
it the MAC.  You can access a whole series buy holding down the option key and
then typing a character.  A set of acute, Grave, Circumflex, Umlaut and Tilde
characters are available with option key prefixes below:

ACCENT                   OPTION PREFIX              VALID KEYS
------                   --------------             ----------

Acute '                   Option-e                   a e i o u E

Grave `                   Option-`                   a e i o u A

Circumflex ^              Option-i                   a e i o u

Umlaut/Dirisis            Option-u                   a e i o u E

Tilde ~                   Option-n                   a A o O n N

Cedilla   available by single option "c C a A o O s"

Hope this helps some of you.  I'm still tring to find out if it works in other
applications the same but I keep running into non system disk compatable
software.

Grant

In article <263*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") writes:
>Thanks to Robert Rosenberg on Compuserve I've discovered that APPLEWORKS Gs
>when launched from System Utilities 5.0 GS/OS 3.0 ?(correct me if I'm wrong
> MATT ).

Well, Grant, I'd be happy to correct any errors, but your sentence had no
predicate.  With no action, errors are unlikely.  :)

The translation works almost exactly as it does on the Macintosh, and is
user-configurable with the "Alphabet" CDev in the Control Panel NDA.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (08/16/89)

In article <263*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") writes:

   Thanks to Robert Rosenberg on Compuserve I've discovered that APPLEWORKS Gs
   when launched from System Utilities 5.0 GS/OS 3.0 ?(correct me if I'm wrong
    MATT ).
You've discovered that AppleWorks GS?  Should we convert this sentence out of
trademark to make it legible... "I've discovered that Apple works GS when
launched from System..."  :-)

The high-ascii mapping is almost exactly like the Mac except for 5 little
exceptions having to do with the double-keystroke modifiers: opt-`,~,e,u,i.  On
the Mac, typing one of these twice gives you a single character with a
modifier pending:  if you type <opt-i><opt-i><o>, you get <caret><o with a

I've got a mac-like KeyCaps NDA that I'll post as soon as I get it a little
more debugged that'll help people see what characters they can get.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (08/16/89)

I look forward to your NDA (although I hope someone posts it on Compu$erve as
I don't have a convenient way to get programs from the internet.  A key caps
has been on my wish list for some time, even without the new translator (for
finding dingbat keymaps for example).