[comp.sys.apple] Chaos

dkonerding@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/08/89)

	Hi folks.  I've written a very tiny BASIC program which simulates the
"game of chaos", as seen on NOVA.  It's a simple game, played often on a peice
of paper, although it's quite more exciting to watch at higher speeds (like
LIFE).  The rules are also simple- place three dots on a blank paper, they
form a triangle.  Choose one dot as a starting dot.  Roll a 6-sided die.  If
you get a 1 or 2, draw a dot exactly halfway between the starting point and
the first dot you drew.  If you get a 3 or 4, draw it between the starting
point and the second dot on the page.  5 or 6- and the third dot in the
"triangle".  Make this new halfway point the new starting point, and start
over-- roll the die, etc.  Due to the nature of strange attractors, it was
draw a fascinating pattern, certainly the best in any two line program I've
ever seen.  If you'd like it, I can post it to comp.apple2.binaries-- just
ask.  I've also got a ZBASIC version which I wrote, which positivitely flies.

	Any one else out there found any other implementations of the game?
I've written an IBM (boo!) version which also works well and has color-- I can
imagine what a GS could do.  If you have another version, tell me where to
find it and what it can do-- mine just plays the simple game, although I've
started expanding it to include more points, more rules, thirds instead of
halves, etc.

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (08/08/89)

>	Hi folks.  I've written a very tiny BASIC program which simulates the
>"game of chaos", as seen on NOVA.  It's a simple game, played often on a peice
>
> If you'd like it, I can post it to comp.apple2.binaries-- just
ask.

I'd like to see it posted, or at least send me a copy.  Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instuctional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?    DISSERTATION?     AAARGH!!!     My recruiter lied to me!!!!!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) (08/09/89)

                                                        ----------------

> ever seen.  If you'd like it, I can post it to comp.apple2.binaries-- just
                                                 --------------------

     If it's only TWO LINES long why not just put it here?  It would be better
not to clog up 'comp.binaries.apple2'.  (do post it, though--it sounds good)

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (08/09/89)

Network Comment: to #10234 by eagle!dkonerding@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Yeah, I would really like to see that...is it too big or can ya send me a copy
?  Thanks in advance...

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/16/89)

In case anyone is interested, I just wrote an ML version of David Konerding's
Chaos program.  It runs about 20 times as fast, and has a simple editor to
enter new points.  Let me know if anyone wants it and I'll send you a copy.

Henry

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (08/17/89)

Comment to message from: obsolete!jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU!throoph%cs.orst.edu (Henry Throop)

Henry, would you please send me a copy of your ML version of David Konerding's
Chaos program?  Thanks.

:edward

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward                  ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil              CompuServe: 73220,1624