[comp.sys.apple] Error Message

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/15/89)

Had a problem with my gs today.  Whenever I tried accessing my CDA menu by
hitting OA-Ctrl-Esc my system crashed with Error $0000.  This was a little
disturbing after the fourth reboot and getting the same thing, so I tried a
self test by hitting OA-Option-Ctrl-Reset.  After doing its thing for a while,
it made a high pitched beep and put on the screen something like:

0901001
 0901001
  0901001

System bad:  Error 0901001

This was on a yellow background instead of the normal purple (I think its
purple).  After powering the system down for several minutes then powering
back up, I again ran the self test and got - System Good!

OK, is something wrong here or is my computer just getting brain farts or
something?  I would like to get some idea of what happened; would anyone care
to comment on it?  I sure would appreciate it  :)

                                        Laer

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/16/89)

In article <8908150805.AA14433@trout.nosc.mil> lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) writes:
>Had a problem with my gs today.  Whenever I tried accessing my CDA menu by
>hitting OA-Ctrl-Esc my system crashed with Error $0000.  This was a little
>disturbing after the fourth reboot and getting the same thing, so I tried a
>self test by hitting OA-Option-Ctrl-Reset.  After doing its thing for a while,
>it made a high pitched beep and put on the screen something like:
>0901001
> 0901001
>  0901001
>System bad:  Error 0901001
>[...]  After powering the system down for several minutes then powering
>back up, I again ran the self test and got - System Good!

Fatal System Error 0911 and System Bad 09010001 mean that the system had
trouble synchronizing with the Apple Desktop Bus microcontroller chip (the
"key micro").  This happens to me sometimes on my system at home, just like
you describe (problem goes away after powering down for a few minutes).

(Are you really getting Error $0000, not $0911?  I don't understand that.)

Besides when you hit Apple-Ctrl-ESC, the system also synchronizes with the
ADB chip when you power on or hit Control-Reset, with or without Apple
and/or Option, and when you make changes to Battery-RAM values (for example,
using either the Control Panel CDA or the Control Panel NDA)--so you can
get fatal errors at these times, too.

Some users have decided the problem is heat-related; some have decided it's
related to an overloaded power supply.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

jpapo@pro-realm.cts.com (Jeff Papo) (08/17/89)

Network Comment: to #1243 by lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

   I also had the same problem (system Bad....error)  well I messed around
with the control panel.  Change the standards (In display) and make sure it
says yes.  If that don't work well just try adjusting a few things.  That is
what I did.  Mainly because when i called my apple dealer he just said "well i
do not know anything about this??"
        You know what you may try is to disconnect all you drives and do the
test To make sure it is not the drive...  (Or what ever other external
hardware you have).    Other than that   who knows???
ProLine: jpapo@pro-realm            BITNET: jpapo%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!jpapo  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!jpapo@nosc.mil

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/17/89)

Network Comment: to #10017 by dlyons@apple.com

>(Are you really getting Error $0000, not $0911?  I don't understand that.)

Error $0000 was the first error that came up on the screen when going to the
CDA menu.  The system would boot fine and worked OK until I hit OA-Ctrl-Esc.
When trying a Ctrl-Reset I got the Error $0911 screen.  Upon doing a self-test
I got the System Bad 09010001.  You don't know what Error $0000 is?  My
computer must be getting brain farts in its old age :( <grin>

                                        Laer