[comp.sys.apple] HomeBrew HDs

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (07/26/89)

I'm planning on constructing my own HD for my Apple //gs.
In reading several articles, I came to the conclusion that using a
Seagate ST277N drive was the best bet.
My question :  What about ST277N-1 drives ?  They have a 28ms access time ratherthan the 40ms of the ST277N.  Would I encounter any problems using this drive unit ?

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (07/26/89)

In article italfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:
>I'm planning on constructing my own HD for my Apple //gs.
>In reading several articles, I came to the conclusion that using a
>Seagate ST277N drive was the best bet.
>What about ST277N-1 drives ?
>They have a 28ms access time ratherthan the 40ms of the ST277N.
>Would I encounter any problems using this drive unit ?

Yes it will work GREAT!!  As a matter of fact I have one and I suggest using
it instead of the 40ms version.  I saw the ST277N-1 in Computer Shopper for
$390!!!  Prices are coming down every day.  And with the new SCSI tape
backup for the II you can't loose.

				Michael Steele
				mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu

Call NCSU Apple Users Group BBS 919-783-9010.
--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
			mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

MGRJTC@ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.EDU ("Jerrod T. Carter, Asst. Manager") (07/26/89)

Jeff,

   I still don't know if you are getting my messages or not.  If you are,
   please respond.  If you have responded, or you don't know how, give me
   a call.  My daytime number is (812)877-8239.  My evening number is
   (812)299-8233.  Talk to you later.

+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_+
|                                     |                                        |
| Jerrod T. Carter                    | The attitudes and opinions contained in|
| Assistant Networking Manager        | the above document do not reflect the  |
| Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology | opinions of my employer unless other-  |
| E-Mail:                             | wise stated.                           |
|    MgrJTC@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu    |                                        |
|-------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|                       "May all your faults be soft."                         |
+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_+

MGRJTC@ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.EDU ("Jerrod T. Carter, Asst. Manager") (07/26/89)

It seems that many people are building their own hard rives these days.
Where are these people getting their information?  I'd like to build
my own also.  Can someone point me in the direction of an article or
something?

On a different note, I picked up the latest copy of Nibble last night, and
on the back page I saw an ad for Xenocide.  Looks pretty decent.  Good
graphics.  Doesn't say anything about not having copy protection though...

+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_+
|                                     |                                        |
| Jerrod T. Carter                    | The attitudes and opinions contained in|
| Assistant Networking Manager        | the above document do not reflect the  |
| Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology | opinions of my employer unless other-  |
| E-Mail:                             | wise stated.                           |
|    MgrJTC@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu    |                                        |
|-------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|                       "May all your faults be soft."                         |
+-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_+

p.s.  Sorry about the previous post to here.  Went to the wrong address.

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (07/28/89)

Michael Steele <mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> writes...

>Yes it will work GREAT!!  As a matter of fact I have one and I suggest
using
>it instead of the 40ms version.  I saw the ST277N-1 in Computer Shopper
for
>$390!!!  Prices are coming down every day

I am interested in a Home Brew drive too. The prices in Computer Shopper
often talk about "kits" that come with the drives for installation into
an AT or XT. Do I need this stuff? Could I get the drive cheaper by
asking the dealer to just send the drive and not the AT stuff and
whatever software they throw in?

and where are some good places to look for a case/power supply?

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (07/29/89)

In article <oYo6Qvy00W0T15iEYB@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>Michael Steele <mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> writes...
>
>>Yes it will work GREAT!!  As a matter of fact I have one and I suggest
>using
>>it instead of the 40ms version.  I saw the ST277N-1 in Computer Shopper
>for
>>$390!!!  Prices are coming down every day
>
>I am interested in a Home Brew drive too. The prices in Computer Shopper
>often talk about "kits" that come with the drives for installation into
>an AT or XT. Do I need this stuff? Could I get the drive cheaper by
>asking the dealer to just send the drive and not the AT stuff and
>whatever software they throw in?
>
>and where are some good places to look for a case/power supply?
>
>jeremy mereness
>=============
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
>r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

actually I think you are misinterpretting some things here.  First of *DONT*
buy the AT kits.  The drives they use are *NOT* SCSI.  You can buy adapters to
make them work on your apple, but it still wont be SCSI, and you will have big
problems down the road.  When ordering a drive, make SURE that it is SCSI.

As for buying a kit in the first place, you are wasting your money.  When
putting together a homebrew drive, you arent BUILDING anything.  What you are
doing is taking a pre-built SCSI drive, and putting a power supply and cables
on it.  The whole process should take you all of 10 minutes.

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (08/05/89)

Network Comment: to #1292 by MGRJTC%ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu@uicvm.uic.edu

Since the ProLine gateway to Internet is in the process of changing over
system software, it seems that mail/messages from ProLine systems have been
either lost or very, very slow in making their way to the net.

I am wondering if anyone has seen the 6 or so articles (long) I've posted to
the net on building homebrew SCSI Hard drives, SCSI Tape backup systems as
well as info on SCSI cards and cases to house these.  As I've said, I've
posted about 6 or 7 articles about 2-3 weeks ago and I haven't received them
back.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen them on the net.  If not, I will
re-post them as many people were interested in these.

Our ProLine systems have of late, been receiving multiples of the same
messages over and over and have just now started again recieving new ones.  I
tend to think my articles didn't make it to the net.  Please advise.

-- Bob Lindabury
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

ralphw@C7.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (08/10/89)

In article <2815@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) writes:
>In article <oYo6Qvy00W0T15iEYB@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
>>often talk about "kits" that come with the drives for installation into
>>an AT or XT. Do I need this stuff? Could I get the drive cheaper by
>>asking the dealer to just send the drive and not the AT stuff and
>>whatever software they throw in?
>>
>>and where are some good places to look for a case/power supply?
>>

>actually I think you are misinterpretting some things here.  First of *DONT*
>buy the AT kits.  The drives they use are *NOT* SCSI.  You can buy adapters to
>make them work on your apple, but it still wont be SCSI, and you will have big
>problems down the road.  When ordering a drive, make SURE that it is SCSI.
I don't understand what 'big problems down the road might occur.'
No drive is can quite be called a 'SCSI' drive, they all have the own
peculiar low-level formats which get interfaced to the SCSI bus.

The adapters are things like the Adaptec ACB-4000, which convert SCSI signals
to whatever signal format the drive expects (usually ST-412 or ST-506 for XT
and AT drives, RLL is another format, and a format knows as ESDI is also
becoming popular.)  ST506 drives are typically going to be cheaper, but you
need to add $100 or so for the SCSI<->Native controller format adapter board.

Newer drives have what is embedded SCSI; where the drive's interface
board has the SCSI interface added on.  If this is incompatible with
what Apple expects, then you're OK.

Apple has different expectation of SCSI than what some drives are prepared
to offer, which means you have to be sure that the SCSI your drive talks is
compatible with what Apple expects.  (So much for standards.)
You might be safe buying the same type of drives that Apple uses in their
machines, but not necessarily.

>As for buying a kit in the first place, you are wasting your money.  When
>putting together a homebrew drive, you arent BUILDING anything.  What you are
>doing is taking a pre-built SCSI drive, and putting a power supply and cables
>on it.  The whole process should take you all of 10 minutes.
This depends on what prices you can find for kits vs. assembled units.
I'd rather save $100 by handling my own screwdriver.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

shubbell@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steve Hubbell) (08/16/89)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>I am wondering if anyone has seen the 6 or so articles (long) I've posted to
>the net on building homebrew SCSI Hard drives, SCSI Tape backup systems as
>well as info on SCSI cards and cases to house these.  As I've said, I've
>posted about 6 or 7 articles about 2-3 weeks ago and I haven't received them
>back.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen them on the net.  If not, I will
>re-post them as many people were interested in these.

None of these articles every reached this system (gryphon!pnet02).  I would be
very interested in these as I am just about to purchase the parts for a
homebrew HD.

>-- Bob Lindabury

Steve Hubbell - Manhattan Beach, CA
Co-Founder and President Zephyr Technologies, Inc.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!shubbell
INET: shubbell@pnet02.gryphon.com

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (08/18/89)

Yeah, I'd be VERY interested in a homebrew SCSI Tape backup.  I'm new here, so
I guess I missed the old articles.  Please repost.

Osiris