[comp.sys.apple] Homebrew HD, Pro-line, A2-Central...

tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) (08/13/89)

In article <8908121404.AA19494@trout.nosc.mil>, ernies@pro-generic.cts.com (Ernie Spiteri) writes:
> Network Comment: to #3962 by att!cbnewsm!tp@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>
> Get in touch if you haven't found it yet. I have that issue and would be glad
> to mail you the pgs req'd.
>
> UUCP: crash!pro-generic!ernies
> ARPA: crash!pro-generic!ernies@nosc.mil
> INET: ernies@pro-generic.cts.com

      Thanks Ernie, but low-and-behold the issue was RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE!  I
thought it was the big 'hoop-de-doo' on the front cover, but it was a smaller
headline (and I also didn't think it was that recent -- May '89). Thanx again!

      Is there ANYBODY reading this list on a Pro-Line in New Jersey or
Pennsylvania??  If there is PLEASE send me mail (or post here) and give me a
number!  Thanx!

      A2-Central, how can one STAND TO PAY --$28-- FOR IT?!?!  I tried a
3 mo. 'trial subscription' and was ready to cancel after 1!  I had read about
AW 3.0 2 weeks before the newsletter came, in InCider, and I've been useing,
USEING ShrinkIT for months before they touted it as 'new'.  C'mon!!

 -Tom Pierce

        "Good bye, Opus..."
| Tom Pierce         | These opinions don't represent anyone at AT&T (but me!)|
| tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM | These opinions may be harmful or dangerous if swallowed|
|_tomp@pro-party_____|_These_opinions_are_100%_pure_and_contain_no_cholesterol|

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/15/89)

In article <2664@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) writes:
>[...]
>      A2-Central, how can one STAND TO PAY --$28-- FOR IT?!?!  I tried a
>3 mo. 'trial subscription' and was ready to cancel after 1!  I had read about
>AW 3.0 2 weeks before the newsletter came, in InCider, and I've been useing,
>USEING ShrinkIT for months before they touted it as 'new'.  C'mon!!
>
> -Tom Pierce

In the long run, I've found A2-Central to be consistently accurate--I can't
say the same for a lot of other publications.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

vernonw@pro-carolina.UUCP (Vernon Williams) (08/18/89)

Network Comment: to #4755 by obsolete!dlyons%apple.com

I must agree with Dave Lyons on the issue of A2-Central. I subscribed to it
after being dessatisfied with inCider's coverage of anything other than
AppleWorks or AWGS. I feel that their magazine is good for beginners or people
who heavily use AW or AWGS but I am neither. Tom Pierce complained about the
timeliness of the AppleWorks 3.0 article and the apropriateness of calling
SHRINKIT "new". Yet the AW article date WAS the official announcement date of
the software, and I got my copy on that date (if not a little before). I must
admit I had been using SHRINKIT for a while before I saw the article in
A2-Central, but I have yet to see an article in any other Apple II magazine
about it at all. In fact I find other magazines' coverage of
telecommunications terrible at best.

Don't get me wrong, I do not knock inCider, or any other Apple II mag for that
matter. I just wanted to say that they serve different audiences. I personally
prefer A2-Central because it gives me informative, from-the-hip articles along
with many of the benefits of belonging to a User Group, well worth the
subscription price (though at first I too thought it was too much -- it's
already saved me about $100 on a certain Claris program, so maybe I owe them
$72!:))
 _______
 |      |  Vernon Williams     crash!vernonw@pro-carolina
 |  o   |  700 East 156th St.  Apple SubSysOp at
 |  O   |  New York, NY 10455  NYCENet BBS (3/12/2400 baud)
 --------                      (212) <<look for new # soon!!>>

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (08/18/89)

Although I don't subscribe to A2-Central (still wanna say Open-Apple), my best
friend (Phoenix, SysOp, East Side GBBS (218) 773-1302) does, and I always rush
over to see the new one when it comes out.  I too thought it was overpriced,
but it's far and away the best magazine for in-depth Apple users.

(There's not many "neat-o" color pictures thought)

Osiris