[comp.sys.apple] SCSI HD Interleave

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (08/18/89)

Remember SCSI Hacker, the program that allowed you to set your
interleave on a hard disk to optimize it for the I/O speed of
the GS...

***BOTTOM LINE***  IS THERE ANY WAY TO FORMAT A SCSI DRIVE UNDER
SYSTEM SOFTWARE 5.0 TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN 1:1 or 2:1 TO TRY TO
INCREASE I/O SPEED?

Here's the story...

I first did a low level format with SCSI Hacker.  Then, I ran
HDPartition to write a device partition map.  I then booted into
the finder and a dialog box asking me whether or not I wanted
to format my SCSI drive appeared.  I answered yes (knowing that
with System Software 4.0 when the finder detected a DPM, it did
only a High level (OS) format.  System software 5.0 has the
facility to choose an interleave of 1:1 or 2:1 for SCSI drives
so I chose 1:1 thinking it would realize the drive already had
a valid DPM.  When I clicked format, the finder did a low level
format, completely obliterating my previous interleave.

I repeated the lowlevel format and DPM creation and tried to format
from the finder and ADU.  The Finder and ADU ignored the DPM and
proceeded with a lowlevel format.

There's the story. Thanks for any help.

David

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

In article <13662@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (David Hom) writes:

>I first did a low level format with SCSI Hacker.  Then, I ran
>HDPartition to write a device partition map.  I then booted into
>the finder and a dialog box asking me whether or not I wanted
>to format my SCSI drive appeared.  I answered yes (knowing that
>with System Software 4.0 when the finder detected a DPM, it did
>only a High level (OS) format.  System software 5.0 has the
>facility to choose an interleave of 1:1 or 2:1 for SCSI drives
>so I chose 1:1 thinking it would realize the drive already had
>a valid DPM.  When I clicked format, the finder did a low level
>format, completely obliterating my previous interleave.
>
>I repeated the lowlevel format and DPM creation and tried to format
>from the finder and ADU.  The Finder and ADU ignored the DPM and
>proceeded with a lowlevel format.
>
>dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

It's an interesting story, but the conclusions aren't quite correct.

"Finder" and "ADU" don't make any assumptions of any kind when formatting
devices, nor should any other program.  Any call to "Format", the GS/OS
System Call, is eventually passed through to the driver, which operates on
it how it sees fit.  The 4.0 SCSI.DRIVER may, as you said, not actually
low-level format the drive on a Format request if it finds a valid DPM.  The
5.0 SCSI HD Driver probably thinks "formatting is formatting" and when asked
to Format a disk, formats it.

(The limited interleave choice is due to the SCSI spec.  It notes that 1:1
interleave is standard and any others are device-specific.  This "device-
specific" interleave can't be identified from software.  For Apple's drives,
it's 2:1, so that's how it shows up in the dialogs.  At least that's how I
understand it, but my understanding is a bit murky.)

If you've already low-level formatted the drive, it probably doesn't have a
file system on it.  To put the ProDOS file system on it, you can do one of
several things:  After low-level formatting, use ProSEL's (or anybody's)
"Erase Disk" function.  If you're a developer or have access to the GS/OS
Exerciser, go in and make the EraseDisk call to the SCSI Drive's device number
yourself.  This will put a file system on it without reformatting it, and
then the Finder or any other program should have no problems with it.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."