[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt 2.1

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley the Troll ) (08/09/89)

Has anyone used ShrinkIt 2.1 on a IIgs and gotten the 'Choose Path'
selector box to work correctly? My version will flash it up once or will
continually display and erase it...

Thanks,
- John
      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | Welcome to the Real World(tm)
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.") (08/10/89)

     I've had an identical problem with a previous version I received,
except the Format, Erase, and Zero Disk/Device selections were the faulty
ones.  I've received two new versions of v2.1.  I'll test both tonight,
and post the better one, i.e. which works better on a GS.
     If neither versions work on my GS, I'll post anyway, and send a
description of the problem to Andy.
     Anyone else had this problem, or at least a similar one?

							Ken.
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
						     {Internet}

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.") (08/10/89)

     All copies of Shrinkit v2.1 that I have received (a total of 4 separate
mailings) have the identical 'features' of the version I posted in comp.
binaries.apple2.  In other words, this version is as good as it gets.  I have
one more version to check, but I'm pessimistic.
     If anyone has a working version of v2.1 on their GS, please inform me.  I
have only heard complaints of v2.1 not working on GSs, including mine, however
it may be a widespread problem.
     I'm mailing Andy, so if any of you have any additional bug reports, or
whatever, I'll append them to the note I send.

								        Ken.
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
							     {Internet}

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("I can't remember...") (08/10/89)

       All circulated versions of ShrinkIt v2.1 that I have received do NOT
work under ProDOS 8 v1.4.  It DOES, however, work under v1.7, and I assume
under v1.8.
     The reason I use v1.4 is because of the fact that I haven't found v1.7
with Bird's Better Bye.  If anyone has ProDOS 8 v1.7 with BBB, I would be
eternally grateful.
     The version of ShrinkIt I posted in comp.binaries.apple2 is uncorrupt,
and completely accurate.  Download it, but be aware that it needs at least
v1.7 of ProDOS 8.

						        Ken.
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
						     {Internet}

PS: I'm sorry about the list of responses I have here.  I got several new
      versions of ShrinkIt v2.1, and kept finding out new things.  Sorry.

evan@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (08/10/89)

In article <13346@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (  Chumley the Troll  ) writes:
>Has anyone used ShrinkIt 2.1 on a IIgs and gotten the 'Choose Path'
>selector box to work correctly? My version will flash it up once or will
>continually display and erase it...

>Thanks,
>- John

This disapearing window trick also happens with the format and zero options...
I have a GS and when I run ProDOS under GS/OS this -NEVER- occurs,  but if
I boot straight to ProDOS then the disapearing menus for format, and zero
always occur.

Evan

Evan@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (08/10/89)

>     If anyone has a working version of v2.1 on their GS, please inform me.  I
>have only heard complaints of v2.1 not working on GSs, including mine, however
>it may be a widespread problem.

I got my copy of shrinkit off the comp.binary.apple2 group, and it works
just as it is supposed to.  I tried formatting, zeroing, etc.  No problems,
at least not yet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instuctional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?    DISSERTATION?     AAARGH!!!     My recruiter lied to me!!!!!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/11/89)

     I've found that ShrinkIt v2.1 does NOT work correctly with ProDOS 8 v1.4,
but DOES with ProDOS 8 v1.7.  I don't have any other versions to test, so I'm
unsure of ShrinkIt v2.1's compatibility with other versions of ProDOS 8.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
PLATO:           ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    RR#4 Box 152
NovaNET, CERL:   brownfield/dialup                |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
AppleLinkPE:     ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |    1-217-643-7504
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."

brisinda@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Dale Brisinda) (08/11/89)

>From: krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.")

>     If anyone has a working version of v2.1 on their GS, please inform me.  I
>have only heard complaints of v2.1 not working on GSs, including mine, however
>it may be a widespread problem.

I downloaded the version of ShrinkIT v2.1, you posted to comp.binaries.apple2
and it works perfectly.  I don't have a GS though, it works great on my //e.

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (08/12/89)

Re:

> From: Chumley the Troll <cica!ctrsol!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!indri!polyslo!jearls@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
> Subject: ShrinkIt 2.1

> Has anyone used ShrinkIt 2.1 on a IIgs and gotten the 'Choose Path'
> selector box to work correctly? My version will flash it up once or will
> continually display and erase it...

> Thanks,
> - John
>       Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |

This is another case of RTFM, John. :-)  If you'll notice, there is no select
option anymore.  You need to use the TAB commands to change drives.  Of
course, I have heard that someone was distributing a copy that was corrupt
so this might be your problem.

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (08/12/89)

I seem to have pinned down the problem I am experiencing with ShrinkIt 2.1 to
a menu that pops up and is quickly and endlessly re-drawn when ever I try to
access a disk.  THIS HAPPENS WHENEVER THE ORIGINAL DISK THAT SHRINKIT WAS
EXECUTED FROM IS NOT ONLINE.  It works fine if I put it in RAM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what the problem is....

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/13/89)

/* Written  8:40 pm  Aug 10, 1989 by brisinda@cpsc.ucalgary.ca in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
>From: krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.")

>     If anyone has a working version of v2.1 on their GS, please inform me.  I
>have only heard complaints of v2.1 not working on GSs, including mine, however
>it may be a widespread problem.

I downloaded the version of ShrinkIT v2.1, you posted to comp.binaries.apple2
and it works perfectly.  I don't have a GS though, it works great on my //e.
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

     Apparently, some versions of ProDOS make ShrinkIt v2.1 not want to keep up
the directory window.  I've tried 1.4 without success, but v1.7 WITH success.
I then decided to have fun and try my ancient ProDOS 1.0.1.  THAT works fine.
I think my v1.4 of ProDOS went through puberty or something.  Unless anyone
else has the same problem.
     I would like to know what versions of ProDOS do and don't work with
ShrinkIt v2.1.  I'd really like to know if my old ProDOS was buggy.  It would
not be nice if I've had a trojan horse for a month...}=
     Thanks.

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Chumley the Troll ) (08/14/89)

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>> From: Chumley the Troll
>> Has anyone used ShrinkIt 2.1 on a IIgs and gotten the 'Choose Path'
>> selector box to work correctly? My version will flash it up once or will
>> continually display and erase it...
>This is another case of RTFM, John. :-)  If you'll notice, there is no select
>option anymore.  You need to use the TAB commands to change drives.  Of

I am using the comp.sys.apple version.  The docs say that open-apple-O or some
such will bring up a path selector, and the choose path will also come up when
you ask to format or erase a device or when it can't find the last-accessed
disk...

>Todd South

- John

      Chumley@Bazaar.Deva.COM           |
-aka- EARLSJ@AFAL-Edwards.AF.MIL        | If two wrongs don't make a right,
-aka- jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        | try three...

wagner@pucc.Princeton.EDU (John Wagner) (08/15/89)

In article <113300097@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>      I've found that ShrinkIt v2.1 does NOT work correctly with ProDOS 8 v1.4,
> but DOES with ProDOS 8 v1.7.  I don't have any other versions to test, so I'm
> unsure of ShrinkIt v2.1's compatibility with other versions of ProDOS 8.

Shrinkit 2.1 with ProDOS 8 v1.7 is failing when I attempt to place ECP8
on a 5.25 disk.  It is also failing if I just request a format of the 5.25
disk (I/O error in both cases).  Is there a version of Shrinkit that will
work for this?

   John Wagner

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) (08/15/89)

So I take it the problems with Shrinkit 2.1 are due solely to the version
of ProDOS that it's run under? The best I can do is ProDOS 8 v1.4, which
seems to be the problematic one. Will it work with older versions?
Should I bother downloading this version?

Andy

art100@psuvm (bitnet)
art100@psuvm.psu.edu (internet)
(take your pick)...!psuvax1!psuhcx!a1t (uucp)

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (08/16/89)

Yes, ProDOS 1.4 is/was the cause of the problems with ShrinkIt 2.1.  The reaso
is that there are some bugs in P8 1.4's AppleTalk/AppleShare routine
ShrinkIt 2.1 was designed to be AppleShare-compatible, so it must use the
AppleTalk stuff.  (I suspect it's related to the bug in ProDOS 1.4 which cause
MLI call $42 to execute code in the second bank of RAM.  In real life, MLI cal
$42 is supposed to allow you to identify all online network volumes.)

In any case, the ShrinkIt 2.1 which was just uploaded to GEnie (and probably
other places) has had that bug fixed.  Andy did not change the version number
because it was only a problem with ProDOS 1.4.

/\    Jerry Kindall      JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL     GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/16/89)

     The specific version of ShrinkIt v2.1 that was posted to the net did not
work (now this is what I've heard, not verified) with ProDOS 8 v1.4 because
of a bug in that version of ProDOS.  Also, from what I've heard, ShrinkIt v2.1
was patched to work with v1.4.  I'm now trying to get this version.
     Older versions of ShrinkIt will work with all versions of ProDOS.  I
would stay with an older version until I, or someone else, can post the
newest ShrinkIt that will work with your ProDOS 8 v1.4.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
PLATO:           ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    RR#4 Box 152
NovaNET, CERL:   brownfield/dialup                |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
AppleLinkPE:     ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |    1-217-643-7504
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (08/16/89)

Someone asked which versions of ProDOS were compatible with ShrinkIT 2.1 and
which weren't.  This refers to the original release of 2.1 that was available
ob ALPE, GEnie, and here. I have tried it with all the ProDOS versions I had
available.  The shrink/unshrink functions work under any ProDOS version; the
(E)rase disk function works under some but not all.  All functions work under
ProDOS versions 1.1.1, 1.7, and 1.8.  The (E)rase function does not work under
versions 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4.

As I understand it, a revised version of ShrinkIT that solves this problem is
or is soon to be available.

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (08/19/89)

Comment to message from: KMILES@cc.usu.edu (Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant)

Ive had one severe problem with S 2.1.  In the last version, it was possible
to pack one or more files in a directory, and then files in a subdirectory in
the same root as the first files.  In other words, say pack the GSOS.START and
then the FONTS subdirectory.  Well, when I try that with 2.1, it "thinks" it
works, but when you try to unpack it or list the file, you will notice that it
ignored the file(s) in the root directory, and only packed those in the
subdirectory... what a pain.  Anyone know what the deal is?  It works fine
with v2.02

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (08/20/89)

Comment to message from: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone)

    [ discussion about ShrinkIt 2.1 failing to properly store all files, ]
    [ subdirectories, and their included files in the archive file.      ]

The problem with ShrinkIt 2.1 apparently only occurs when you use the OA-A
sequence to select all files and subdirectories in the directory you're logged
to.  If you use the SPACEBAR to select the files and subdirectories
individually, it works correctly -- everything is stored properly.

That may not be what was intended, but it works.

Rich Sims

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com