[comp.sys.apple] Rana Elite ///

peterd@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Dachnowicz) (08/06/89)

Years ago I purchased a RANA ELITE /// drive that had the capability of quad
density for my ][.  I was wondering if there are any drivers out there that
would allow it to support prodos or for that matter Gs/Os. The drive would
sure come in handy for backing up a hard-disk.

ProLine: peterd@pro-graphics
         201/469-0049  3/12/2400 bps  24 Hrs.

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (08/16/89)

Comment to message from: peterd@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Dachnowicz)

> Years ago I purchased a RANA ELITE /// drive that had the capability of quad
> density for my ][.  I was wondering if there are any drivers out there that
> would allow it to support prodos or for that matter Gs/Os.

The drive needed a new PROM (set of PROM's??) in order to support ProDOS.  It
took RANA quite a while to make them available, but they finally did, and at a
pretty reasonable cost.  How you'd get a set now, I have no idea.  I ordered
the upgrade for a customer when they were announced, and he did tell me that
they worked "as advertised".

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (08/22/89)

In article <8908191421.AA13488@trout.nosc.mil> rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) writes:
>Comment to message from: peterd@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Dachnowicz)

>> Years ago I purchased a RANA ELITE /// drive that had the capability of quad
>> density for my ][.  I was wondering if there are any drivers out there that
>> would allow it to support prodos or for that matter Gs/Os.

>The drive needed a new PROM (set of PROM's??) in order to support ProDOS.  It

I have one (on our old II+).  We got it right before they took a deep dive
into bankruptcy.  We got ours with the 4 disk controller card (a nifty little
card althought getting 4 disks hooked to it I would think would be a major
pain, cable snafu city).  This card was necessary (so I read) to use ProDOS.

>took RANA quite a while to make them available, but they finally did, and at a
>pretty reasonable cost.  How you'd get a set now, I have no idea.  I ordered
>the upgrade for a customer when they were announced, and he did tell me that
>they worked "as advertised".

The only problem I ever had with the card was that it couldn't boot certain
copy protected stuff, and I didn't feel like having two cards to control both
drives (it's messy enough as it is with other boards).

I did read in A+ (rip) several years ago, a letter from a guy who said he had
written a driver to get ProDOS to work on these drives.  If anybody happens to
have their collection of A+ lying around, you can look in the Letters section.
I'd do it, but all my A+'s are back home while I visit college.

-kareth.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/22/89)

'
[...]

I don't know if it's still available, but you might try Law Industries
(3387 West Corning; St. Newbury Park, CA  91320; (805) 498-8268) at one point
had a ProDOS upgrade kit for the Rana for $49.95

Henry