[comp.sys.apple] Apple Firmware Card and Software Compatibility

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (08/23/89)

I tried recently to run Prodos v1.8 and Davex v1.23 with an Apple Firmware Card
in slot 4 and it didn't work.  My Firmware Card has both the 2716 and the F8
jumper pads soldered; that is, I have 2716s on board, including a modified F8.

I assume that Prodos freezes because of the modified F8.  However, Davex
also seems to come to a screeching halt, no matter whether the card's
switch is in the up or down position.  Does anyone know why Davex fails?

Is there other software out there which will fail with a Firmware Card?
What is necessary to get the Firmware Card to work with software which
is out there?

Thanks for your help...

	[david]

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/25/89)

In article <795@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>I tried recently to run Prodos v1.8 and Davex v1.23 with an Apple Firmware Card
>in slot 4 and it didn't work.  My Firmware Card has both the 2716 and the F8
>jumper pads soldered; that is, I have 2716s on board, including a modified F8.
>
>I assume that Prodos freezes because of the modified F8.  However, Davex
>also seems to come to a screeching halt, no matter whether the card's
>switch is in the up or down position.  Does anyone know why Davex fails?
>
>Is there other software out there which will fail with a Firmware Card?
>What is necessary to get the Firmware Card to work with software which
>is out there?

Interesting.  (Netters: I wrote Davex, by the way.)  Does any other software
have trouble with your card installed?  Do I understand correctly that the
card replaces the F800-FFFF ROM range when the switch is in one position,
and has no effect in the other position?

Are you using a II+?  IIe?  What ROM routines have you modified?

What sort of a "screeching halt" does Davex come to, and when?  (Does it
hang, crash [where?], etc., and what is on the screen at the time?)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.