[comp.sys.apple] Sider 'Initialize Volume' problem

2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca (08/23/89)

I have a question (problem??) with my sider hard drive with my //e.  I have
two ProDos partitions, one of which contains only a 13 meg. file for use
with my PC Transporter card (the MsDos hard drive file).  I recently tried to
reformat that partition, but when I do an initialize partition on it, it
reports about 1 megabyte less 'blocks free' than it does 'total blocks'.  I
have heard of needed directory tree space, but a megabyte??!!!  Does anyone
know what could be wrong - I want my megabyte back (it was there before)!!!

				- Pat Surry\
c/o:
--
Alexander Pruss, at one of: Department of Applied Mathematics, Astronomy,
Mathematics, or Physics                     University of Western Ontario

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/25/89)

In article <3645@uwovax.uwo.ca> 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I have a question (problem??) with my sider hard drive with my //e.  I have
>two ProDos partitions, one of which contains only a 13 meg. file for use
>with my PC Transporter card (the MsDos hard drive file).  I recently tried to
>reformat that partition, but when I do an initialize partition on it, it
>reports about 1 megabyte less 'blocks free' than it does 'total blocks'.  I
>have heard of needed directory tree space, but a megabyte??!!!  Does anyone
>know what could be wrong - I want my megabyte back (it was there before)!!!

What software are you using to initialize the partition, and what software
did you use to initialize it before, when it worked?  Is it *exactly* a
megabyte that is missing (I want numbers)?

An proper empty ProDOS directory and bitmap should take:  4 blocks for the
directory, plus 1 bitmap block for every 2 megs (or fraction thereof) of
space on the volume.  Add two boot blocks (0 and 1), and you get 13 blocks
(6.5K) of overhead on your 13 Meg volume.  That's all.  There should be 13
blocks used, not 2048 (1 Meg).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.