[comp.sys.apple] P8 version 1.8

wagner@pucc.Princeton.EDU (John Wagner) (08/23/89)

I've seen mention of made of P8 verions 1.8.  My GS came with 1.7.  Was
the upgrade to 1.8 (i.e. can I go running down to my dealer and ask for
a free copy) or should I expect to pay for it?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/24/89)

In article <10053@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> wagner@pucc.Princeton.EDU (John Wagner) writes:
>I've seen mention of made of P8 verions 1.8.  My GS came with 1.7.  Was
>the upgrade to 1.8 (i.e. can I go running down to my dealer and ask for
>a free copy) or should I expect to pay for it?

ProDOS 8 1.8 comes with GS System Software 5.0 (it's the P8 file in the
System folder).  You can probably get it from your dealer.

See ProDOS 8 Technical Note #23 for more details on the changes to
different versions of ProDOS 8.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

>I've seen mention of made of P8 verions 1.8.  My GS came with 1.7.  Was
>the upgrade to 1.8 (i.e. can I go running down to my dealer and ask for
>a free copy) or should I expect to pay for it?

ProDOS 1.8 is INCLUDED with GS/OS 3.0 and the other goodies on the new
Software System 5.0 disk.  Unless you want the manuals ($49 - probably
not), you should be able to make (have made?) a (free) copy at your authorized
Apple Dealer if you walk in with your current System disk.

Many (most?) user groups have entered into a licensing agreement with
Apple which permits them to make copies of system software for their
members.  If you have the time (2 hour at 1200 baud?) and the money
(for the connect time) you can download Software System 5.0 from
Compu$erve or Genie.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (08/25/89)

<John Wagner <phoenix!pucc.Princeton.EDU!wagner@PRINCETON.EDU> writes:

>I've seen mention of made of P8 verions 1.8.  My GS came with 1.7.  Was
>the upgrade to 1.8 (i.e. can I go running down to my dealer and ask for
>a free copy) or should I expect to pay for it?

P8 v.1.8 comes with and is required by GS/OS 3.0 (System Software 5.0).
Your v.1.7 came with and is required by GS/OS 2.0 (System Software 4.0).
If you upgrade to 5.0, you will get P8 v.1.8.  But each OS seems to require
its own version of P8.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (08/26/89)

ask your dealer if you can have a copy of systm disk 5.0.  take along 2
blank disks

you should not have to pay for a copy