[comp.sys.apple] New IIgs PRESS RELEASE!!!

rewing@APPLE.COM (Richard Ewing) (08/15/89)

MOVED OVER BUSINESS WIRE AT 8:34 A.M. (E.D.T.)
TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 1989

Contact:
Janet Male
Regis McKenna Inc.
(415) 354-4427

APPLE INCREASES STANDARD MEMORY OF APPLE IIGS

CUPERTINO, California--August 15, 1989--Apple Computer,
Inc. announced today that it has increased the memory that
comes standard with its Apple IIGS( computer, offering
greater value to new Apple IIGS customers for no additional
charge.
     "This change continues to demonstrate AppleUs commitment
to provide enhancements that improve the Apple II computing
experience," said Jean-Louis Gassee, president of Apple
Products.   "Together with the new Apple IIGS System Software
5.0, first available last month, the new Apple IIGS provides
a much more robust platform for current and future software
applications.  Customers will find the Apple IIGS faster, more
responsive and more capable than ever before."
     The Apple IIGS now comes with 1 megabyte (technically,
1.125 megabytes) of random-access memory (RAM) and 256K of
read-only memory (ROM) -- rather than the 512K RAM and 128K
ROM in the Apple IIGS it replaces.  With 1 megabyte of RAM
standard, the computer will operate on the AppleTalk network
system and handle larger documents and more sophisticated
applications without the need for added memory.   Additionally,
some features of the new System Software 5.0 have been
included in the computerUs ROM, providing developers more
efficient access to system tools.  The new Apple IIGS is
compatible with hardware and software designed for previous
Apple IIGS computers.

Apple IIGS Developers Welcome the New Apple IIGS

     Prominent Apple IIGS developers are pleased with the
new 1-megabyte Apple IIGS and the type of applications it
supports.  "The value of the Apple IIGS has been enhanced
tremendously," said Stan Roach, vice president, Activision
Presentation Tools.  "Apple is responding to the needs of
users and developers by introducing this new machine."
     Roger Wagner, president of Roger Wagner Publishing,
Inc., commented, "The new Apple IIGS with System Software
5.0 is real evidence of AppleUs continuing support for the
Apple II.   The new standard memory and system software
significantly improve the speed and performance of an already
powerful machine.  Combined with the new Apple II Video Overlay
Card, the system provides a perfect environment for
sophisticated applications like our HyperStudio hypermedia
system."
     "The Apple IIGS and System Software 5.0 provide the
memory and speed customers and developers want," said Jordan
Sachs, vice president and general manager of Britannica
Software, publishers of the popular Designasaurus and Jigsaw
applications.  "Designasaurus, as well as our new programs
Revolution T76 and Laser Force require the greater memory that
is now standard.  With it, we can maximize the potential of
our applications, providing more information and making them
more challenging."

Additional Features of the New Apple IIGS

     Several other changes have been made to the Apple IIGS.
Specific slots must no longer be dedicated to specific uses,
so there are effectively more slots available for custom
configurations.  Additionally, a new logic board design
produces minor improvements to the computerUs sound.
     Other enhancements for people with disabilities allow
them to manipulate the mouse and use the keyboard more easily.
A new "sticky keys" feature enables users to activate several
keys simultaneously with single keystrokes.  Additionally,
users who have difficulty moving the mouse may increase the
computerUs responsiveness to mouse movements and may control
more functions from the keyboard rather than the mouse.

Upgrade Path

     The recommended upgrade path from the current Apple
IIGS 512K is to add memory (available in 256K increments) and
install System Software 5.0.  Many Apple IIGS customers have
already added memory to their machines and will obtain about
90 percent of the new machineUs functionality by installing
the new system software.  Apple is not offering an upgrade
kit because the required logic board replacement is not cost
effective for customers.

Price and Availability

     The suggested retail price of the Apple IIGS with
keyboard, mouse, manuals, system software and guided tour
remains $1149.   The machine is currently available in limited
quantities from authorized Apple dealers.  Full-capacity
production will begin in early fall.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Apple IIGS and AppleTalk are
registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
HyperStudio is a registered trademark of Roger Wagner
Publishing, Inc.
Designasaurus, Jigsaw, Revolution T76 and LaserForce
are trademarks of Britannica Software, Inc.

END

Apple Press Releases
PR Express

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (08/16/89)

OK, so Apple's finally announced it.  Notice that it's NOT the GS+ (anyone
caught using that terminology for the new machine will be flogged with a
wet noodle :-).  For want of any better name, call it the ROM 3 GS.

A couple of early complaints about the new ROM stuff.  The sticky shift key
can be nice *sometimes*, but there's no visual indicator like on the Mac (a
tiny icon in the upper right hand corner).

The faster mouse is definitely nice, but it gets too fast for its own good
sometimes: you can move it fast enough that the movement delta changes sign
(my guess) and the mouse moves backwards.

Finally, the new GS/OS & tools is good, but this bonus will atrophy with time
as newer systems come out with RAM patches (& don't tell me there're no
bugs in the ROM.  I know better than that :-)

Still, it's a general step in the right direction.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (08/16/89)

I find this news a little disturbing !
No upgrade available ?!?  Not cost effective ?!?
I'm sure that Apple intends to offer a ROM upgrade for the current GS owners...
There certainly are a lot of us...

I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't offer an upgrade if the logic board
was indeed re-designed and improved, no matter what the cost...
To me, this really doesn't appear to be the actions of a customer concerned
company.  I'm starting to feel very uneasy.

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("A sleep.") (08/16/89)

     No wonder my dealer is taking a month to get Sys 5.0, he had to
figure out what to do with the new GSs.  It should only take him another
couple'a months more...{=
     As I see it, there is only one way to upgrade to the ROM 3 GS.  Sell
your ROM 1/2 machine for less than half the price of the new ROM 3 CPU.
So for a logic board, and 256K more ROM, I pay $500.
     I only use my GS for college work, and one or two (*cough*) games,
possibly in the future a lot of programming.  I have no real NEED for the
new ROM 3 CPU, but like everyone going to GS/OS v3.0, it's a nice improvement.
     I could stand to pay the money to reimburse the new logic board and 256K
of ROM in trade with my ROM 2 GS, but apparently not even this is possible.
First, the IIe was able to go to Enhanced IIe with a $99 package, the enhanced
IIe to a GS for $500 (half price,) and now from GS to GS ROM 3 for $500.
There's NOT $500 worth of improvement!!!
     I don't mean to drown out Apple's work to get System 5.0 out early,
or the famed "GS+," but this lack of an upgrade package rubs me the wrong
way.
     My 90-day warranty is out on my GS...is there anything a soldering gun
couldn't handle?  {=  I tried...

						        Ken.
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
						     {Internet}

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/16/89)

In article <4171@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:
>I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't offer an upgrade if the logic board
>was indeed re-designed and improved, no matter what the cost...

Of course you can obtain an upgrade.  You just can't get a discounted upgrade.

In article <8908160445.AA24331@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("A sleep.") writes:
>... this lack of an upgrade package rubs me the wrong way.

Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (08/16/89)

In article <4171@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) writes:
>I find this news a little disturbing !
>No upgrade available ?!?  Not cost effective ?!?
>I'm sure that Apple intends to offer a ROM upgrade for the current GS owners...
>There certainly are a lot of us...
>
>I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't offer an upgrade if the logic board
>was indeed re-designed and improved, no matter what the cost...
>To me, this really doesn't appear to be the actions of a customer concerned
>company.  I'm starting to feel very uneasy.

I deeply suspect that there is another GS waiting in the wings...I
feel uneasy too, but various cues I've picked up (very subjective, so
don't take this as Gospel) seem to indicate that this 1Meg GS is just
a production fix to make it a little cheaper to supply 512K+ machines.
Someone I talked to on AppleLink who had something to do with the IIGS
said not to consider this as the IIGS+, just a fatter IIGS.  Of
course that person didn't say that there WAS a IIGS, but I'm going to
keep the faith a little longer.

Now would be a good time for Apple to pre-announce the existence of a
Souped-Up GS.  Since production of the enhanced GS will not be in full
swing until this fall,  many people will wait on their purchasing
plans anyway.  I can see this GS as being a good education machine.
According to Matt on AppleLink PE, there are a number of features
(like a hardware Control-Panel disable on the motherboard) that seem
geared towards the school environment in general.  Maybe the GS+ will
be the Developer's Dream Machine, with "IIGS emulation" on all the
slow parts of memory :-)

Dave Seah |  ** Twinkie & Banana Club - MA **  |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/17/89)

In article <8908160445.AA24331@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("A sleep.") writes:
>[...]
>So for a logic board, and 256K more ROM, I pay $500.

Don't forget the 896K of extra RAM you're getting in the deal.  If you
don't like the deal, keep your old machine.  No problem.

>First, the IIe was able to go to Enhanced IIe with a $99 package, [...]

That wasn't a motherboard swap!

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Bombed Mindless.") (08/17/89)

     I want to upgrade to a ROM 3 gs for the same reason everyone wants
to upgrade to Sys 5.0.  There are improvements, but the functionality is
close to the same.  Almost everyone could LIVE without Sys 5.0, sticking
with Sys 4.0.  I want the ROM 3 machine because using tools will be much
more convenient in ROM than from Sys 5.0, the DOC chip is apparently
shielded much better, and some other improvements that are just 'spiffy.'
     I plan on programming on the GS when I can afford compilers, etc.,
and I would like to use the ROM routines, not to mention the latest
version of the machine.  If programmers can't get the 'nicer' machine
without paying a more-than-minor upgrade cost, what then?
     Or it could be that I'm picky...{=

							Ken,
						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
						     {Internet}

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (08/17/89)

From article <4171@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer):
> I find this news a little disturbing !
> No upgrade available ?!?  Not cost effective ?!?
> I'm sure that Apple intends to offer a ROM upgrade for the current GS owners...
> There certainly are a lot of us...
>
> I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't offer an upgrade if the logic board
> was indeed re-designed and improved, no matter what the cost...
> To me, this really doesn't appear to be the actions of a customer concerned
> company.  I'm starting to feel very uneasy.

Now you know how us ][+ owners felt........

tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) (08/17/89)

     Gee, I sure hope this isn't the 'new Aplle II CPU coming in September'.
(If it is there are going to be a lot of unhappy children on Christmas morning.)
    Any one at Apple Co. care to elaborate??

    Tom

| Tom Pierce         | These opinions don't represent anyone at AT&T (but me!)|
| tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM | These opinions may be harmful or dangerous if swallowed|
|_tomp@pro-party_____|_These_opinions_are_100%_pure_and_contain_no_cholesterol|

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (System Administrator) (08/17/89)

Network Comment: to #4835 by obsolete!att!cbnewsm!tp%ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Why would anyone at Apple care to elaborate as to whether 'this is the new
Apple II CPU coming in September'?  I don't remember Apple ever saying that
there would be a new CPU in September.  Why not lay your frustration on the
feet of the silly rumor mongers who started this GS+ stuff in the first place?

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

>     Gee, I sure hope this isn't the 'new Aplle II CPU coming in September'.
>(If it is there are going to be a lot of unhappy children on Christmas
>morning.)

If it is NOT the alledged IIgs+, and a "new CPU" shows up next month, there
are going to be a lot of UNHAPPY campers, er customer, who laid out the
dough for this *ahem* upgrade only to be told that "In 30 days it's
outmoded." (to paraphrase a bit of verse I sometimes use as a .sig).

If it IS the IIgs+, the Bronx cheers are going to be audible on the left
Coast!  I think Apple is, in G. Bush's famous phrase, in DEEP doo doo.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

>From article <4171@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU
> (Scott D Palmer):
>> I can't see any reason why Apple wouldn't offer an upgrade if the logic board
>> was indeed re-designed and improved, no matter what the cost...
>
>Now you know how us ][+ owners felt........

To say nothing of //c owners when there WAS an upgrade from the //e to the
IIgs but *ZILCH* for closed system owners (kinda like owning a Mac 512 or
a Mac+ looking at the <vaporware?> upgrade option for the SE to SE-30).

Win some, lose some.  If there's a moral it's open architecture is better
than closed architecture (the ][+ exception not withstanding) -- there's
even a board which "upgrades" an Apple /// to a //e with a RAM disk.

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (08/19/89)

In article <192@flight.UUCP>, george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:
> From article <4171@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer):
> > I find this news a little disturbing !
> > No upgrade available ?!?  Not cost effective ?!?

> > To me, this really doesn't appear to be the actions of a customer concerned
> > company.  I'm starting to feel very uneasy.
>
> Now you know how us ][+ owners felt........

I agree...When Apple first came out with the //gs, the II and II+ users for
all intents and purposes were deserted.  Software support dropped to almost
zero, and everything was built ot written to use the extra 64K on the 80
column card...What about the //+ users with 128K Ram cards.... Left out in
the cold....Now new ROM updates on the GS....where do the current //gs owners
get left...in the cold.  It would seem to me that Apple should be a little
more careful with their current customer base....  I have yet to see some
real efforts to support the user base that has MADE Apple over the past 9
years....  time to move on....

Later -Dan Vachon-   !att!drutx!dvac

    What can I say....my opinions are mine.

tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) (08/19/89)

In article <8908171711.AA27152@obsolete.UUCP>, delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
> Network Comment: to #4835 by obsolete!att!cbnewsm!tp%ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>
> Why would anyone at Apple care to elaborate as to whether 'this is the new
> Apple II CPU coming in September'?  I don't remember Apple ever saying that
> there would be a new CPU in September.  Why not lay your frustration on the
> feet of the silly rumor mongers who started this GS+ stuff in the first place?

   YES!! Apple promised a new Apple II cpu in 12-18 months at (Boston?)
Applefest in 1988!  Check it out.  I'm hoping that this machine (GS ROM 3) is
 the machine that will
still be offered like the IIe and //c were still offered after the gs was
intoduced.

    -Tom

I hate vi.  Sorry, i re-read, was vauge, fixed it, and i screwed the formatting.

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (08/20/89)

Dan Vachon writes:

> Now new ROM updates on the GS....where do the current GS owners get
> left...in the cold.

I hardly think so.  Current GS's are not made obsolete by the new GS.  If
you want a new GS you can get it far more economically by buying more RAM
and by using System Software 5.0.

/\    Jerry Kindall    | JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL   | GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

The answer that evades our brains, we only think we're wearing chains
                                                  -- Utopia

buzz@tippy.uucp (08/22/89)

In other words, no GS+ this year.

Sigh.

>I agree...When Apple first came out with the //gs, the II and II+ users for
>all intents and purposes were deserted.  Software support dropped to almost
>zero, and everything was built ot written to use the extra 64K on the 80
>column card...What about the //+ users with 128K Ram cards.... Left out in
>the cold....Now new ROM updates on the GS....where do the current //gs owners
>get left...in the cold.  It would seem to me that Apple should be a little
>more careful with their current customer base....  I have yet to see some

Just like all those POOR <sniff> IBM-PC owners whose original PC's can't
read 1.2 Mbyte 5.25 disks (forgetting for the moment that the drive is a
white elephant) nor run OS/2.  And just *think* of all those suckers who
bought AT's who can't run Windows 3.0 and won't be able to run OS/2 2.0
or the version of Presentation Manager containing 50 outline fonts!  Howcome,
IBM doesn't offer those customers who made the PC what it is today an
easy upgrade path to the PS/2?  Shouldn't all those dedicated IBM owners
who find that there won't be an i486 "daughter board" for their old PC's
get truly miffed and buy a Macintosh?

If you ARE disappointed with Apple, Commodore is on the verge of introducing
a 68030 based Amiga for less than a Mac SE.

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (08/22/89)

Network Comment: to #10165 by att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!dvac@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Dan Vachon (att!drutx!dvac) wrote:
> where do the current //gs owners get left...in the cold.

While I'm not happy about Apple's decision to provide no motherboard update
for existing IIGS owners (short of having the customer scrap his old one and
buy a brand new one with no discount), I don't really believe that existing
IIGS owners are left in the cold.

We aren't.

The reason there was such a major climate difference between the II+ owner's
world and that of the new IIe owner's environment is simply due to the
significant differences in hardware between the two machines: a standardized,
built-in 80 column display with every machine, standardized method of
accessing an extra bank of RAM, a real keyboard with lowercase, and updated
ROMs, a 65C02 CPU, and new video ROM with mousetext.

The ROM 3 IIGS doesn't offer that kind of "lock out" because of hardware
enhancements.  I doubt if the majority of ROM 3 IIGS owners will ever use
"sticky keys", or require a CDA menu protection feature.  Everything else that
the ROM 3 machine can do, earlier machines will do just as well.  The
difference being that ROM 3 means faster booting time (since more toolsets are
in ROM), but that same new ROM code can be loaded in and patched into older
systems at boot time.  You get the same updated toolsets, only they come in
from disk.

The other ROM 3 features are just "niceties".  Being able to work with
AppleTalk in slot 1 or 2 without killing slot 7 is "nice", but that doesn't
mean you can't use AppleTalk on an older machine.  Being able to use slot 4
for your own peripheral card and still have mouse control is nice, but you can
still use the mouse on older machines.  (Actually, if this has been stated,
fine -- but wouldn't a patched Miscellaneous Toolset that reads the mouse
button and X/Y deltas directly from the $E0C0xx space offer the same features
as the ROM 3 machine?  Matt?  Richard?)

So we're not left in the cold, really.  We just don't live in as warm a
climate as ROM 3 owners.

--Morgan Davis

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			ALPE|BIX: mdavis

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (08/25/89)

In article <8908220011.aa16705@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>I agree...When Apple first came out with the //gs, the II and II+ users for
>>all intents and purposes were deserted...
Agreed
>Just like all those POOR <sniff> IBM-PC owners whose original PC's can't
>read 1.2 Mbyte 5.25 disks...
It can with a new controller card
>nor run OS/2...
Add an 286 board(MicroSoft, Intel)
>bought AT's who can't run Windows 3.0 and won't be able to run OS/2 2.0
>or the version of Presentation Manager containing 50 outline fonts!...
You can even buy a '386 board for your original PC.
>IBM doesn't offer those customers who made the PC what it is today an
>easy upgrade path to the PS/2?
Not IBM, but the thriving 3rd parties are all doing this.
So for about $1K you can get '386 compatibility, and be able
to run all the latest software.

Apple's expansion card form factor seems mostly too small too allow this
sort of whole-sale expansion, but they could have done a //GS-on-a-card-or-2
for existing ][+ and //e owners. The graphics hardware is already on
the video overlay card, sound, ADB, and Appletalk could be on another, and
slot 0 or the //e expansion slot could contain the 65c816, ROM, and SIMM
sockets for for memory expansion.  Low profile surface mount parts could be
mounted on both sides of the card, but that's still a lot of slots, and you'd
end pay more than what the motherboard upgrade costed.

But, Apple didn't market them that way.  Too bad.  I may end up buying
AE's 65c816 option along with the video overlay card, but without that
ROM (and Ensonic sounds), it still won't quite be a GS.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

chines@pro-europa.cts.com (Clifford Hines) (08/25/89)

Comment to message from: m2c!wpi!dseah@husc6.harvard.edu (David I Seah)

Would the next GS also be the Mac/IIgs hybrid ?
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-europa.cts.com

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/27/89)

Network Comment: to #10217 by SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

>If you ARE disappointed with Apple, Commodore is on the verge of introducing
>a 68030 based Amiga for less than a Mac SE.

Really?  What a great idea!  (Do I sound like I'm miffed at Apple?  So far,
you better beleive I am!)
                                        Laer