[comp.sys.apple] Problems printing from AWGS to Laserprinter

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (08/28/89)

In article <8908222115.aa10491@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> V2071A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET ("George A. Piotrowski Jr.") writes:
> ...   I tried to
>print to the laser and would most of the time get only 1 page printed
>before I get a dialog box saying the document could not be printer.
>Sometimes I would get 2 or 3, but that would be the most. ...

I have the SAME problem.  I have Transwarp GS in 3, SCSI card in 6,
Appletalk turned on using the printer port.  The only thing on Appletalk is
the printer and my GS.

I think Apple changed the printer drivers or Claris doesn't access them in
the standard way because under GSOS 4.0 I could print a 10 or 20 page
document without receiving the "document cannot be printed error".  Also I
could use the AWGS graphic segment and draw lines and boxes using the
"object oriented" tools, when printed a diagonal line was without jaggies(ie
at the highest resolution of the Laser printer.).  Under GSOS 5.0 printing
the same document yeilds a bitmap picture(ie diagonal lines are jagged like
they would be on Imagewriter or the screen).  All of the printed text prints
properly like Postscript so I don't think I have an settings wrong, this
leads me to beleive that it is a driver problem.

One note though, I used TopDraw to print an object oriented drawing and it
printed out correctly, in full Postscript.

Do any of the Apple or Claris personal have any thoughts on what I might be
doing wrong or where the error might lie?  BTW these tests have been
duplicated on 2 diffent machines using 2 different laserprinters but both
have similar setups (one has a Sider, mine has a SCSI).

Thanks in advance.			Michael Steele
					mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu