[comp.sys.apple] Laserwriter woes.

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (08/25/89)

  I just got system 5.0 and my Transwarp GS (Kudos to both Apple and AE...),
and I have a problem.

  I talk to a vax at relatively high speeds, but I don't have a LaserWriter of
my own (donation accepted.) so I usually print the postscript to a file,
download, ans send to one of our Vaxen's printers.  Herin lies the problem.
Before, I used the installer to set up a direct-connect lasewr writer.  The new
installer will not let me install one, and the new Chooser CtlPanel will not
let me select one anyway.  (The ctl panel tels me that I need Appletalk to be
installed.  I assume it means from the control panel, since I installed the
files it needs from the installer.)

  In short, how do I coerce the machine into letting me get postscript output
when I don't have Appletalk installed on the computer?

  (A suggestion forthe apple people: create a new printer driver called
"postscript file."  When the user prints to it, it puts up a Standard File
dialog to ask where to put the postscript file containing the output of the
program.  Perhaps one might need the LaserWriter driver as well, but it should
not be too diffucult to create if one knows how printer drivers work.  (I most
definitely do not))

  See y'all.

                         Scott Ellsworth
                         SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
                         sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (08/28/89)

In article <63C18828161F8001AC@HMCVAX.BITNET> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>  (A suggestion for the apple people: create a new printer driver called
>"postscript file."  When the user prints to it, it puts up a Standard File
>dialog to ask where to put the postscript file containing the output of the
>program.  Perhaps one might need the LaserWriter driver as well, but it should
>not be too diffucult to create if one knows how printer drivers work.  (I most
>definitely do not))

I have the SAME problem, except we have a Apple Laserwriter IInt connected
to our Vax.  I can run a wire to our printer and set it up for Appletalk,
but this is a pain, I would rather be able to do direct connect or upload
the file to the Vax.  Is there some sort of trick to do this like on the MAC
opt-4 I believe?

Would it be possible to intercept the postscript file before it goes out on
Appletalk? (of course this would require on to trick the computer into
thinking that there was a Laserwriter connected via Appletalk).

Thanks in advance.				Michael Steele
						mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu