[comp.sys.apple] switchable $C800 space; ATLK in II+?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/26/89)

In article <4852@portia.Stanford.EDU> kodali@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Chan Wilson) writes:
>[...]  But I've always wanted to know how
>Apple manages to have a selectable $C000 space...

Are you asking about the $C800..$CFFE space?  I thought that was described
pretty well in the reference manuals, but maybe not--I haven't looked it
up lately (when I did, it was in my II+ manual).  All Apple II models
have this:  each card can use the $C800 space (2K) for whatever it wants
(RAM, ROM, I/O locations, or whatever), but only one card "owns" it at
a time.  When $CFFF is read or written, all cards turn *off* their
ownership of that space; when $Cnxx is read or written, slot N owns that
space.  (The card that owns it needs to store its slot number in $07F8,
so that the system can restore the ownership properly after handling an
interrupt.)

The enhanced IIe and some models of the IIc have additional ROM that can
be switched in in the $C100..$CFFF space--this is handled with $C0xx
softswitches known to the main ROM of each machine.

(Did that answer the question?)

>Also, if I put an Appletalk card in my ][+, can I use it?

No, I don't think so--the ROM on the card needs a 65C02 and may also
require ROM routines that aren't present in the II+.  All the software
Apple provides for AppleTalk requires IIe-style 128K and IIe-style
80-columns.

>--Chan
>kodali@portia.stanford.edu

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

kodali@portia.Stanford.EDU (VAS KODALI) (08/28/89)

In article <34349@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>In article <4852@portia.Stanford.EDU> kodali@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Chan Wilson) writes:
>>[...]  But I've always wanted to know how
>>Apple manages to have a selectable $C000 space...
>
>The enhanced IIe and some models of the IIc have additional ROM that can
>be switched in in the $C100..$CFFF space--this is handled with $C0xx
>softswitches known to the main ROM of each machine.
>
>(Did that answer the question?)

Uhmm.. yes, it did.

In another vein, will there be a 'segmentg' option added to
Shrinkit, similar to Stuffit for the Mac?  I shrinked the contents
of my hard disk, resulting in a large file that won't fit on a floppy...

oops.

--Chan
kodali@portia.stanford.edu