[comp.sys.apple] PURGE-O-MATIC AND DPII

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (08/25/89)

First of all let me thank whomever it was that mentioned the
"Purge-omatic" solution to launching DeluxePaint II under GS/OS V3.0

Worked like a champ!  Now what I would like to know is what exactly does
purge-o-matic actually do?  Why is it needed or what is it about DPII that
makes this necessary.

/chris

Sorry if you may have seen this post before.  We've been having a devil of
a time with our gateway (DECWRL) and it has been quite unreliable lately.

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

emerrill@tippy.uucp (08/26/89)

>Now what I would like to know is what exactly does purge-o-matic
>actually do?  Why is it needed or what is it about DPII that
>makes this necessary.

Purge-o-Matic frees up as much memory as possible by removing unneeded
tools from memory, and compacting the memory to make the largest single
block available.  DeluxePaint II will run just fine for me using ProSel
(1.25 meg), but not the finder...

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/28/89)

In article <689@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>Worked like a champ!  Now what I would like to know is what exactly does
>purge-o-matic actually do?  Why is it needed or what is it about DPII that
>makes this necessary.

Zink or somebody also published a Paintworks Gold patch for similar purposes.
It appears to me that these applications insist on glomming onto a large
contiguous storage array, and give up if they don't get it.  Purging the
dynamically-allocated memory ensures that they'll get it, if it's available.
The PWG patch (I think) makes PWG no longer limit its request to the lowest
1.25MB, but allows free memory from other locations to be used if necessary.