[comp.sys.apple] posting news

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (08/24/89)

In article <3135@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) writes:
[ all kinds of stuff]

>    Y'know what?  I just tried posting this article (all above this line) and
>it was 'rejected by inews... included more text then new text'<more or less>!!
>I took all of the '>'s uot of empty lines, and stuck in a few extra blanks and
>here we go.....

inews is looking at the '>' thingys at the start of each line.  If you change
them to a different character, you won't get that message.  Most editors have
a global replace option (try 1,$ s/>/#/g in vi).  Adding extra text to make it
happy just makes Usenet strain a little harder...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/24/89)

Actually, your initial reaction to A2-Central is understandable.
I was a very disappointed at first but since I had subscribed for
a year and was too lazy to cancel I kept getting it. After a few
issues I came to be a believer! For one thing, articles that didn't
have any real value in the past came in handy at times. A problem would
come up and I'd remember that I'd read about it in A2. ( they have a
very handy index for just that reason). One of their undocumented
features is their personal help with computer problems. I have had
two occasions in which I could not get helpful answers from anyone
and I then wrote to A2 about them. The interesting thing was that
in both cases, even though my question weren't printed I received
personal letters from the editors solving my problems. I mentioned
owning an Imagewriter LQ and a //c once ( bragging really) and they
later forwarded a letter from another subscriber who was having
problems that I had answers to. In short, subscribing to A2 is more
like joining a club with the mag serving as a newsletter.
My reactions to problems with mail order companies is much like yours
and I can appreciate your being ticked off, but you really might consider
giving A2 another shot.

>In article <3135@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) writes:
>[ all kinds of stuff]
>
>>    Y'know what?  I just tried posting this article (all above this line) and
>>it was 'rejected by inews... included more text then new text'<more or less>!!
>
>inews is looking at the '>' thingys at the start of each line.  If you change
>them to a different character, you won't get that message...

I'd MUCH prefer you all let inews "do its thing" and instead purge MOST
of the redundant lines.  It's VERY annoying to have to wade through a (usually
long) message that I've already read looking for whatever's new (often I
give up and dump the whole thing).

While it does help to repeat enough of the message being replied to for the
reader to be able to recall what the thread is all about, it's rarely
necessary to reprise the whole thing.  I think inews had it right in the
first place.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/28/89)

In article <8908271512.aa11769@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>I think inews had it right in the first place.

I don't.  Often, the question being answered takes several lines, and
the answer may only require one.

On Mon, 28 Aug 89 07:30:19 GMT you said:
>In article <8908271512.aa11769@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph
> Sewall) writes:
>>I think inews had it right in the first place.
>
>I don't.  Often, the question being answered takes several lines, and
>the answer may only require one.

IF the WHOLE message is under 20 lines, I take it back :-)