[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS brings small bug?

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/22/89)

Could someone go out and verify that I'm not the one causing this problem?

Boot into GS/OS 3.0.

Go to the Control Panel/Control Panel.  Go to Sound.  Set the sound to the
lowest setting available.  The new software makes thisa built in 'VISIBELL',
in other words, no sound, but the border flashes...leave the control panel.

Go to BASIC.SYSTEM (I was using 1.3).  Type ctrl-G a few times...notice the
flashing...type ctrl-x BEFORE tying ctrl-m....now type ANYTHING that would
cause a syntax error.  The ctrl-x was to show that it wasn't simply sounding
the bell that causes the problem.  It may be error or screen or who knows
routines that are doing it...
I start getting repetitive gibberish.  This does NOT happen unless the sound is
set to the lowest setting.

whats going on?
BTW, I might not check my mail for a few days...don't worry, I'll be back!
:)
Brendan

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/24/89)

In article <0YwBnxa00W0J81iV5C@andrew.cmu.edu> bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) writes:

>Could someone go out and verify that I'm not the one causing this problem?

[Boot System Software 5.0 on a ROM 1 machine, set sound volume to 0 so the
border blinks for a beep, go into BASIC.SYSTEM, and get gibberish when the
bell sounds during a ?SYNTAX ERROR]

I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior.  Anybody else?

Brendan, do you have any CDAs, NDAs, or System.Setup files that don't
come with the System Software?  (If so, try removing or inactivating them
and see if the problem goes away.)

Can you describe the "gibberish" in more detail?  (It might actually mean
something.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (08/24/89)

In article <34255@apple.Apple.COM# dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
|In article <0YwBnxa00W0J81iV5C@andrew.cmu.edu# bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) writes:
||Could someone go out and verify that I'm not the one causing this problem?
|[Boot System Software 5.0 on a ROM 1 machine, set sound volume to 0 so the
|order blinks for a beep, go into BASIC.SYSTEM, and get gibberish when the
|ell sounds during a ?SYNTAX ERROR]
|
|I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior.  Anybody else?
|
|Brendan, do you have any CDAs, NDAs, or System.Setup files that don't
|come with the System Software?  (If so, try removing or inactivating them
|and see if the problem goes away.)
|
|Can you describe the "gibberish" in more detail?  (It might actually mean
|something.)

I tried it, and *did* duplicate the problem Brendan mentioned.  However,
it happened only in 40 column mode; in 80 columns, everything worked just
fine.

The "gibberish" seems to be a combination of digits and Applesoft words
(at least for me).

Jeff Hartkopf

Internet:
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/28/89)

Ooops, sorry, I forgot to deactivate all my 'extras'.  I'll check to see
if there is something that is causing it other than the system software...

I'll get back to ya.

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/28/89)

Did you have any extras installed when you got the gibberish in 40 columns?

DAs, inits, etc?