[comp.sys.apple] Z-80 card for CP/M

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (08/23/89)

I am considering purchasing a Z-80 card for my //gs.  I understand that they
can only address 64k, but I fell that such a card can be had cheaply, and
access many languages (im mainly interested in Modula-II, which I cant seem
to find an apple version of), it may be worth it.

I was wondering if some people could tell me the experiences they have had
with Z-80 cards, where to buy a cheap one, and how much $$ I am in for (im
assuming that you would have to purchase the operating system BESIDES buying
the card...  After all, if I were to buy a VAX 11/780, they wouldnt just
THROW in UNIX....).

Thank you much!

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (08/25/89)

Network Comment: to #3371 by blake!ndsuvax!nuwilken@beaver.cs.washington.edu

You can get a CP/M card from Price Busters, 4233 Spring St., Ste. 402, La
Mesa,CA 92041  (619)589-0081.  The price is $34.00 I am not sure if that
includes
software.  You could also get it at a swap meet for about half that price.
If you want I can probably sell you one for $20.00.
Price Buster advertises in inCider they have a at least 2 yr warranty

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (08/25/89)

In article <2853@ndsuvax.UUCP> nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) writes:
>I am considering purchasing a Z-80 card for my //gs.  I understand that they
>can only address 64k, but I fell that such a card can be had cheaply, and
>access many languages (im mainly interested in Modula-II, which I cant seem
>to find an apple version of), it may be worth it.

I have Modula-II for the Apple II which is based on the same UCSD
P-System that Apple Pascal uses.  (not surprising, since Modula-II is
very Pascal-like)  Its nice to be able to use an existing disk format for
exchanging files.

>I was wondering if some people could tell me the experiences they have had
>with Z-80 cards, where to buy a cheap one, and how much $$ I am in for (im
>assuming that you would have to purchase the operating system BESIDES buying
>the card...  After all, if I were to buy a VAX 11/780, they wouldnt just
>THROW in UNIX....).
>
>Scott

I purchased my Microsoft Softcard clone (by Tiawan Peripheral) for $20.
At that price I don't mind that its pretty boring using CP/M (which came
with the card, on just two disks).  I guess it wouldn't be so boring if I
actively sought out a few languages for it.  I would suggest seeing what
you can find for the Z-80 before you purchase such a card.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (08/28/89)

Scott Wilken (nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP) wrote:

| I am considering purchasing a Z-80 card for my //gs.  I understand that they
| can only address 64k, but I fell that such a card can be had cheaply, and
| access many languages (im mainly interested in Modula-II, which I cant seem
| to find an apple version of), it may be worth it.

There are many languages for CP/M and ZCPR:

	- Turbo Pascal v3.0
	- Turbo Modula-2
	- Small-C
	- BDS C v6.0
	- ZBASIC
	- MBASIC and CBASIC (I *HAD* to say it!)
	- Microsoft FORTRAN
	- Eco-C (I THINK)
	- Mix C
	- F83 (Forth, public domain)

I bought my original Microsoft Z80 SoftCard for $50 at a swapfest.  Later, I
replaced it with a PCPI Applicard Z80 card that I bought out of the wantads
in Computer Shopper for $40.  In both cases, the system software was included.

Both are nice cards - but the PCPI runs faster, allows the Apple II to CONTINUE
running, and will run ZCPR 3.3.  Also, people tend to equate "Apple CP/M" with
"Microsoft Softcard" - durned annoying, if you ask me.

	[david]

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (08/29/89)

You said you had Modula-II for the Apple II?  Who makes it, and where did you
get it, and where can I get it?

Thanks

Osiris