[comp.sys.apple] new virus

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/29/89)

In article <8908281349.aa05220@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> info-apple-request@SMOKE.BRL.MIL writes:
>I don't think that there is a virus hidden anywhere in SpeedySmith.
>I've disassembled all versions I've got (1.1, 1.1g, 2.1 and 2.2) ...

This is the second similar posting, and there is a fundamental
misunderstanding about such viruses that should be corrected.  It is
not ALL versions of SpeedySmith that are reported to be infected, just
SOME that were distributed via BBSes.  This particular virus will
gladly adopt a new host once it has spread, so the current infection
could be spread by any of a number of programs.  SpeedySmith has the
distinction of being one of the first that evidence indicated had been
an (unwilling!) host.  Your system is not safe merely because you never
came into contact with SpeedySmith, and it is not infected merely
because it did.  Forget SpeedySmith and concentrate on the virus.