[comp.sys.apple] //e Monitor ROM documentation

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/23/89)

I have a friend who is looking for documentation on the //e
monitor ROMs that is in greater detail than that provided
by the Apple Monitor ROM book i.e., he wants a listing of all
routines, their function, input, and output requirements. does
such a book/file exist?

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/24/89)

In article <1322@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>I have a friend who is looking for documentation on the //e
>monitor ROMs that is in greater detail than that provided
>by the Apple Monitor ROM book i.e., he wants a listing of all
>routines, their function, input, and output requirements. does
>such a book/file exist?
>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

    A      CCCC    K   K   !!    The published reference material
   A A    C        K  K    !!    *is* a complete reference for all
  A   A   C        K K     !!    of the routines in ROM that are
  AAAAA   C        KK      !!    guaranteed to be there.
  A   A   C        K K     !!
  A   A   C        K  K          It is very definitely in your best
  A   A    CCCC    K   K   !!    interest *not* to write programs that
                                 assume more things about the ROM than
  are documented officially.  That is, if you are at all concerned with
  whether your software works on any future Apple products, at least.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/24/89)

From article <34237@apple.Apple.COM>, by dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons):
> In article <1322@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>>I have a friend who is looking for documentation on the //e
>>monitor ROMs...

>     A      CCCC    K   K   !!    The published reference material
>    A A    C        K  K    !!    *is* a complete reference for all
>   A   A   C        K K     !!    of the routines in ROM that are
>   AAAAA   C        KK      !!    guaranteed to be there.
>   A   A   C        K K     !!
>   A   A   C        K  K          It is very definitely in your best
>   A   A    CCCC    K   K   !!    interest *not* to write programs that
>                                  assume more things about the ROM than
>   are documented officially.  That is, if you are at all concerned with
>   whether your software works on any future Apple products, at least.

I wasn't questioning whether the Apple Monitor book was
complete. It is. However, it has no text (other than instruction
comments) that explain the functions of the various routines.

I'm referring to the thin little book that came with or I bought,
can't remember now, with my //e. It is nothing more than an
assembly listing. As Pogo once said, "figuring out monitor ROM
listings is like untangling a can of bait - quiet but absorbing
work."

If you have another book in mind, then that is exactly what my
friend is looking for and we would love to know its name, etc.
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/25/89)

In article <1350@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>[...]
>I wasn't questioning whether the Apple Monitor book was
>complete. It is. However, it has no text (other than instruction
>comments) that explain the functions of the various routines.
>[...]
>If you have another book in mind, then that is exactly what my
>friend is looking for and we would love to know its name, etc.
>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

Whoops...sorry to misinterpret your 1st message.  I'm not sure what document
you already have, but it sounds like you're looking for Appendix B of
the Apple IIe Technical Reference Manual (Addison-Wesley; ISBN 0-201-17750-1).
The appendix isn't the most verbose thing in history, but it's decent.
(It also isn't terribly thick...the collection of guaranteed routines is
not huge.)

shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (08/25/89)

In article <34269@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:

> [answering to a query about monitor routines]
> ... I'm not sure what document
>you already have, but it sounds like you're looking for Appendix B of
>the Apple IIe Technical Reference Manual (Addison-Wesley; ISBN 0-201-17750-1).

I don't know how the newer versions of the manual are (or if there are any
changes), but my //e Reference Manual has a *very small number of monitor
routines, with some particularly glaring non-mentions.  One I can think
off right off hand is that BASCALC (the routine calculating base video
addresses for the //e's perverted video addresses) isnt mentioned in the
manual, even though the deletion of its entry point would probably break
about half of all Apple software.

Are there any more complete lists of routines guaranteed to stay around?

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/25/89)

In article <29038@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@haarlem.UUCP (Subash Shankar) writes:
[...]
>I don't know how the newer versions of the manual are (or if there are any
>changes), but my //e Reference Manual has a *very small number of monitor
>routines, with some particularly glaring non-mentions.  One I can think
>off right off hand is that BASCALC [...]

Dang!  You're right.

I'll look into this further and probably write a (guess what...) Technote
with the additions.

plate@dicome.UUCP.uucp (Doug Plate) (08/25/89)

In article <1350@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>From article <34237@apple.Apple.COM>, by dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons):
>> In article <1322@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>>>I have a friend who is looking for documentation on the //e
>>>monitor ROMs...

I have a book that has been very useful, I think its called 'Apple
Programmers Manual' and it is published by Howard Sams.  I don't know if
it is complete, but it gives a good description of most of the Monitor
routines.  It also gives a detailed description of DOS 3.3 down to the
lowest level, Integer and Applesoft BASIC, memory maps, softswitches, etc.

Doug Plate
dicome!plate

kodali@portia.Stanford.EDU (VAS KODALI) (08/26/89)

In article plate@dicome.UUCP (Doug Plate) writes:
>In article <1350@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>>From article <34237@apple.Apple.COM>, by dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons):

Okay, what I'd like to see is a //e & //c version of _What's Where in the
APPLE?_, by William F. Luebbert.  I've long since worn the covers off my
copy, for when I have a question it is most likely to contain the answer.

Now, this is a tall request, I'll be the first to admit.  We've got, let's
see here, at least 3 flavors of //e (Unenhanced, enhanced, platinum) and
at least 5 flavors of //c(+)   But I've always wanted to know how
Apple manages to have a selectable $C000 space...

Ooh, speaking of wanting to know, how come my //c+ has a modem connector
on the motherboard?  What are those other "interesting looking" connectors
on the motherboard, while were at it?  Is there a SCSI connector buried in
there????

And can I put 1meg chips on my Apple memory cards, so I have 4 megs on
it instead of 1meg?  (nevermind that I can't afford it at the moment,
that's _beside_ the point :-)

Also, if I put an Appletalk card in my ][+, can I use it?

"ASCII no questions, you RDKEY no answers..."

--Chan
kodali@portia.stanford.edu

garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) (08/27/89)

Network Comment: to #715 by obsolete!att!cbnewsd!bird%ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Reply to Joe Walters re: //e Monitor Roms Stuff...

The Apple //e Technical Reference Manual has the //e ROMs listing... in toto.
The manual should be available from your local Apple dealer (where I got
mine.)  What more could your friend expect???

Proline: garths@pro-xy                       "Under carefully controlled
InterNet: crash!garths@pro-xy.cts.com         clinical situations, an
ARPA: crash!pro-xy!garths@nosc.mil            organism behaves as it damn
UUCP: crash!pro-xy!garths                     well pleases." (Harvard Law
CIS: 72416,1622                               of Animal Behavior.)
GEnie: dipswitch
APE: hotchips

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/29/89)

In article <8908280233.AA16542@obsolete.UUCP> garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) writes:
>The Apple //e Technical Reference Manual has the //e ROMs listing... in toto.
>The manual should be available from your local Apple dealer (where I got
>mine.)  What more could your friend expect???

He could expect a list of all the things that are *guaranteed* to stay true
in future Apple II models.  (Until recently, I thought the Apple IIe
Reference Manual had a good list of them, but it's been demonstrated here
that the list isn't complete.)