[comp.sys.apple] Cooling problems

paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) (08/17/89)

I've got a very fully populated apple //e system. (slot 7 is only one free).
I just went up from 256K to 1M on my Ramworks III, and I've been having
problems w/ the computer getting rather hot. (Actually, it's more the RAM
chips). I got a fan(from Jameco) a day or two ago, and while it helps w/ the
power supply, I haven't noticed any difference in the temp. of the chips. I'm
worried about this as I know this heating/cooling/heating/cooling cycle isn't
good for the RAM. Any ideas?

Mark

--
| Albert Einstein got his name after he got| Mark D. Kakatsch                 |
| smashed from drinking only only one stein| paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu         |

aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael Owen) (08/17/89)

In article <3863@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> paravia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) writes:
>I've got a very fully populated apple //e system. (slot 7 is only one free).
>I just went up from 256K to 1M on my Ramworks III, and I've been having
>problems w/ the computer getting rather hot. (Actually, it's more the RAM
>chips). I got a fan(from Jameco) a day or two ago, and while it helps w/ the
>power supply, I haven't noticed any difference in the temp. of the chips. I'm
>worried about this as I know this heating/cooling/heating/cooling cycle isn't
>good for the RAM. Any ideas?

My machine's the same--in fact, *every* slot in my IIe is filled, including a
RAMWorks III (1 MB), Datalink 2400, and Transwarp.  Tell me about cooling
problems...

First of all, with that many cards, a more powerful power supply is mandatory.
If you still have the standard Apple one, get it replaced.  I've got AE's
souped-up job that's rated to 6000 mA, and have had no problems with it (other
than the power switch is reversed from Apple's: down is on, up is off).

I've also got a Kensington System Saver installed.  These two items seem to
have taken care of any problems.  Since I run a BBS, my machine is on all the
time, so I think I can recommend this combination with some experience.

Now, I've got a question about Applied Ingenuity's InnerDrive.  How large is
the power supply in it?  Does it rate as highly as AE's?  Could I conceivably
install one in my current system and expect the same results that my AE power
supply delivers?

>Mark

       />    The Broken Blade           Aragorn III (Michael Owen)
      /< ________ ______________        Inet: aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu
C=====[*>_______/|______________>       ProLine: aragorn@pro-ruby
      \<                                Starfleet HQ: (206) 783-5589  3/12/24
_______\>_____"Ai na vedui!"__________________________________________________

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (08/18/89)

When I ran a board, I chopped the center of the cover out.  I needed the top to
hold the monitor obviously, but I copped all the rest out.  That did the trick.

aptc1%mkvax1%msus1.bitnet

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (08/18/89)

I have a friend with a IIe with slots
1.  Apple SSC card Connected to an ImageWriter II
2.  Epic 2400 Classic II Modem
3.  Nothing, but an 832K RamWorks II in the Aux Slot
4.  Mouse Card (not installed yet)
5.  Central Point UDC w/1 3.5" Drive
6.  Apple 5.25" Disk Controller connected to DuoDisk
7.  Apple SCSI Card connected to a Chinook 40 Mbyte HD

He has a Kensington System Saver IIe, and everything is nice and cool.

Osiris

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Administrator) (08/20/89)

Network Comment: to #9006 by APTC1%MKVAX1%MSUS1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

An alternative to chopping out the center of the Apple IIe cover for cooling
purposes is to place the cover on the machine sideways.  It will fit very
nicely and it keeps the front of the machine open (where the slant it).

I have the cover on my BBS like this and it helps reduce the heat quite a bit.

Dale

 uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale                     pro-colony
 arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil          (214) 370-7056
 proline: dale@pro-colony                            3/12/2400 baud - 24 hrs

UD161733@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (08/22/89)

My friend runs a BBS with the following configuration...
(ever heard that one before....hehehe)

Anyway.  You guys ever heard of Kensington System Saver IIe's?  They keep 'em
nice and cool.

Osiris

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (08/24/89)

Comment to message from: dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Administrator)

> An alternative to chopping out the center of the Apple IIe cover for cooling
> purposes is to place the cover on the machine sideways.  It will fit very
> nicely and it keeps the front of the machine open (where the slant it).

That sounds kind of unnecessary to me.

My //e has been running non-stop for the last four and a half years and I've
never had a heat problem.  At one time or another I've had all the slots
filled and have had a meg-a-ram on my original Ramworks card.

I do have a Kensington System Saver and all the holes in the back filled with
their covers or else have the connectors screwed down tight to keep air from
coming in from the back.  The airflow comes through the holes in the bottom
and on the right side of the case.

I have had two power supplies go south though.  According to my dealer I'd
over extended them with all the cards I kept plugged into the machine.  No bid
deal though:  Applecare for three years on a //e is the price of one Apple
power supply.

Paul
|UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] ..!crash!pro-europa!paul   |     Texas SysOps Unite!      |
|INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com                 | Join COSUARD!  Let's Fight!  |
|ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil          |  See you on the 16th Kirk!   |

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (08/29/89)

Network Comment: to #9240 by paul@pro-europa.cts.com

The main reason why I have my cover sideways is that I get in and out of the
computer alot.  I can also get to some DIP switches without having to take the
whole thing apart this way.

I have also gone through 1 power supply (an Apple one) in the 2 years
pro-colony has been up.