[comp.sys.apple] A few questions...

tomp@pro-party.cts.com (Tom Pierce) (07/22/89)

     Okay, I have a few (ha!) questions for you guys ( oops... no more 'Women
on the net???' flames --- I ment folks :-) on the net.

 Here goes:

          1.  Can you have

tomp@pro-party.cts.com (Tom Pierce) (08/13/89)

    Okay, I've got a few questions for you folks on the net. (Tamara- notice
the change!)

 Here goes:

          1.  Can you have 2 Apple SCSI cards hooked up to 1 drive, or can
              you only do that with CMS cards?

          2.  Can you have one computer on and one off?

          3.  Can you boot them both off of the drive at the same time?

          4.  If both cards try to read/write at the same time do the 'jobs'
              get 'spooled'?

          5.  Is it the Apple CARDS or DRIVES that have to be powered up for
              thirty seconds before the cpu??  Bob Lindabury wrote that "the
              Apple SCSI "**"drive"**" requires that you have the drive
              powered up for 30 seconds before the computer."  [ stuff about
              ProLine reboot zapped. ] If the power went out & came back on
              "with the Apple "**"card"**" it'd be stuck" until somebody came
              in to fix it.  See, once he says drive & once he says card, Bob
              (or ANYBODY) please straiten me out!! (not direct quotes-but
              close)

          6.  ProLine!!  Gimme a list of 'em!!  The ones in New Jersey (where
              I am), Pensylvania, and New York would be best, but others in
              the north-east would be great too! Especially if they get this
              list!!!  ( This is a tad urgent, the proline I'm on now is in
              TEXAS -- llllooooonnnggg distance )

          7.  How do you use (or subscribe to :-) Telenet???

      thanks in advance for any & all replies

                         Tom Pierce

" These opinions can be harmful or deadly if swallowed..."
                            Is this someone else's discliamer??

jlink@pro-xy.cts.com (John Link) (08/14/89)

Network Comment: to #398 by obsolete!pro-party!tomp

>how do you do a warm re-boot of proline with an Apple SCSI?  (more or less)

I do it all the time.  Just write a short BASIC boot program the boots from a
different drive (I can't imagine the hd being the only drive on the system)
that speicifically verifies the existence of the proline startup program on
the drive and slot upon which it normally resides.  Use and ONERR statement to
direct logic to reboot from the same secondary drive, by which time the SCSI
would certainly be up to speed.  If the startup program is found, then reboot
from the SCSI drive.  I have been doing this for 6 months, and find that
usually by the time ProDOS is to the point of polling the devices to wee what
is around my Seagate 277n drive is up to speed, and gets recognized...it
certainly does not take 30 seconds.  But sometimes, it is not, and I get a
second boot, by then all is ok.  What is nice about this setup is that it will
reboot an infinite number of times, so the only circumstance that woulc put
your BBS down is the one in which the SCSI drive got mangled.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/15/89)

In article <8908130803.AA29921@trout.nosc.mil> tomp@pro-party.cts.com (Tom Pierce) writes:
>[...]
>  5.  Is it the Apple CARDS or DRIVES that have to be powered up for
>      thirty seconds before the cpu??  Bob Lindabury wrote that "the
>      Apple SCSI "**"drive"**" requires that you have the drive
>      powered up for 30 seconds before the computer."  [ stuff about
>      ProLine reboot zapped. ] If the power went out & came back on
>      "with the Apple "**"card"**" it'd be stuck" until somebody came
>      in to fix it.  See, once he says drive & once he says card, Bob
>      (or ANYBODY) please straiten me out!! (not direct quotes-but
>      close)

It's the Apple SCSI card that requires any drives connected to it (whether
they're Apple drives or not) to be ready when it checks for them when the
card is powered up.  If a drive isn't there to say Hello when the card first
looks, the card doesn't know the drive exists.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

arkie@m2-net.UUCP (Joseph Wisdom) (08/28/89)

Does anyone out there have or know of where to get these possible items for
the Apple //c, if they exist:

1.  Is there any program that would be able to emulate the UUCP protocol
	and be able to call into a Unix machine and retrieve and read mail?

2.  Any type of documentation for the Hyperr-C disks that I downloaded
	recently from 'husc6.harvard.edu'?

3.  Any sort of public-domain implementation of the game Tetris?

Please mail directly to this address:  <arkie%m-net@itivax.iti.org>.
Thanks in advance.

			- Joe

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (08/29/89)

In article <3889@m2-net.UUCP>, arkie@m2-net.UUCP (Joseph Wisdom) writes:

> 2.  Any type of documentation for the Hyperr-C disks that I downloaded
> 	recently from 'husc6.harvard.edu'?

Many of us have received disk 1 (system, compiler, editor, etc.) for
the Shareware version of Hyper-C, and and still waiting for disk 2,
which is supposed to contain many utilities that will make the system
really usable.

This request is posted for whoever at 'husc6.harvard.edu' can answer the
following questions;

   1) Does the previous post refer to the Shareware HyperC previously
      posted to the Net, or the ProDOS Version???
   2) Is disk 2 (are there more?? 3? 4? etc?) part of the package???
   3) How can I access the files (I don't have Anon ftp)???
   4) Could the available files be posted to 'comp.binaries.apple2'???
      (not necessary if only disk 1 of the Shareware HyperC is there,
      however others might like to see it since the first posting was
      sent out over 'comp.sys.apple' and not the binaries newsgroup)

Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided...

--
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.