[comp.sys.apple] Another compatibility question

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (08/12/89)

Going out to Apple DTS types and others similarly inclined:

Just was doing some messing around with my hard disk, but didn't install
anything new except for some icons (and only a few at that).  Oh yeah,
and animated watch (could be the problem?)

Anyway, when trying to run SHRConvert.GSOS (the boot file into the rest of
the application), I got a GS System Error #2 Address = $00E28A and LC Bank
is equal to 0.  Any guesses?  Answers?  Advice?

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (08/12/89)

In article <3385105@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Anyway, when trying to run SHRConvert.GSOS (the boot file into the rest of
>the application), I got a GS System Error #2 Address = $00E28A and LC Bank
>is equal to 0.  Any guesses?  Answers?  Advice?

Hey, I just ran into the same problem.  If you run SHRCONVERT (not the
small bootup file that runs Purge-O-Matic),  SHRConvert will run.
However, I find that if I choose LOAD, insert a different disk, change
my mind and CANCEL, then choose LOAD again, SHRConvert hangs with the
watch symbol.  You can still move the cursor around, but the computer
is dead.

Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |  "User Friendly Killing Machines"  |    AlinkPE: AFC DaveS
          |  A Division of SLO, International  |     Bitnet: dseah@wpi.bitnet

In article <3385105@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

>Anyway, when trying to run SHRConvert.GSOS (the boot file into the rest of
>the application), I got a GS System Error #2 Address = $00E28A and LC Bank
>is equal to 0.  Any guesses?  Answers?  Advice?

From what I'm hearing on ALPE, under 5.0 you should NOT run SHRConvert.GSOS
to start the program.  Instead, just run SHRConvert.

>    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
>    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
>    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/14/89)

BTW, on the subject of SHRConvert...whats the newest version?

How does the speed of the GIF converter compare with that of older versions?
The older versions were just too slow (for my taste) to be usable...

(speaking up to 2.0 or 2.1 or whatever I saw last...)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/15/89)

In article <3385105@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Just was doing some messing around with my hard disk, but didn't install
>anything new except for some icons (and only a few at that).  Oh yeah,
>and animated watch (could be the problem?)

Hard to say...try *removing* the stuff you added, one thing at a time, and
see if your problem goes away.

>Anyway, when trying to run SHRConvert.GSOS (the boot file into the rest of
>the application), I got a GS System Error #2 Address = $00E28A and LC Bank
>is equal to 0.  Any guesses?  Answers?  Advice?

GS/OS Error 2 means GS/OS couldn't allocate memory that it needed during a
call.  The most common reason for that is that somebody passed a class 0
string where GS/OS expected a class 1 string, so you have what looks like
a *really* long pathname.  I don't see how that could be happening in your
case, though.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

j_p@pro-lep.cts.com (Jason Perez) (08/27/89)

Comment to message from: m2c!wpi!dseah@husc6.harvard.edu (David I Seah)

   I've used ShrConvert 2.1 for a while now and I haven't figured out what the
Purge-O-Matic is, any help here??

Confused!

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (08/29/89)

On Sat, 26 Aug 89 20:35:21 CDT Jason Perez said:
>Comment to message from: m2c!wpi!dseah@husc6.harvard.edu (David I Seah)
>
>   I've used ShrConvert 2.1 for a while now and I haven't figured out what the
>Purge-O-Matic is, any help here??
>
>Confused!

  Purge-O-Matic purges unused tools from memory and tries to assemle large
blocks of contiguous memory for programs that require it and might otherwise
bomb.  I have used it, after a slight modification, to be able to run
Chessmaster 2100 off GS/OS.  It is of similar use with several other programs,
although it has a tendency to bomb itself.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein