[comp.sys.apple] System version 5

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET (Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore) (08/27/89)

Hello.  Are dealers supposed to give free copies of system 5?  Mine won't....

>Are dealers supposed to give free copies of system 5?  Mine won't....

IF<-- you bring in proof of ownership of an earlier version (usually a
disk with Apple's label on it), dealers are *supposed* to let you MAKE
a copy (I suppose they are permitted to charge a reasonable duplication
fee of a couple of bucks if they insist on squeezing out every last $$$).

Not long ago Rick Ewing <REwing@Apple.COM> offered to supply the name
and phone number of the Apple regional office nearest you so you can
phone or write with a SPECIFIC complaint about dealers not living up to
your (and Apple's) expectations.  Perchance if you ask to make the
call using your dealer's phone, they'll decide you can make a copy after
all :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

jib@prism.TMC.COM (08/29/89)

RE: System Disk 5.0 & Upgrades

While Apple allows (and even encourages) dealers to allow customers to
make copies of System Disk 5.0, it DOES NOT (because it cannot, legally)
require the dealers to make copies.  In fact, after contacting 15 dealers
in the New York City/Long Island area, I only found 2 that would let me
make copies.  I will remember and patronize those who are helpful.

(On the other hand several dealers believed they were not allowed to make
free copies and even Apple's own customer relations people have given out
wrong information on this policy).

If your dealers won't let you copy it, Genie, Applelink  PE or Compuserve
have the disks available for downloading -- not free (about $10-15 for
connect time, but cheaper than $49 for the packaged kit.

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

emerrill@tippy.uucp (08/29/89)

>Hello.  Are dealers supposed to give free copies of system 5?  Mine won't....

Mine not only let me make a copy of system 5.0, but he also physically
brought his master disks to my work place the very next day after he
received them (on a Friday) and told me to take 'em home, make copies,
and then drop them by his office Monday morning...  Very nice!!  :-)

 |  Eric Merrill  Alink PE:  Doc Neuro  GEnie:  e.merrill  |
 |               tippy!emerrill@newton.physics.purdue.edu  |
 |   Disclaimer:                                           |
 |     If you think I'm serious, that's your problem!      |
 |_________________________________________________________|

rewing@APPLE.COM (Richard Ewing) (08/29/89)

Actually, its the dealer's perogative whether or not to give free or
marginally free software updates.  Of course, you can always bitch
to Apple if a dealer doesn't follw Apple's recommendation.  Since most
do offer this service, you usually don't find one that doesn't, but
it can happen.  I'm trying to track down just where the Apple Alaska
offices are now.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (08/30/89)

In article <242000030@prism> jib@prism.TMC.COM writes:
>While Apple allows (and even encourages) dealers to allow customers to
>make copies of System Disk 5.0, it DOES NOT (because it cannot, legally)
>require the dealers to make copies.  In fact, after contacting 15 dealers
>in the New York City/Long Island area, I only found 2 that would let me
>make copies.  I will remember and patronize those who are helpful.

So, how about making a list of dealers around the nation who *do
let you make system copies, and circulating the list on the net (and
to Apple dealers who don't).

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar