[comp.sys.apple] Misc. Computer Stuff For Sale

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (08/01/89)

For Sale:

   First Class Peripherals Sider 10 Megabyte Hard Drive

       Runs on Apple ][,][+,//e,//gs, Franklin Ace 1000,1200,2200, etc...

          Comes with Hard Drive w/case & Power Supply.  Cooling fan sits
          on top to keep things chilled.  All cables and manuals included.
          Missing the Sider Host Adapter card which is the interface card
          to the hard drive from the Apple.  First Class Peripherals sells
          them for about $100.  I am using the drive now with a borrowed
          Host Adapter, so you can see that the drive does work, and very
          well at that.  It supports DOS 3.3, ProDOS, C/PM, and Pascal
          partitions.  Asking $200 or offer.

   Quantum Microfazer 64K Parellel Printer Spooling System.

       For Any Parallel printer (Centronix Standard cabling).

          This is a nice time saver, it lets you move on and do other
          things while your printer dumps out a document.  Lets you dump
          the text to the Microphazer, and fress up the computer for
          other things while the printer is chugging away.  Asking $80
          or offer.

   Snapshot Copykit //e w/system disk and manual.

       For Apple //e computer.

          Lets you freeze the computer at any time during the execution of
          any program and enter the monitor to dissasemble modify code,
          backup a program, save a game for finishing it later.  This card
          allows you to basically take a snapshot of the Apple //e memory
          and save it to disk.  You can then boot the disk later and continue
          where you left off.  Or you can use it to make backup copies of
          some of those copy protected programs.  Asking $90 or offer.

If you are interested in any of this stuff, drop me some mail, or give me a
ring, and make me an offer!   (I'll split shipping for outta state folks)

-Dan Vachon-  !att!drutx!dvac   (days) 303-538-5466   (eves) 303-289-2548

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com (Bob Sherman) (08/08/89)

Comment to message from: uci-ics!zardoz!tgate!ka3ovk!teemc!rolls!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!dvac@cs.ucla.edu (Daniel Vachon)

I don't know about you folks, but despite warnings AGAINST posting for sale
items here on the net, they still appear. I think it is time for us to somehow
let the posters of such messages that they do not belong, and WE will not pay
attention to them..

My statement to all who are thinking of advertising here on the net..

I WILL NOT CONSIDER FOR PURCHASE ANY MERCHANDISE ADVERTISED ON THESE NETS ...

Does anyone else care to join me is this boycott?

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (08/09/89)

Bob Sherman <bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com> writes:
> Comment to message from: uci-ics!zardoz!tgate!ka3ovk!teemc!rolls!mtuxo!mtgzz!d\
> rutx!dvac@cs.ucla.edu (Daniel Vachon)
>
> I don't know about you folks, but despite warnings AGAINST posting for sale
>items here on the net, they still appear. I think it is time for us to somehow
> let the posters of such messages that they do not belong, and WE will not pay
> attention to them..

I understand that there are rules for internet bboards such as
infor-apple, but what about the sister board com.sys.apple on netnews?
I don't recall there being rules about forsale postings there, and I
think what might happen is that messages posted to netnews get bounced
to this board where they are otherwise not allowed.

Atleast, I think that is what happens. My system has access to both
bboards and they duplicate each other rather well. But correct me if
my understanding of netnews' rules pertaining to personal advertising
is off the mark. However, this is where the forsale messages may be
coming from.

jeremy mereness
=============   "A car in every pot; a chicken in every garage"
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/09/89)

In article <sYrlzxm00XohIAqZs1@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
>I understand that there are rules for internet bboards such as
>infor-apple, but what about the sister board com.sys.apple on netnews?

INFO-APPLE and comp.sys.apple are gatewayed to each other; it's essentially
a single list.  In any case, comp.sys.apple is a technical newsgroup, and
it's inappropriate to try to exploit technical newsgroups for commercial
purposes, including especially "for sale" postings.  That's why there are
other USEnet newsgroups specifically for buy/sell traffic.

A small amount of consideration should suffice, when you realize that it
costs more to propagate a tech-group message planetwide than the entire
system value involved in these "for sale" postings.  Basically if you post
such an advertisement to this group, you're forcing people who had a
legitimate interest in paying for access to technical traffic to fund your
advertising costs.  That is an unfair burden, and if you don't think so you
should check your thinking.

jlink@pro-xy.UUCP (John Link) (08/09/89)

Network Comment: to #210 by obsolete!pro-angmar!pro-exchange!bsherman

When someone asks about a specific product, and how to get it, etc., what is
the harm in telling them?  As far as those offering used stuff (presumably
their own, personally owned equipment that is no longer needed), I am
positively appreciative of knowing about it.  I would even consider buying it,
if it is something I preceive as "needed."  On the other hand, I can see your
point, as far as someone using the net as "real" advertising, for regularly
offered products.  But I have not observed anything of that sort, though I
have looked in only for a week.  Whatever, I hope the personal 'classifieds'
keep on coming, as there appear to be some very good buys in some of them.
Instead of thinking of it as a violation of the "rules" maybe we can think of
it as a "swap meet" function on the net.

Information is important, and where to get things that are not widely
adevertised is, after all, information.  I'd say, I'd buy if it was something
I wanted, and not in *flagarant* violation of the rules.

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/09/89)

Network Comment: to #9760 by bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

Nope!

dcanfield@yvax.byu.edu (08/09/89)

*
*My statement to all who are thinking of advertising here on the net..
*
*I WILL NOT CONSIDER FOR PURCHASE ANY MERCHANDISE ADVERTISED ON THESE NETS ...
*
*Does anyone else care to join me is this boycott?

Nope, sorry Bob, but you are in this one by yourself.  I am COMPLETELY in
favor of people posting Apple computer related items to comp.sys.apple forsale.
Maybe I am a little off base on my ideas, but it seems kind of natural to post
Apple computer items forsale to an Apple computer network.

I don't see what your problem with this is.  The message you are uptight about
now is very well marked as being something forsale as are almost all of these
types of postings.  Just skip over them and don't read them if they bother you.
Its not like every other message is something forsale.

Dan Canfield
Send flames to DCANFIELD@BYUVAX or post them to the net.  I figure everyone
will get a kick out of watching people make fools of themselves.
My employer doesn't have any opinions so the above stated must be my own.

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (08/11/89)

In article <8908081220.AA20681@trout.nosc.mil>, bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com (Bob Sherman) writes:
> Comment to message from: uci-ics!zardoz!tgate!ka3ovk!teemc!rolls!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!dvac@cs.ucla.edu (Daniel Vachon)
>
> I WILL NOT CONSIDER FOR PURCHASE ANY MERCHANDISE ADVERTISED ON THESE NETS ...

Hey Bob...  This is a net for Apple II users....Everything I put on there was
for the Apple II.  I have bought numerous things through the net at some
pretty good deals.  Maybe you have money to burn and can head out to your
local Apple Dealer to pay $280 for a new keyboard...I can't.  I look for good
deals of stuff for sale on comp.sys.apple.  The newsgroup is about Apple,
and so wasn't my posting.  Sorry, but I do have a strong opinion about
that.  I imagine everyone will be flaming like crazy now, but I don't see
this kind of postings stopping when they get netters good deals on hardware,
and gives other netters a chance to find interested buyers for some older
hardware so they can buy new stuff from someone else....

Later -Dan-

avery@well.UUCP (Avery Ray Colter) (08/30/89)

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com (Bob Sherman) writes:

>My statement to all who are thinking of advertising here on the net..

>I WILL NOT CONSIDER FOR PURCHASE ANY MERCHANDISE ADVERTISED ON THESE NETS ...

>Does anyone else care to join me is this boycott?

SPEEK FER YERSELF!

I just downloaded a posting about a used Koala Pad. I think it would be handy
to have one o' those without having to pay store prices.

I've been following responses, and you seem to indicate you get here from other
than netnews. Am I to understand that the info-apple gateway, or whatever
you're using, doesn't have a KILL file?

If I wanted to pass over all the ads, for instance - I would just put a line
in my local comp.sys.apple kill file to junk any posting with "sale" anywhere
on the subject line. `Course, that might junk other stuff as well, but if I
were as patently insensed and horrified and hostile toward as you are toward
fellow Apple-eaters who just want to practice a little recycling...
something which in my opinion we should do more of in all areas.

I'm not about to boycott sellers. In fact, anyone willing to sell off a
graphics tablet real cheap can E-mail me anytime!

And if I hear any more flames from you about it.....

Well, it ain't the word "sell" that's gonna be added to my kill file.

No, it will be a kill by username. Guess who's.

--
Avery Ray Colter    avery@well.sf.ca.us   71067.606@compuserve.com
{apple,lamc,lll-winken,cogsci,hplabs,pacbell}!well!avery