[comp.sys.apple] RAM card as a print buffer?

hackman@pnet51.cts.com (Otto Heuer) (08/23/89)

I've got a memory expansion card on my //gs (total RAM 1.25 meg) and I was
wondering if there was a way to have Appleworks spool files to this extra
memory when printing.  I know you can get tsomething like Buffer Pro from
Applied Engineering, but it would be nice to use the memory I already have.

My memory expansion card is Apple's brand, not AE's (if that makes a
difference).

Thanks.
--HACK-MAN

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!hackman
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!hackman@nosc.mil
INET: hackman@pnet51.cts.com

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (08/24/89)

From article <881@orbit.UUCP>, by hackman@pnet51.cts.com (Otto Heuer):
> I've got a memory expansion card on my //gs (total RAM 1.25 meg) and I was
> wondering if there was a way to have Appleworks spool files to this extra
> memory when printing.
> My memory expansion card is Apple's brand, not AE's (if that makes a
> difference).

Unfortunately it does.  The AE RAM card comes with s/w that gives you a
"print spool" option.  If your card was by AE you'd have what you want
already.  Maybe there is another way though.  (since I have an AE card I
don't know if there is.)		Sorry,  Phil

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (08/29/89)

In article <574@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
>From article <881@orbit.UUCP>, by hackman@pnet51.cts.com (Otto Heuer):
>> I've got a memory expansion card on my //gs (total RAM 1.25 meg) and I was
>> wondering if there was a way to have Appleworks spool files to this extra
>> memory when printing.
>> My memory expansion card is Apple's brand, not AE's (if that makes a
>> difference).
>
>Unfortunately it does.  The AE RAM card comes with s/w that gives you a
>"print spool" option.  If your card was by AE you'd have what you want
>already.  Maybe there is another way though.  (since I have an AE card I
>don't know if there is.)		Sorry,  Phil
>
>> --HACK-MAN

AE sells their desktop expansion software for $15.00 (last time I upgraded
my software, it was $15.00).  Give them a call at (214) 241-6060.

Originally, I ran the expanded AppleWorks on my //e with a RamWorks.  Later
I wanted to run AW on my other //e, which has an AST SprintDisk (RamFactor-
type card).  However, the expansion software checks to see if it is a real
AE card onto which it is expanding.  If it is not an AE card, it hangs.

I have developed a 4-byte patch that will get the expanded AW running on
a non-AE card (at least a RamFactor-type card; don't know about GS cards,
as I do not have a GS [donations accepted]) that I could post or mail, as
demand requires.

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (08/30/89)

In article <603@studsys.mu.edu>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) writes:
> In article <574@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
> >From article <881@orbit.UUCP>, by hackman@pnet51.cts.com (Otto Heuer):
> >> I've got a memory expansion card on my //gs (total RAM 1.25 meg) and I was
> >> wondering if there was a way to have Appleworks spool files to this extra
> >> memory when printing.
>
> AE sells their desktop expansion software for $15.00 (last time I upgraded
> my software, it was $15.00).  Give them a call at (214) 241-6060.

If you are using UltramacroWorks you may have problems. The docs
for Ultra warn against using the AE print spooler with Ultra enhanced
Appleworks, and it does causes erratic printing on my system (only if I
try to use the spooler).  I don't have a GS butI'd strongly recommend
trying it out first or asking the people at Quality Computers what they
think. They have an 800 number and  IMHO are the only place to buy AE
stuff from.
Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch