[comp.sys.apple] Transwarp GS

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (12/14/88)

two and one-half times speed up for only $400?  gotta be a mistake.
What doesn't get speeded up?  (I/O of course -- but will graphics really
but accelerated?)

u546457684ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000004133;0;1;141;) (12/15/88)

    I haven't heard of a Transwarp GS coming out for the GS for Christmas.  It  looks like it probably won't, either.
      Richard Joe

cbennett@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Chris Bennett) (12/16/88)

The only problem with Transwarp GS is that not everyone will have it.  Since a
lot of people won't have it, I doubt that many software writers will produce
programs which rely on 7mhz-- and 2.8 mhz is just too slow for many
applications.  Now here's a dream and a half: What if Apple exchanged some
blood with AE (or whoever is making the Transwarp card) and offered it to
everyone at a nominal fee..?  Apple better do SOMETHING about the GS's speed
soon! (I'm beginning to suspect that APPLE II FOREVER means APPLE II FOREVER
DELAYED;  I want them to deal with the Apple II *NOW*.)
UUCP : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett   <IIgs+>  /###""""""""\
INET : cbennett@pro-newfrontier.cts.com <-NOW-> /###    #     \
ARPA : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett@nosc.mil |#####          |
GEnie: c-bennett AKA the Amateur <A Wandering> |##########     |
SNAIL: Chris Bennett, PO Box 14  <Philosopher>  \####### ##   /
-Burp- Lake Forest, Il., 60045 (Passing Maniac?) \########___/

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (12/17/88)

The only way I see that the Transswarp`s extra speed may be expoited is if
Applied Engineering offered the software themselves. AE is the only company
that can offer software "requiring" the speed of the Transwarp because
they produce the card the software would require. If it turned out to be
extremely excellent, then it might catch on.

If AE offered a line of software that made the GS sing under its 7MHz, then it
might boost sales of the Transwarp, and may even make Apple look a little
harder at the //, just like they did when Styleware came out with GSWorks that
is now Appleworks GS.
   -- Capt. Albatross

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (12/17/88)

If the Transwarp GS does what it is advertized to do, I don't see why
there is any particular need for new software to be written -- although
Appleworks (old) runs about as fast as anyone might want (except perhaps
for a large spreadsheet with lots of recalculating) any graphics-based
program, including just the Finder, should benefit from the 2.5 speedup
-- note that that includes all the wordprocessors that use the graphics
screen.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (12/17/88)

The ideas that software must "require" 7 MHz to produce sales of an
accelerator board, and that AE should produce such software, are off the
mark. It's the user the requires the speed, not the software. If you don't
mind waiting, then you don't need it.

The AE Transwarp for the //e, and now the Zip Chip for //x, have sold
very nicely because users wanted faster program execution.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (12/28/88)

FYI...
     The AE representative on GEnie still pegs 1Q '89 as the release time for
the TWGS. Probably in February. The last I heard, they had just started accept-
ing orders on the card (I believe at $399.00). Take this for what its worth...

							Rich

shankar@bedrock.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (03/08/89)

Has anybody received a Transwarp GS yet?
I was thinking of ordeing it, and I would like to hear of any compatibility
problems that may (or may not) occur.  Also, how much faster then a stock
GS is it - does it slow down to 1M when accessing slow memory, and if so
does this affect speed significantly in most applications?

Thanks.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

jordan%lvvm6.span@sds.sdsc.edu (RICH) (03/08/89)

I've spoken to a couple of people on GEnie who have received theirs. Not enough
time for any incompatibility reports. Mine isn't due in for another week. When
and if I hear anything concerning relative speed, (or have anything to report,
 :-) I will. From what I've read, it does have to slow down for slow memory
accesses (non-reliable sources...) but the speed increase even when performing
intensive graphics updates is still quite... nice! if the prototype I saw at
AppleFest SF is any indication...

								Rich

<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (03/11/89)

From article <18266@srcsip.UUCP>, by shankar@bedrock.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth):

> Has anybody received a Transwarp GS yet?

Read _A+_ mag.'s april '89 issue.  It's got a great writeup on it.  As far as
speed goes: Owen Linzmayer says its between 210% & 243% faster depending on
the application.  No drawbacks (except price).  Sounds great to me!!

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/11/89)

Well -- they have been presumably been shipping for several weeks now.
Anyone have anything to report?

>Well -- they have been presumably been shipping for several weeks now.
>Anyone have anything to report?

There is an item in the April issue of the Big Red Computer Club's
Scarlett which says that AE will *** EITHER *** ship !!! SOON !!! or
stop running ads that say they've already shipped!

(In fairness, the ad copy is placed several months in advance, and AE
must have been sooooooooo sure they'd be shipping by now).  I had a
developer tell me last October that the Transwarp IIgs was inf for LOTS
of trouble; frankly, he was will to accept a substantial wager that the
thing will NEVER work :-(

/s Murph

      I bought the latest computer;
      it came fully loaded.
      It was guaranteed for 90 days,
      but in 30 was outmoded!
        - The Wall Street Journal passed along by Big Red Computer's SCARLETT

   FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

MJB8718@RITVAX.BITNET (04/11/89)

>Well -- they have been presumably been shipping for several weeks now.
>Anyone have anything to report?

        Ordered mine 5 weeks ago and am still waiting.
                                                -Mike

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (04/12/89)

Gee, the TWGS will never work?  I've had mine installed for about a month now
I guess and have had no problems at all with it.  It speeds stuff up (8-bit &
16-bit) anywhere from 2x to 2.8x in my testing.  Totally transparent to
software though you have to set TIC's timing constant to 28 (from a usual 10)
to make the timing work right for xmodem loops etc.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (04/12/89)

I see some questions on the TWGS, like "is it shipping" and "does it work"?

I'm sitting here looking at the little green LED on mine flashing merrily
away.  Yes, they're shipping!

Do they work?  I've run a few programs with it, such as AppleWorks (Old,
classic, or whatever), AppleWriter, Talk Is Cheap, some of the ProSel
utilities, ECP 8 and 16, and a few others.  No problems besides me not being
ready for the speed.

I have found only one problem, and I'm not sure it's the TransWarp or my
hardware/software setup, but I've spoken to AE about it and they're working
with me on it, so I'm confident that if there's a problem fixable by AE, it'll
get fixed.  I'll pass on commenting on that one until I know a little more
about what's happening, but right now I doubt that it would affect many GS
users at all.  I guarantee if it's a TransWarp problem, I'll let you all know
about it.

The only complaint I have about it is that the startup sound is horrible.
However, you do have the option of turning it off.  I only had to listen to it
once (which was enough!).

If you want reports on how the neat graphics-based programs work, I can't help
you, but the speed increase is enough that it looks like they may become
nearly useable!

Rich Sims

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (04/12/89)

in article <8904110904.aa12654@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) says:

>>Well -- they have been presumably been shipping for several weeks now.
>>Anyone have anything to report?
>
> There is an item in the April issue of the Big Red Computer Club's
> Scarlett which says that AE will *** EITHER *** ship !!! SOON !!! or
> stop running ads that say they've already shipped!

It's real, and it's being shipped.

I saw a demo of the Transwarp GS last night at a local users group
meeting. The fellow got it last Sat. He had ordered it several months
ago from a mail order house for $299. He ran several pieces of software
with it including Publish-It.. Much faster than without the card.

He has tried it with over 30 major programs, and so far the only problem
he has found is withleworks 2.0 where it kept crashing into
monitor during certain functions, however with Appleworks 2.1 it works
very well.

Based upon the demo we saw, 7 people signed up for a group purchase
by the club of the card, so I am sure I was not the only one that was
impressed by the card..

By the way, in basic, the cursor flashes so fast, it almost appears solid.
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (04/13/89)

I just got a TWGS today & just started playing with it.  So far the only thing
I've noticed is a slight flickering of the screen on my RGB monitor (brighter
darker- brighter..)  It's very slight, but I don't remember it happening
before I put the TWGS in.  Anyone else seen this?

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (04/13/89)

One other note on TWGS:  it seems to have the same heat-sensitivity that the
TW//e had (?).  I've gotten many spurious re-powerups (just sitting there and
suddenly "Whooosh...")  Afterwards, ADB interrupts seem to be gone (can't
reboot... have to power down).  Since I've pulled the top, though, it hasn't
happened.  I think a cooling fan is about to be ordered.

--

sun@pro-nebulous.UUCP (Sun D*ct*r) (04/13/89)

>Well -- they have been presumably been shipping for several weeks now.
>Anyone have anything to report?

Several friends have one and can't say enough good about it.  They rave on
and on to the point that it's sickening.  <sigh>

  Dan Jones

FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET (David Oberhart) (04/13/89)

How will the new clock speed affect
the sound and music programs for the GS?
Will a whole new set of them have to come out to be compatible with
the TW GS?

shankar@haarlem.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (08/29/89)

I got my Transwarp GS card several months back, and was sent a 6.25 MHz
one with a promise of notification when the 7M ones come in.  Since I have
yet to be notified, I was wondering if anybody else has received the
upgrade yet?  Or for that matter, has anybody received any new 7M TWGS
cards?  If there are any recent purchasers, what speed did you get?
---

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (08/30/89)

In article <29363@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@haarlem.UUCP (Subash Shankar) writes:

>I got my Transwarp GS card several months back, and was sent a 6.25 MHz
>one with a promise of notification when the 7M ones come in.  Since I have
>yet to be notified, I was wondering if anybody else has received the
>upgrade yet?  Or for that matter, has anybody received any new 7M TWGS
>cards?  If there are any recent purchasers, what speed did you get?
>---
>Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center

Try ordering an 8 MHz W65C816 directly from Western Design, but good luck
actually getting one.  They have a $50 minimum order, call 602/962-4545.
At least you'll know how much of a profit AE is making when the official
upgrade finally arrives.

You probably also need a new crystal to run at 7.12 MHz (or whatever
works), but it would help if anyone actually has a working TransWarp GS
at that speed for parts comparison.  You see, the AE customer support
rep actually told me that a regular TransWarp (which I was ordering for
the Plus) could be speeded up as faster chips came out.  But upon
inspecting the actual circuit, there is no crystal - it uses the Apple
bus clock, and there is no ability for enhanced speed.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (08/31/89)

In regard to ordering an 8 mhz 65C816... I doubt you'll have much luck.

I have a developer friend who acquired a 9 mhz chip from Western Digital, and
he has his GS operating at 9 mhz.  (yep, I saw it myself).

However, it's not as easy as you would think.  First, he did some minor
surgery on the board, rewrote the ROM, and yes, there has to be a new crystal
attached.  Not something the average Joe User is capable of doing.

Just be patient and wait for miracles from Applied Engineering.

Lynda

btw, 9 mhz looks great!

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com