[comp.sys.apple] Sending sparse files via modem

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (08/30/89)

A reply to Dave Lyons' comment on sending sparse files via modem:

If the sparse file can fit on a 5.25" or 3.5" disk, why not just pack the
whole DISK with ShrinkIt and send that?

/\    Jerry Kindall    | JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL   | GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

The answer that evades our brains, we only think we're wearing chains
                                                  -- Utopia

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/31/89)

In article <21682@cup.portal.com> JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) writes:
>If the sparse file can fit on a 5.25" or 3.5" disk, why not just pack the
>whole DISK with ShrinkIt and send that?
>
>/\    Jerry Kindall    | JerryK@cup.portal.com
>  \/  Death to COBOL   | GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

Good idea.  (Normally packing to a disk wouldn't be preferable, since the user
might want to unpack to a different file system.  Sparseness is a pretty
ProDOS-specific thing, though.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.