[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS 3.O & ICON INFO

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (08/26/89)

GS/OS V3.0 has a neat feature in the ICON Information "window" when
displaying a folder and that is a "use calculate icon" msg which
instructs you to click on the calculator icon to get the size info of what
is contained in the folder.  There doesn't appear to be any reference to
this feature in the $49 manual set :-)

Anyhow I ran into a strange situation last night.  I asked for the
information for a folder I had (which contained six files) and clicked on
the calc idon and got the following information:

    SIZE:  126,524 bytes  643K on disk

This seems way out of whack with what I see when I do the same thing on my
other folders.  I would expect the numbers to be about the same.  I then
got information for each of the files in the folder individually and I got
the following:

    file 1	577,536 bytes    567k on disk
    file 2       65,496 bytes     65k on disk
    file 3        4,354 bytes      5k on disk
    file 4        2,077 bytes      3k on disk
    file 5        1,041 bytes      2k on disk
    file 6          158 bytes      1k on disk

Can anyone shed some light on this. I thought i knew what this feature
did but with this result I'm not quite sure.

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.dec.com      |
|                            |                   shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/26/89)

In article <698@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>[In Finder 1.3 Icon Info window for a folder]  I asked for the
>information for a folder I had (which contained six files) and clicked on
>the calc idon and got the following information:
>
>    SIZE:  126,524 bytes  643K on disk
>
>This seems way out of whack with what I see when I do the same thing on my
>other folders.  I would expect the numbers to be about the same.  I then
>got information for each of the files in the folder individually and I got
>the following:
>
>    file 1      577,536 bytes    567k on disk
>    file 2       65,496 bytes     65k on disk
>    file 3        4,354 bytes      5k on disk
>    file 4        2,077 bytes      3k on disk
>    file 5        1,041 bytes      2k on disk
>    file 6          158 bytes      1k on disk
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this. I thought i knew what this feature
>did but with this result I'm not quite sure.

My goodness...looks like a bug.  The total is so *close* to being off by
an exact multiple of 65536 ($10000) bytes, that it looks like the Finder
is ignoring the high word of the file size.  (Could the invisible Finder.Data
file in your folder account for the missing 149 bytes?)

Apparently, if all the files in a folder are smaller than 65536 bytes, the
Finder will compute the correct "bytes used."  There doesn't seem to be
any problem with "k on disk," so you can still pay attention to that to
get a rough idea of whether a folder is going to fit when you try to copy it
onto another disk, for example.

I'll report this to the FinderDudes.

Note that you *can* legitimately have files with larger byte-sizes than
their "k on disk" would indicate, at least on ProDOS disks.  This is
because ProDOS files can be "sparse"--long sequences of "zero" bytes
don't take up blocks.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/28/89)

Speakind of sparse ProDOS files....

What is the recommended way to send sparse files using a telecommunications
program?

Thanks!

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/29/89)

In article <UYyJBdS00WB347MHNI@andrew.cmu.edu> bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) writes:
>[...]
>What is the recommended way to send sparse files using a telecommunications
>program?

Hmmm...now *there's* an interesting question.  :-)

There doesn't seem to be a recommended way.  If the file isn't *too* sparse,
just don't worry about it--you'll get a non-sparse file at the other end
that's bigger than the original, if you receive/unpack it under ProDOS 8.
(Under GS/OS, the resulting file will still be sparse, but you will have
wasted some time transferring it.)

If you have a *really* sparse file (e.g., 16 Megs, with 100 bytes of
actual useful data), I recommend you use a telecommunications program
to send a message to the recipient saying "What's your address?  I need
to mail you a disk."  :-)

(Or send a program that can create the file, instead.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/31/89)

The question of the sparse file transmission came up because I had received
an EXE file that is used to change already compiled programs into Expressload
format...

the destination file was about 1.5 to 2 times larger than the original file.
idea:
Hmmm...a neat way of copy protecting files...

make it sparse, and have it check its size before running...anything that was
copied under ProDOS 8 or transmitted over a modem ends up not working...

great...wonderful evil thoughts

I had thought that only text files could be sparse...guess I was wrong...

:)