[comp.sys.apple] Copy ][+ upgrade

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/31/89)

I called Central Point Software (publisher of Copy ][+) and asked
when/if they were going to support the new file type available
with System disk 5.0. They responded, "we have a new version of
Copy ][+ coming out sometime this fall. So far, it is not
scheduled to support they new file type.  however, we are keeping
count of the number of inquiries and if there is "enough"
interest, we will probably support it."

There you have it gang, if you want the ability to use Copy ][+ to
copy the new resource fork file type, drop them a line or give
them a call at:

Central Point Software
15220 NW Greenbrier Pkwy
Beverton, OR 97006
(503) 690-8090 - Tech Support
(503) 690-6650 - 300-2400 baud Tech support BBS

Note that they have moved so the address and telephone numbers
differ from those given in your manual.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/01/89)

In article <1482@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>[...]
>There you have it gang, if you want the ability to use Copy ][+ to
>copy the new resource fork file type, drop them a line or [...]

The filetype of a file is actually no problem for a file-copying program:
the new thing here causing problems for Copy II Plus is a *storage type*
(specifically, storage type 5--"extended").

Files of *any* filetype can be "extended" (have two forks).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (09/01/89)

Remember, Copy II+ is a ProDOS 8 program.  Thus, it would be a LOT of
work to support extended files with resource forks!  Rather than asking
for an upgrade to work with extended files under ProDOS 8, ask for a
Copy II GS!  (While you're at it, ask them to do a nicer ProDOS 8 version
as well.  Copy II+ is very usable as it is but it would look much nicer
if it used 80 columns and lower case.)

Folks from Central Point were at an RTC on GEnie last Tuesday.  They say
that a Copy II GS is definitely a possibility, but (get this) Central Point
only has one person working on the Apple programs (and he shares time with
Laser Computer!).

One of the people in the audience at the conference said that GS/OS would
make writing Copy II GS "a snap", and that there were people at that very
conference who could probably do it in a week.

So, hackers, what's keeping you?  (Grin)

/\    Jerry Kindall    | JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL   | GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

The answer that evades our brains, we only think we're wearing chains
                                                  -- Utopia