[comp.sys.apple] APPLE

11SSTEIN@GALLUA.BITNET (10/04/87)

     I wonder if Apple IIgs has a built-in modem or hard-disk?
     How can I attach a hard disk to either Apple II+ or IIgs?
     As I know, IBM can become a fake apple through QUADLINK.
     Can Apple become a fake IBM?

     - Regards, Scott.

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (10/05/87)

  The GS has no built in modem or hard disk.  It does have a built in modem
port.
  Several companies make hard disks that can be attached to the various
Apple IIs.  All require an interface card, which frequently comes with the
disk.  Most newer hard disks use a SCSI interface, which Apple is pushing
as a standard.  Several companies make hard disks which can be used with
either an Apple II or a Mac, depending on which software you use to install
them.
  As far as I know, you can't yet emulate an IBM, but you should be able to
within the next few months as AE comes out with an emulation card.

jockc@killer.UUCP (Jock Cooper) (10/06/87)

In article <8710031814.aa26825@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, 11SSTEIN@GALLUA.BITNET writes:

>      As I know, IBM can become a fake apple through QUADLINK.
>      Can Apple become a fake IBM?

Applied Engineering's PC Transporter (previously codenamed "Little Blue")
will supposedly allow a ][+, //e or IIgs to run msdos.  AE anticipates
shipment of the product around November.

If you are interested I suggest you contact AE or get the September 87 issue
of A+ magazine which has a pretty good review of the product.

----------------------------+
jock  /  ihnp4!killer!jockc |
----------------------------+

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (10/06/87)

In article <SMOKE.8710031814.aa26825> 11SSTEIN@GALLUA.BITNET writes:

>     I wonder if Apple IIgs has a built-in modem or hard-disk?
No, it has neither built in. It does have a built-in
serial port ( 2 in fact ) so connecting an external
modem is simple.

>     How can I attach a hard disk to either Apple II+ or IIgs?
You need an interface card the plugs into one of the slots
in either machine.  You can get a SCSI interface card
and use a SCSI disk (20 meg +- $600 ).  There is also
Apple's Profile,but Apple does not make them any more.

>     As I know, IBM can become a fake apple through QUADLINK.
>     Can Apple become a fake IBM?
Yes, it can.  Have a look at the Lil blue card from Applied Eng.

>     - Regards, Scott.
Regards Allan Foster

Hey, You can't do that,  You're DEAD     --The living Daylights

Allan Foster                 UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
GEnie  : A.FOSTER                          AppleLink : UG0035
USPS   : 1340 SE 89 Portland OR 97216  Voice : (503) 257-0573
Voice :  (503) 252-1351           CSNet : afoster@Oregon-Grad

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (10/07/87)

RE: Apple as IBM

The September, 1987 _A+_ contains a long article on Applied Engineering's PC
Transporter (_A+_, 5(9), PC Transporter, 30-46, 1987), an Apple II card that
produces an XT-AT clone inside an Apple ][. Judging from the AE add on page
21 of the November _A+_, PC Transporter isn't quite ready yet. They give a
November delivery.

If anyone has tested beta versions, impressions will be of interest. Also,
those who buy early versions will hopefully report to this group.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

griswolf@mist.cs.orst.edu (Frank Griswold) (10/17/88)

For sale to ANY BIDDER

	2 microsci 70 track apple disk drives, including interface card
	  These run all the 8-bit OSs (some a bit more elegantly), and are
	  NOT BEING SUPPORTED. I paid (ridiculous by current standards)
	  over $400 for these babies, and upgraded to 800k drives. They are
	  not in the machine, but worked fine last I looked. All original
	  documents, patch disk, etc. (gladly check 'em out before sale)

	    ------------------ PLEASE MAKE AN OFFER -------------------
	  (I'll even talk donation for a tax break, but would prefer $$
	   or trade....I need game software for my 2e.. also educational
	   aimed at (bright of course.:-) 10 year olds. Other??	)

For sale at $70.00 (free shipping to USA or so)

	Avatex 1200 baud modem (no cable) ~1 year old, which became avail.
	when I went to 2400 baud. This is a moderately standard modem, with
	only one annoyance for me (besides the speed :-) ) : It does not
	detect or deal with busy signals, nor does it have a speaker so that
	you can do it youreslf (easily).
	If I'm WAY off on price, tell me nicely...If I'm pretty close, lets
	talk!

PLEASE dont post to the newsgroups with replys ("sorry" to those that know
better anyhow) because I rarely get enough time to read these. (I stick to
the important stuff like rec.humor.funny, or even to real work....) I will,
however, gladly deal with snail mail, phone calls, or other reasonable ways
of coping.

Frank Griswold				griswolf@mist.cs.orst.edu
904 NW 30th Ave				(503) 754 - 7405
Corvallis, OR	97330		(sometimes found at OSU Computer Science)

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (01/11/89)

The best I've seen (and I certainly admit to not having seen everything)
was in 1984/85, a few issues of Call Apple (now TechAlliance) magazine.
They actually documented the I/O locations that twiddle the drive, and
had code for a spiral protection scheme.

But, why would you want to directly access the drive hardware without
using DOS 3.X, ProDOS, or GS/OS?

All you're doing is guaranteeing incompatibility at some future date.
Must be copy protection.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (01/11/89)

Would the author of Z-Link let me know when the new
copy is out so I can archive it?  I still have an
old version hanging around with a note attached that
it is an old version, and a new one is forthcoming.

And we have re-arranged our archive a bit today.
The apple stuff is in pub/appleII.  It should be
a bit easier than it was to figure things out.
Now if only I could get that README file written....  hehe

Our site (for those that have just joined in) is
f.ms.uky.edu (128.163.128.6).

thanks!
--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu

rms@gorf.UUCP (Roger M. Shimada) (01/11/89)

In article <3995@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>But, why would you want to directly access the drive hardware without
>using DOS 3.X, ProDOS, or GS/OS?

Speed?  Something a little out of the ordinary?  (See below.)

>All you're doing is guaranteeing incompatibility at some future date.

Not for 5.25" drives.  The hardware for 5.25" drives is identical
throughout the entire // family.

Actually, the odds of any DOS of changing is _much_ higher.  Did
you notice how the 5.25" driver is not installed on the GS/OS
System disk?  (Though it is on the Tool disk provided.)

>Must be copy protection.

This is probably true for most people.

However, I think fast disk copies must rank in a strong second place.
Not having to format a disk before writing an entire disk saves time.
A hard disk backup program that didn't require formatted floppies to
back up on would be a good thing.
--
Roger M. Shimada						rms@gorf.mn.org

kornellm@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Kornell) (01/12/89)

In article <3995@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
> The best I've seen (and I certainly admit to not having seen everything)
> was in 1984/85, a few issues of Call Apple (now TechAlliance) magazine.
> They actually documented the I/O locations that twiddle the drive, and
> had code for a spiral protection scheme.
>
> But, why would you want to directly access the drive hardware without
> using DOS 3.X, ProDOS, or GS/OS?
>
> All you're doing is guaranteeing incompatibility at some future date.
> Must be copy protection.
> 					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Thanks to all the people who sent me information, through e-mail, and in this
group.  I did subscribe to Call A.P.P.L.E. for quite a while, I'll have to
look through my back issues to see if I can find anything useful.

This isn't a flame directed to Ralph Hyre, but because he brought it up, I
feel I have to say something:

	No, No, No.  I hate copy protection!  (Besides, just about all
	protection schemes on the Apple are soooo easy to break).  I'm
	not into pirating either, but all copy-protection does is drive
	up software prices, and as a student, I'm on a limited budget
	as it is.

What I really want to do is emulate the disk controller card in software,
for those who are wondering.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/13/89)

In article <486@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> kornellm@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Kornell) writes:
>	No, No, No.  I hate copy protection!  (Besides, just about all
>	protection schemes on the Apple are soooo easy to break).  I'm
>	not into pirating either, but all copy-protection does is drive
>	up software prices, and as a student, I'm on a limited budget
>	as it is.

I don't like "copy protection" either, if it makes backup or transfer
to hard disk impractical.  Fortunately many software publishers have
figured out ways to use accessory, often hard-to-reproduce, documentation
as the "key" for protection against piracy.

I don't think you can make a rational case for "copy protection driving
up software prices".  Certainly that is not the opinion of software
publishers.

>I don't think you can make a rational case for "copy protection driving
>up software prices".  Certainly that is not the opinion of software
>publishers.

What ho! A gauntlet thrown?

How's this: the software (sometimes hardware) needed to install
copy protection on mass produced disks isn't free either (not even
"shareware" ;-).  Since copy protection schemes generally are cracked
approximately 8 milliseconds after the first disk is sold, it's
necessary to keep investing in new (often more exotic = more expensive)
copy protection systems in order to stay ahead of the "backup"
programs (I doubt there are enough actual 'crackers' in the World to
have much economic significance all by themselves; it's their passion
for sharing their outcomes with everyone else that has impact).

Who do you suppose PAYS for all that investment in copy protection?
I doubt Lotus dropped copy protection just because users complained
about the inconvenience of keeping a "key disk" in the 'a' drive.
They did it because enough competing spreadsheet programs became
established in the market to lead to REAL price competition, and Lotus
could no longer maintain a margin large enough to include "passing the
copy protection costs along to the consumer."

I agree that the logic that piracy increases prices because producers
set prices high enough to pay for both the purchased and unregistered
copies is false.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

mattd@pnet01.cts.com (Matt Day) (08/23/89)

Why shouldn't I get an IBM?

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!mattd
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mattd@nosc.mil
INET: mattd@pnet01.cts.com

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (08/27/89)

Comment to message from: mattd@pnet01.cts.com (Matt Day)

> Why shouldn't I get an IBM?

Why should you?
|UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] ..!crash!pro-europa!paul   |     Texas SysOps Unite!      |
|INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com                 | Join COSUARD!  Let's Fight!  |
|ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil          |  See you on the 16th Kirk!   |

rbrown@pro-embassy.cts.com (Richard Brown) (09/01/89)

BYE