[comp.sys.apple] System Disk 5.0 Finder Trash Can

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (08/30/89)

I have a program which has it's own icon on my desktop.  When I drag
it into the trash can instead of giving me the full trashcan icon, I get
a system folder icon  (The one with the nifty colored apple on it).
Does anyone know what is happening??

-Gonzo

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) (08/31/89)

There are a number of pecularities with icons, which I believe are
intensified under 5.0.  Would someone address the subject of icons for us
and indicate what is and is not permitted to be done now?  And is there
a simple tool which , given a file of icons, would attempt to print out
for the user a list of what is 'in' the icon (other than the graphic
of course)...

--
Larry Virden via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!lwv

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/02/89)

In article <21294.24FCBFAE@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) writes:
>There are a number of pecularities with icons, which I believe are
>intensified under 5.0.  Would someone address the subject of icons for us
>and indicate what is and is not permitted to be done now?  And is there
>a simple tool which , given a file of icons, would attempt to print out
>for the user a list of what is 'in' the icon (other than the graphic
>of course)...

You can edit the appearance of icons provided with the system, but you
should not add icons to or remove icons from the system-provided files
(Finder.Icons and Finder.Icons.x).  You can add your own icons in
separate files.  You shouldn't create "duplicates" of any special icons
in the system files--for example, if you want your own trash-can icon,
edit the one in Finder.Icons rather than adding your own.

I don't know of a program that will print out an icon file.  Eventually
I'll add printing to DIcEd, but I haven't done it yet.  I'll probably
also add some logic to warn you when you're doing something you're
not supposed to do (like having a "match-everything" icon anywhere but
at the very end of Finder.Icons).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.