[comp.sys.apple] Resource Manger or Toolset 30

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (08/29/89)

2
3
4(not sure how many lines are dropped from the mailer)

I have a question about the new Resource Manager, and how it is use.
For example on a mac with MPW you would include the Types.r which tell
what a 'DLOG' should look like, along with other types of resources.
A Macintosh(sorry, but no other examples are available to me which use
a resource) would look something like this.

 #include "Types.r"

resource 'DLOG' (130, "Dialog1") {
	{39, 70, 139, 431},
	dBoxProc,
	invisible,
	noGoAway,
	0x1,
	130,
	"Dialog1"
};

How would a person create a new style resource on the IIGS?  Also,
what types of resources are standard, or available.  Has anyone used
the resource manager yet?  Or should I say toolset 30?  Even if the header
is  not available, I would guess that we could make our own header, but
would probably need a resource compiler or something?

Scott hutinger     mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/30/89)

In article <8908291002.aa11691@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) writes:
>[...]
>I have a question about the new Resource Manager, and how it is use.
>For example on a mac with MPW you would include the Types.r which tell
>what a 'DLOG' should look like, along with other types of resources.
>A Macintosh(sorry, but no other examples are available to me which use
>a resource) would look something like this. [...]

You can do extremely similar stuff with the APW "Rez" resource compiler
that will be available from APDA.

>How would a person create a new style resource on the IIGS?  Also,
>what types of resources are standard, or available.  Has anyone used
>the resource manager yet?

I won't try to describe all the standard resource types here--they're
in the documentation APDA will have.  I know there are people out there
using the Resource Manager--don't know whether their products are
commercially available yet.  (The system itself uses the resource manager
in some instances.)

If you want to create your own resources and don't have "Rez", you can
always write a little program to create them--an extremely miniature
resource compiler, for example, could take a list of files and resource
types/IDs, and cram each file into an appropriate resource.  It would
do this by making Resource Manager calls like CreateResourceFile,
OpenResourceFile, AddResource, and CloseResourceFile (as well as GS/OS
calls to read file contents into handles provided by NewHandle).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) (08/31/89)

David, will the GS Rez be APW specific, or will it be a separate item
that folks with Orca/C could purchase and use?  Does it produce C code,
or just resource files, or what?  I am not up much on resources
<sigh>.

--
Larry Virden via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!lwv

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/02/89)

In article <21295.24FCBFB2@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) writes:
>David, will the GS Rez be APW specific, or will it be a separate item
>that folks with Orca/C could purchase and use?  Does it produce C code,
>or just resource files, or what?  I am not up much on resources
><sigh>.

It won't be APW specific--it'll work fine under the ORCA shells, too.
Rez just produces files with resource forks; it doesn't produce source
code that you then need to compile.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/03/89)

In article <21295.24FCBFB2@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> lwv@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG (Larry Virden) writes:
>David, will the GS Rez be APW specific, or will it be a separate item
>that folks with Orca/C could purchase and use?

If it worked under APW, why wouldn't it work under the Orca shell?