[comp.sys.apple] System 5.0/interleave

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (08/31/89)

While playing around with the Formatter program posted on comp.binaries.apple2
recently, I came across an obscure Finder bug.

It seems that if you boot up System 5.0 to the Finder off a floppy with
a certain interleave (say, 2:1, volume name 'System.disk'), eject it by
dragging inot the trash can (I can't stand all these cute icons), and then
put in another disk *with a different interleave* than the boot volume,
but the same volume name, Finder thinks that the original disk is still
on the desktop, although it's not.  If you put in the original, or another
disk with the same name and same interleave, it works fine.  It also works
OK if after booting, you put in 'System.disk2', eject it (trash) and then
insert another 'System.disk2' with a differnet interleave.

Aside from the above topic, is there any reason why after copying files from
one volume to another with the Finder, the source directory gets selected
and deselected three or four times?

Henry

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (09/01/89)

In article <12313@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, throoph.jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU
  (Henry Throop) writes:

>It seems that if you boot up System 5.0 to the Finder off a floppy with
>a certain interleave (say, 2:1, volume name 'System.disk'), eject it by
>dragging inot the trash can (I can't stand all these cute icons), and then
>put in another disk *with a different interleave* than the boot volume,
>but the same volume name, Finder thinks that the original disk is still
>on the desktop, although it's not.  [...]

Are you sure that it doesn't do that with a disk named SYSTEM.DISK of ANY
interleave?  I thought that was to make sure that GS/OS didn't try to read
the tools from the wrong disk.  If you had a disk that was named SYSTEM.DISK
but didn't have the tools, or had different tool versions, I think it would
probably screw things up.  I think the Finder is just trying to take
precautions against this happening.
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (09/02/89)

In article <825@xroads.UUCP> cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) writes:
<<It seems that if you boot up System 5.0 to the Finder off a floppy with
<<a certain interleave (say, 2:1, volume name 'System.disk'), eject it by
<<dragging into the trash can (I can't stand all these cute icons), and then
<
<Are you sure that it doesn't do that with a disk named SYSTEM.DISK of ANY
<interleave?  I thought that was to make sure that GS/OS didn't try to read
<the tools from the wrong disk.  If you had a disk that was named SYSTEM.DISK
<but didn't have the tools, or had different tool versions, I think it would
<probably screw things up.  I think the Finder is just trying to take
<precautions against this happening.

I haven't tried it, but I bet you're right on this.  Finder probably reads
in a track or so for it to keep track of different disks, and with a different
interleave, the track image would be different.  It might also be the system
that keeps track, so you don't put in the wrong disk when loading tools, etc.
In any event, the error message Fider gives ('The volume "System.disk" is
already on the desktop...') is misleading.

Henry

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (09/05/89)

From article <825@xroads.UUCP>, by cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk):

> In article <12313@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, throoph.jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU
>   (Henry Throop) writes:
>
>>It seems that if you boot up System 5.0 to the Finder off a floppy with
>>a certain interleave (say, 2:1, volume name 'System.disk'), eject it by
>>[..]
>>but the same volume name, Finder thinks that the original disk is still
>>on the desktop, although it's not.  [...]

You mean it asks for it back again....  (It should.)

> Are you sure that it doesn't do that with a disk named SYSTEM.DISK of ANY
> interleave? [..]
> I think the Finder is just trying to take precautions against this happening.
> --
> \  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s

In my humble opinion: this is exactly correct.  If I boot from my hard drive
and the cutie system folder comes up with the apple in it, then drop in my
3.5" system.disk, the sytem folder on the 3.5 will not display the cutie
little apple ;-).  (Try it yourself.)  Obviously, the system does not see
the 3.5 as the "Master" tool set, only the system folder it booted from.
This is Apple's way to keep the system from being confused as to who's
boss.

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |