[comp.sys.apple] Apples FTP site

bevans@pro-oz.cts.com (Brian Evans) (09/04/89)

> From: obsolete!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET%cunyvm.cuny.edu (Murph Sewall)
> Subject: Re: Kinko's press release

>>APPLE AND KINKO'S CALL FOR NEW ACADEMIC
>>SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
>>
>Just a reminder that this, and other press releases are available in ASCII
>format for FTP access at Apple (130.43.2.2).  Look in the dts/press
>directory.

> On behalf of the many of us who do NOT have 'ftp' maybe someone could
> amuse themselves installing a 'server' that could send press releases
> (and other useful files) as email?  Something on the order of
> archive-server@decwrl.dec.com might do the job.

> The last I heard, Apple and DEC were 'cooperating' with one another.
> Perhaps that cooperation could be extended to the archive-server code
> (why reinvent the wheel, except for the fun of it).  I really haven't
> much information about the internal workings of Internet mailfile servers,
> maybe the service@sri-nic.arpa is better or less expensive for the purpose?

Fellow Netters,
                I would just like to comment on what Murph said detailed above.
I am running a proline site in Australia and my decision to setup this site
was based around the fact that apple support is very limited down here
and that Fidonet is useless. It was a little disappointing when I found out
what an FTP site really was.  Therefore, the introduction of an FTP site
for the good of all by apple last month, really meant nothing to myself
and my fellow users who are very keen on this conference.  I think that a
LISTSERV at apple would be great.  Being able to get the information via
EMAIL that the apple FTP site affords would be a real vote winner down here
in Australia.  Thankyou for your time and the chance to voice another opinion.

Brian Evans                    Fax  +61 3 387-0158
P.O Box 232                    Compuserve:  72500,1355
Avondale Heights 3034          "That's not a knife, This is a Knife!"
Victoria, Australia.             - Crocodile Dundee

Internet:       bevans@pro-oz.cts.com     Proline:        bevans@pro-oz
 Arpanet:       crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-oz!bevans@nosc.mil
    uucp:       crash!pnet01!pro-party!pro-oz!bevans

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/04/89)

In article <8909040300.AA26232@trout.nosc.mil> bevans@pro-oz.cts.com (Brian Evans) writes:
-It was a little disappointing when I found out
-what an FTP site really was.  Therefore, the introduction of an FTP site
-for the good of all by apple last month, really meant nothing to myself
-and my fellow users who are very keen on this conference.
-Internet:       bevans@pro-oz.cts.com     Proline:        bevans@pro-oz

I don't know why.  As an InterNet site you should be able to access the
files by FTP (one of the basic InterNet standard protocols).

Personally FTP is what I prefer.  I already snarfed some tech notes
that for some reason my APDA subscription failed to obtain for me.
It's a great service!

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (09/05/89)

In article <8909040300.AA26232@trout.nosc.mil> bevans@pro-oz.cts.com (Brian Evans) writes:

>Fellow Netters,
>                I would just like to comment on what Murph said detailed above.
>I am running a proline site in Australia and my decision to setup this site
>was based around the fact that apple support is very limited down here
>and that Fidonet is useless. It was a little disappointing when I found out
>what an FTP site really was.  Therefore, the introduction of an FTP site
>for the good of all by apple last month, really meant nothing to myself
>and my fellow users who are very keen on this conference.  I think that a
>LISTSERV at apple would be great.  Being able to get the information via
>EMAIL that the apple FTP site affords would be a real vote winner down here
>in Australia.  Thankyou for your time and the chance to voice another opinion.

I have been distributing the files which are available to someone who is
supposed to be supplying the ProLine sites...and Australia is an area mentioned
as on the distribution list.  If you are not receiving them, then we have
a problem.

As for a LISTSERV (and anonymous UUCP for others), once again all I can say
is be patient.  There is a lot going on right now and we cannot do it all
at the same time (regardless of the amount of caffeine we consume).  Just
please hang in there and understand that the FTP site was just the FIRST
step.  You'll have to trust me on this one.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

On Mon, 4 Sep 89 05:36:56 GMT you said:
>-It was a little disappointing when I found out
>-what an FTP site really was.  Therefore, the introduction of an FTP site
>-for the good of all by apple last month, really meant nothing to myself
>-and my fellow users who are very keen on this conference.
>-Internet:       bevans@pro-oz.cts.com     Proline:        bevans@pro-oz
>
>I don't know why.  As an InterNet site you should be able to access the
>files by FTP (one of the basic InterNet standard protocols).

Ah, but Brian is NOT an Internet site!  A host with a domain style address
doesn't equate to an Internet site.  A check of your nameserver will reveal
that 'anyhost.cts.com' is MX'd by 'nosc.mil' and actually is a <gasp!>
UUCP host.  Those of us on BITNET aren't really in any better shape which
is why I've inquired about Apple obtaining the archive-server software
from DEC.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could