[comp.sys.apple] GS Memory Expansion Card

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (08/28/89)

Back when the GS was first released, I seem to remember seeing that
the Apple Memory Expansion card for the GS could be used to add
either 1 meg or 4 megs of memory, while third party cards would add
much more..

Well someone has now asked me how they can increase their Apple card
from 1 meg to 4. Simple I thought, just replace the 256k chips with
1 meg chips and presto.... But wait a second, the first 8 chips are
soldered in.... can any of the DTS folks supply a helpful answer please?
How does one make the memory card into a 4 meg card???

Many thanks in advance for your help!

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu     or     bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
bsherman@pro-exchange                  MCI Mail:   BSHERMAN

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (08/29/89)

I have a two meg Checkmate GS RAM card, with four banks of 256k chips and 1
bank of 1-meg chips.  In other words, I have a card that has mixed chips on
it.  I had quite a few compatibility problems with these mixed chips until I
got a new motherboard (I had one of the original Woz limited edition logic
boards).  Now that I have the new board, my problems are solved, but I
wouldn't recommend this card to anyone unless they purchase it with the chips
directly from Checkmate.

However, the one meg chips are larger than the 256k chips; you can't just
replace one chip size for another.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/29/89)

In article <725@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>[...] How does one make the [Apple IIgs] memory card into a 4 meg card???

As far as I know, the Apple card is limited to 1 meg.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dannyk@pro-avalon.cts.com (Dan Kennedy) (09/03/89)

Network Comment: to #11542 by dlyons@apple.com

Yes, the Apple Memory card is limited to 1 Meg.  However, there are third
party cards that offer up to 4 Megs.  Now if Apple would just switch those
GS's to SIMM bank memory...

hackman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Otto Heuer) (09/05/89)

dannyk@pro-avalon.cts.com (Dan Kennedy) writes:
>Network Comment: to #11542 by dlyons@apple.com
>
>Yes, the Apple Memory card is limited to 1 Meg.  However, there are third
>party cards that offer up to 4 Megs.  Now if Apple would just switch those
>GS's to SIMM bank memory...

Can't you get 8 Megs with 3rd party cards?

    OOO  OOO   OOOOO     OOOO    OOO  OOO    OOO    OOOO   OOOOO    OOO  OOO
   OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OO  OOO OOO     OOOO  OOOOO  OOO  OOO  OOOO OOO
  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOO      OOOOOO  OOO OOO O O OOO  OOOOOOOO  OOO OOOO
 OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OO  OOO OOO     OOO  OO OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO
OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO    OOOO   OOO  OOO    OOO     OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO  OOO

"Life's a bit, then you shift." --Dr. SARCASTIC
------- Otto Heuer (HACK-MAN) Moneywell Commercial Fright Systems -------
UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!hackman
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!hackman@nosc.mil
INET: hackman@pnet51.cts.com     ottoh@cfsmo.honeywell.com (in November '89)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/05/89)

In article <970@orbit.UUCP> hackman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Otto Heuer) writes:
>Can't you get 8 Megs with 3rd party cards?

Yes, in fact MDIdeas's OctoRAM supported 8MB on one card using 1Mbit SIMMs.
Somebody told me that MDIdeas has gone out of business; is that true?
Is the OctoRAM still available from some vendor?

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/06/89)

MDIdeas has not gone out of business, as far as I know.  I have an OctoRAM
card from them that was purchased in June.  Strange that they no longer
advertise the OctoRAM, nor do most mail order places carry it, but I've
got one, and it has 4 meg on board and performs flawlessly.  We still
have dealerships that stock their other products, so I think news of their
death is a little premature.
|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |