[comp.sys.apple] ROM-3 GS Memory Expansion slot

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/06/89)

In article <8909021018.AA01275@trout.nosc.mil> sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>Can anyone comment on the memory expansion slot in the new version of the
>Apple IIGS (IIbdGS).  I am wondering how compatible this slot is with the
>original IIGS, and what will happen if you were to stick a memory expansion
>card (such as Apple's own, or an AE card) into the slot. Would the machine get
>confused and sit there twiddling its thumbs? Would the extra memory be mapped
>above and beyond the motherboard RAM?   Just wondering.

Apple's card works fine--yes, the extra RAM is mapped above the motherboard
RAM.

Third-party cards work fine *if* they use the signals intended for deciding
which row of RAM chips to activate at a given time.  As I understand it,
some 3rd-party cards ignore these signals and decode the address bus directly,
allowing them to get more rows of chips on the card than they could otherwise.
Such cards need to be revised to work properly in the ROM-3 GS.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/06/89)

All right, if there are certain incompatible cards, which are they?  I know
that Applied Engineering cards are incompatible, as relayed to me by
a local dealer, but what about others?  I have an OctoRAM board
with 4 megs under the hood of a Turbo->28 ROM prototype GS that has
worked flawlessly for two months.  Should I worry?
|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (09/07/89)

> Network Comment: to #9675 by rewing@apple.com
>
> CS-ID: #9675.apple.ii/info-apple@pro-colony 1087 chars
> Date: Wed,  6 Sep 89 04:20:59 CST
> From: rewing@apple.com (Richard Ewing)
> Subject: Re: ROM-3 GS Memory Expansion slot
>
> All right, if there are certain incompatible cards, which are they?  I know
> that Applied Engineering cards are incompatible, as relayed to me by
> a local dealer, but what about others?  I have an OctoRAM board
> with 4 megs under the hood of a Turbo->28 ROM prototype GS that has
> worked flawlessly for two months.  Should I worry?

The AE GS-Ram Ultra works fine in the new IIGS and the other GS memory cards
by AE supposadly only need a new PAL.

(you really should call the manufaturer for the answers to this type of
question - like I did - before posting an answer like that.)

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil