[comp.sys.apple] Questions from a new owner

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (07/20/89)

As far as backing things up, I'd use, CopyII+.  That has a rather extensive,
easy to use Param. Files.

For a configuration, if a Hard drive is a finacial possibility, I would go with
upping the memory to a full 1 meg on the card, and then getting a hard drive.
With setting the maximum RAMDISK at 800K that's as good as having a second 3.5".
The hard drive isn't really necessary, but it sure is nice ( you probably know
that though from owning/using an IBM)

Finally, I'd take a good look at ORCA 'C' or Pascal.  Personnally I like Pascal,
and it would be a good jump start for the kids (although, I guess statistics
show that people entering College who have had previous programming experience
do worse than those who are learning for the first time, but I am not completely
convinced of that).

aptc1%mkvax1@msus1.bitnet

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/21/89)

In article <33296@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>There is lot of technical documentation for the GS; it just doesn't come in
>the box.  There are two major sources:  Addison-Wesley and APDA.
>
>You can reach APDA at 1-800-282-APDA, and you can buy/order Addison-Wesley
>reference manuals at your local bookstore.  If you can find any A-W book in
>stock, browse through it and you'll find a list of many of the other manuals,
>too.  (I believe the APDA catalog lists all the Addison-Wesley GS books, too.)

APDA does currently carry all of the currently available Apple Technical Library
books that Addison-Wesley publishes, including all of the Apple IIGS-related
titles.  For information about new calls and GS/OS beyond what is covered in the
Addison-Wesley books, the following references are available through APDA:

A0009LL/A -- Apple IIGS Toolbox Reference Update -- $30.00
A2F2037 -- GS/OS Reference, Volume 1, Beta Draft -- $35.00
A0008LL/A -- GS/OS Reference, Volume 2, Beta Draft -- $35.00

Apple IIGS System Software v.5.0 is not yet available through APDA, nor is any
System 5.0 specific documentation available at this time.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@apple.com
AppleLink:  FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

wagner@pucc.Princeton.EDU (John Wagner) (08/15/89)

I just bought a IIGS for  my children (why? because they have apple IIs
in the school district) and being a mainframe type I have no idea what
sources of info exist (except for this list).  I'm looking for suggestions
for:

1.  What magazines(s) should I subscribe to? (The kids are simply users, I       want to play).

2.  Where do I find documentation on ProDOS(8/16)?  I thought IBM was bad
    but the lack of documentation for the GS is astounding (IBM provides 1
    set of technical manuals with the operating sytem, the most technical
    manual with the GS was the BASIC overview and it doesn't even include
    the full syntax).  Which manuals do I need to understand the GS and          which ones are really only useful for someone doing assembler level          code?

3.  I have a Hayes 2400 modem (and the cable needed to make the external
    connection to the modem port).  Where can I find a reasonable
    free/shareware terminal emulator?  I'll be dialing into a protocol
    converter so the terminal type that is emulated is less important
    than the robustness of the code.

4.  I current have 512K with 1 3.5 and 1 5.25 drive.  Given this                 configuration would you add a hard disk or add another 3.5 and
    expand memory (or some other combination)?

5.  How do you handle making a backup of copy protected disks?

6.  What programming language (other than assembler, I do enough of that at
    work) would you recommend?  And from which vendor (if more than 1
    supports it)?  Is there a single standard for the format of the compiled
    code or is this proprietary from vendor to vendor?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/16/89)

In article <9500@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> wagner@pucc.Princeton.EDU (John Wagner) writes: [...]
>2.  Where do I find documentation on ProDOS(8/16)?  I thought IBM was bad
>    but the lack of documentation for the GS is astounding (IBM provides 1
>    set of technical manuals with the operating sytem, the most technical
>    manual with the GS was the BASIC overview and it doesn't even include
>    the full syntax).  Which manuals do I need to understand the GS and
>    which ones are really only useful for someone doing assembler level
>    code? [...]

There is lot of technical documentation for the GS; it just doesn't come in
the box.  There are two major sources:  Addison-Wesley and APDA.

You can reach APDA at 1-800-282-APDA, and you can buy/order Addison-Wesley
reference manuals at your local bookstore.  If you can find any A-W book in
stock, browse through it and you'll find a list of many of the other manuals,
too.  (I believe the APDA catalog lists all the Addison-Wesley GS books, too.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

Message from AUGUST 15 arrives SEP 5!  Did someone accuse the postman of
being a tad slow?  Ain't technology a hoot?

On Tue, 15 Aug 89 16:04:09 GMT you said:
>1.  What magazines(s) should I subscribe to? (The kids are simply users, I
> want to play).

In spite of the recent invective, if your serious about Apple II's you can't
live without A2-Central!  I'm not up to a level where I can follow the
majority of the stuff in there, but I've been so impressed with Tom
Weishaar going back his DOS-Talk columns in the late, lamented Soft-Talk,
that I've even ordered the (bound) back issues (with cross-references so
you can *actually* find what you're looking for).

$28 for one year, $54 for 2

A2-Central
P.O. Box 11250
Overland Park, KS 66207

You're one of those people that speaks hex for a living, so you
can benefit from a subscription to Call-A.P.P.L.E.  You can subscribe to
the magazine alone for $21 per year, but it makes sense to belong to the
A.P.P.L.E. CooP (one-time application fee of $23 plus $26 per year which
INCLUDES a subsription to the magazine).

Call-A.P.P.L.E.
290 S.W. 43rd Street
Renton, WA 98055

>2.  Where do I find documentation on ProDOS(8/16)?  I thought IBM was bad
>    but the lack of documentation for the GS is astounding...

Apple has documentation out the ying-yang.  So much so that they've been
overwhelmed (threatening to become a publishing giant while trying to
make and sell computers).  They've turned almost the whole docs enterprise
over to Addison-Wessley Publishing.  You can get a decent deal on the
titles from Barnes & Noble (and other discount bookstores).  I expect
other subscribers to comp.sys.apple will besiege you with suggested titles
and Library of Congress numbers.

>3.  I have a Hayes 2400 modem (and the cable needed to make the external
>    connection to the modem port).  Where can I find a reasonable
>    free/shareware terminal emulator?  I'll be dialing into a protocol
>    converter so the terminal type that is emulated is less important
>    than the robustness of the code.

It's hard to beat Kermit-65 for both price (free) and robustness of code
(VT100 emulation works super with Yale ASCII; also will download software
from PUCC as a bonus).  You can get the files by anonymous ftp from
cunixc.cc.columbia.edu or email to KERMSRV@CUVMA <--NOTE Spelling only one 'E'

SEND APP385.1
SEND APP385.2
SEND APPLE.DOC

the hard part is downloading or capturing the two APP385 text files onto
a DOS 3.3 disk so you can EXEC them into a working Kermit program (the
KERMIT385 'B' <binary> file can be copied to ProDOS where it can be BRUN
under BASIC.SYSTEM).

>5.  How do you handle making a backup of copy protected disks?

With much knashing of teeth.  There are *bunches* of programs out there,
but I've found the single most useful one to be Copy 2 Plus (available
from mail order sources just about everywhere).

I generally avoid copy protected stuff except when I can buy games for
the kids from 'obsolete' stock at Applefest for $3 a copy (at those prices,
if one gets trashed, that's life).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET (Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore) (09/07/89)

For magazines, personally can't reccompend much.  For serious users there
is Nibble and Incider/A+.  For a good magazine about removing
copy protection forrom disketts, there is Computist.

kreme@netcom.UUCP (Kreme The Immortal) (09/07/89)

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>Someone else (lost it) wrote:
>>5.  How do you handle making a backup of copy protected disks?
>
>With much knashing of teeth.  There are *bunches* of programs out there,
>but I've found the single most useful one to be Copy 2 Plus (available
>from mail order sources just about everywhere).

The best thing to do is subsribe to Computist.  Not only will it give
you reliable methods for deprotecting software, if will also teach you
more in a few issues about the apple, Dos and ProDOS than you would
normally learn in a year.  There are also hints on how to paly games,
files to edit games, reviews of new products (soft and hardware), and lots
of other stuff.

Computist
PO Box 110846-T
Tacoma, WA  98411
(206) 474-5750
24$ per 8 issues (about a year)

--
|  apple!netcom!kreme  |All the towns in America and I have to move to |
|The real cycle you're |the Bermuda Triangle.  Nightmare on Elm Street |