[comp.sys.apple] Binscii nightmare

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/02/89)

Speaking of things to put in Shrinkit, can Andy build in Binscii
into the Shrinkit program?  For reasons that still escape me, this
program has *never* worked for me, and I've downloaded it three
times already.  I "brun" it, and it just returns me to the "]"
prompt as if nothing happened.  I'm tearing my face out on this
one, so maybe Andy will build it into Shrinkit so I won't have to
put up with this agony.  Either that, or could somebody fathom
a clue into what I'm doing wrong???

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/02/89)

In article <34491@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>Speaking of things to put in Shrinkit, can Andy build in Binscii
>into the Shrinkit program?

He probably could, but it would take up a lot of space, and ShrinkIt is pretty
tight already.  I thought about adding it to NuARC, but I'm already looking at
a 150-block load file... I don't want to make it TOO huge.  Any opinions
on this?

>                            For reasons that still escape me, this
>program has *never* worked for me, and I've downloaded it three
>times already.  I "brun" it, and it just returns me to the "]"
>prompt as if nothing happened.

You can BRUN a SYS file?  I thought you had to use the "-" command... check
the file type, the aux type, and take a peek at the first few bytes of code
(just see if it looks like a BRUNable file).

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

markl@pro-generic.cts.com (Mark Leumanne) (09/06/89)

Network Comment: to #4714 by rewing@apple.com

If it's a BASIC program you want to convert to TXT, add a line #0 like this:

0 T$="filename":?CHR$(4);"OPEN ";T$:?CHR$(4);"WRITE ";T$:POKE 33,33:?"0";:LIST
1-:?CHR$(4);"CLOSE"

Then type:

]RUN

And you're ready!

  ==========::Mark::Leumanne::============  ======::Toronto::Ontario::=====
 =                                        ==                               =
 = UUCP: crash!pro-generic!markl          ==       "Apple ][ forever."     =
 = ARPA: crash!pro-generic!markl@nosc.mil ==       "Beatles forever."      =
 = INET: markl@pro-generic.cts.com        ==       "Networking forever."   =
 =                                        ==                               =
  ========================================  ===============================
 = CD 61 72 6B : CC 65 75 6D 61 6E 6E 65 : CC 6F 76 65 73 : C1 D0 D0 CC C5 =

On Tue, 5 Sep 89 15:44:32 EDT you said:
>Network Comment: to #4714 by rewing@apple.com
>
>If it's a BASIC program you want to convert to TXT, add a line #0 like this:

I forget to change the subject line too ;-)

I'll try and remember to do better if you do!  The content of your post
and the subject are orthogonal (have NOTHING to do with one another ;-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could