[net.movies] De Palma/Phantom of the Paradise

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (11/05/84)

In article <1934@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:

>     Brian De Palma is a difficult case.  He has talent; extrava-
>gant amounts, in some areas.  He knows how to move a camera
>around, his films tend to be nicely shot and edited, and he's a
>fine comedy director.  But he has no taste and no shame and no
>sensitivity.

You should track down and watch 'Phantom of the Paradise'. DePalma actually
put together a nice film that doesn't particularly upset anyone except the
satanists in the audience. I also thought that 'Blow out' was quite a good
film.

Speaking of Phantom of the Paradise, I've been looking for a copy of this
film for my vcr library-- it simply doesn't seem to be available anywhere
locally. Has anyone out there found a copy, and if so, where? I'm going to
start tracking it down through a couple of mail order firms, but if someone
has already succeeded I'd love to shorten the search pattern.

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

hobbit@sunybcs.UUCP (Thomas Pellitieri) (11/06/84)

In article <1827@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) writes:
>In article <1934@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>>
>>     Brian De Palma is a difficult case.  He has talent; extrava-
>>gant amounts, in some areas.  He knows how to move a camera
>>around, his films tend to be nicely shot and edited, and he's a
>>fine comedy director.  But he has no taste and no shame and no
>>sensitivity.
>
>You should track down and watch 'Phantom of the Paradise'. DePalma actually
>put together a nice film that doesn't particularly upset anyone except the
>satanists in the audience. I also thought that 'Blow out' was quite a good
>film.

Also, try to track down his film "Home Movies", a wonderful comedy about a
college student who is "just an extra in his own life's story".

				From the Headquarters of the
				Campaign for Real Time,
				-The Parker Hobbit

--
decvax!sunybcs!hobbit  or   seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!hobbit

"We're Old Souls in a new life baby.
 They gave us a new life to live and learn;
 Some time to touch old friends and still return."

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/07/84)

"Phantom of the Paradise" is far from De Palma's only good film.  "Home
Movies" is a great little comedy, as is "Get to Know Your Rabbit".
"Obsession" is a fine Hitchcock tribute, rather than rip-off.  "Greetings"
and "Hi Mom!" also have good reputations, and "Sisters" and "Carrie", while
rather bloody, are good horror films which do not spill over the border into
excess.  Notice, however, that the most recent  film I mentioned ("Home
Movies") is from 1979.  De Palma once made good movies, but it's been a
while, and he's getting worse, not better.
--

					Peter Reiher
					reiher@ucla-cs.arpa