[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS FST and lowercase names

stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com (Stowe Keller) (09/07/89)

re: allowing lowercase-period = space chr in ProDOS filenames

        I can think of a good reason not to allow spaces in ProDOS filenames:
it would screw up all the existing command line shells for ProDOS which use
the space chr as a delimiter between multiple filenames, option switches, etc.

                        Stowe

Stowe Keller                            Author of ProDOS8 LIST utility
CompuServe: 71540,725       GEnie: SKELLER       BIX: stowekeller
UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller@nosc.mil
INET: stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/08/89)

In article <8909070849.AA13070@trout.nosc.mil> stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com (Stowe Keller) writes:
>re: allowing lowercase-period = space chr in ProDOS filenames
>
>        I can think of a good reason not to allow spaces in ProDOS filenames:
>it would screw up all the existing command line shells for ProDOS which use
>the space chr as a delimiter between multiple filenames, option switches, etc.

The suggestion wasn't to allow blanks in the filenames exactly, but for the
ProDOS FST under GS/OS to treat "." and Blank as upper- and lower-case
versions of the same character, the same way it does now for "A" and "a",
"B" and "b", ..., "Z" and "z".

This might well confuse users.

Command shells would probably not be in much trouble:  ProDOS 8 applications
would not be affected; GS/OS shells *already* need to deal with blanks (and
gazillions of other weird characters) in filenames, for compatibility with
AppleShare and any other file systems which may be available under GS/OS in
the future.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.