[comp.sys.apple] Language card question

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (09/06/89)

For my own bizarre reasons, I want to put a language card in my //e (slot 1
specifically).  I borrowed a lang. card from a ][+ owner.  However, when
I powered up my //e, the autostart ROM on the card took over; ie., I
was restricted to upper case, had the "flashing box" cursor, oa-ctrl-reset
didn't reboot, etc.

After examining the card, I noticed that there were two places where one
might modify the card by cutting the "bow tie" or soldering two pads.  One
such place was in the upper right of the card; the other was in the center
along the bottom edge of it (don't remember which was which).

I am hoping that by soldering and/or cutting the appropriate pad(s), I
might be able to use the card as memory, without having the autostart
ROM take over my computer.  I am further hoping that someone out there
might be able to point out the appropriate course of action.
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (09/08/89)

In article <606@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) writes:
>For my own bizarre reasons, I want to put a language card in my //e (slot 1
>
>I am hoping that by soldering and/or cutting the appropriate pad(s), I
>might be able to use the card as memory, without having the autostart
>ROM take over my computer.  I am further hoping that someone out there
>might be able to point out the appropriate course of action.

The pads and bow ties are intended to allow the use of ROMs which have
inverted Chip Enable signals.  That doesn't prevent you from hacking
them, so I'll take a look at the schematic tonight and tell you which
lines to change.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP