[comp.sys.apple] 10000 GS Handles?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (09/08/89)

In article <1989Sep6.180417.26622@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>[...]
>   Also, I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of blocks of
>memory that can be allocated through the memory manager?  Could I, for instance,
>allocate 10000 100 byte blocks? (assuming I had 10000*100=1meg memory)

Not sure if you can have that many handles, but you don't *want* to--some
memory manager operations would get very slow.  (Plus, there is currently
a 20-byte overhead for each handle you allocate, so you'd be wasting about
20% of the memory by allocating truckloads of 100-byte blocks.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.